ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight I Should Be At Banks Field

Mar 14, 2003
Opening home conference weekend for Iowa was this week against Purdue. I was slated to go today and tomorrow before the obvious. Still makes me sad because I think Iowa had a legit shot at the conference. Things were coming together.

Agreed. Was just thinking today: what games would I rewatch from the Heller era if I could? Oregon (2015), Houston (2017), Sunday game vs. OSU (2017), and Michigan (2018). Anything else?

Both Oregon games in 2015. The second one was the best because it was 1-1 and Oregon had the bases juiced in the Bottom 9th with no outs and Hibbing came in and caught out of it.

2017 vs Minnesota in the B1G tournament. The second game after Minnesota beat Iowa in the early AM game.

Heck you could add every game in the 2017 conference tournament. It looked like Iowa was playing with fire and could lose besides the title game.

Any game from the 2015 home series vs. Nebraska, but especially the Saturday extra inning win.

Both Booker and Toole made back to back physical diving catches to keep the go ahead run from coming home. Then Frankos's sinking liner into left squirted out of the Husker players glove to bring home the winner.

Can't mention the 2015 season without Nick Day's shot heard 'round the state in the bottom of the 9th to beat Ohio State.

2016 B1G title game is Omaha was a great sight. We had 10,000 Iowa fans there and only if they could have gotten it done. Calvin Mathews who had been hampered by injury all year was as sharp as he had been that year, but the injury bug bit.

Agreed. Was just thinking today: what games would I rewatch from the Heller era if I could? Oregon (2015), Houston (2017), Sunday game vs. OSU (2017), and Michigan (2018). Anything else?
I had to miss that 2017 OSU finale. I was in Carver for my daughters graduation from the Engineering school. My wife hit me a few times as I was checking updates on my phone. By the time we left Carver it was already 9-2 but with Hellers teams you’re never out of it. By the time we left 30 Rock it was a Hawkeye 11-10 win. One of my favorite games I never saw!

Reactions: 2bagger22
I had to miss that 2017 OSU finale. I was in Carver for my daughters graduation from the Engineering school. My wife hit me a few times as I was checking updates on my phone. By the time we left Carver it was already 9-2 but with Hellers teams you’re never out of it. By the time we left 30 Rock it was a Hawkeye 11-10 win. One of my favorite games I never saw!

My favorite recent memory is the ‘18 Michigan game. Perfect spring day and a walk off winner...just a crazy finish. Wife and I went to Joe’s to celebrate and my Irish skin was blistered by the time we got in the car to head back to CR. Except we didn’t go home, we decided to celebrate more at Lion’s Bridge in CR and continued to watch Cropley’s walkoff.

I also attended the ‘15 walkoff with my siblings at Target Field. Pregame, we went to The Loop, and Iowa bar in Minneapolis and ran into Rafael Eubanks. We exchanged a few rounds and ended up sitting with him the whole game. It was fun listening to him talk about his favorite games and in realizing he was a baseball novice.

One of my favorite recent series was Ok State in 2018. After losing the Friday game in a one run heartbreaker and coming back to win a Saturday shootout and a Sunday blowout against a perennial top team was awesome. Not very often we get to see highly regarded non conference teams at Banks. I do think that’s changing as the program keeps growing.

It’s fun looking back at some of these games but doesn’t get rid of the disappointment that a very promising season had to be cut short.

Reactions: 2bagger22
One of my favorite recent series was Ok State in 2018. After losing the Friday game in a one run heartbreaker and coming back to win a Saturday shootout and a Sunday blowout against a perennial top team was awesome. Not very often we get to see highly regarded non conference teams at Banks. I do think that’s changing as the program keeps growing.

It’s fun looking back at some of these games but doesn’t get rid of the disappointment that a very promising season had to be cut short.

So fun! I just went to YouTube to find old clips and half were Dahm clips of series. I can ad-lib most of those, and it’s wild to think how far the program has come since 2013. Winning is a hell of a thing!

Reactions: hersh236
Had some high hopes when Dahm got there after his previous success. It just never did materialize.

Had some high hopes when Dahm got there after his previous success. It just never did materialize.

Dahm recruited well enough if you trust the rankings, but very much lacked for developing guys when they got in college. Plus his small ball approach and using seven pitchers in a game sucked. Pitching and defense was a mess under Dahm when you look at things now.

Dahm recruited some very good talent. Getting the most out of that talent (development) was spotty.

What Heller did in his first two years was largely with the previous staff's recruits. The difference in teaching from one staff to another was significant. The difference in philosophy in just about every aspect (hitting, pitching, defense) was another.

Whenever Jake Adams played I loved to watch him.

I recorded Wednesday's replay of the 2017 B1G Championship Game and am watching it now. Jake Adams is the most dominant Hawkeye of my adult life. The list is Shonn Greene, Adams, and Luka Garza.

I remember sneaking to Iowa City Fall 2016 for a fall scrimmage and seeing a slow pitch softball player hit a ball to Carver. A few months later, I saw the same player hit a ball through the seats at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. I didn't forget the Jake Adams name after that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT