ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Perkins

“If he can keep this up, I think he can go down as one of the best Iowa point guards there’s been in recent memory.

Not to take anything away from Tony, but that's really not saying a lot. More of an indictment on Fran's inability to recruit and/or developed quality true PG's during his time at Iowa..

Perkins is a nice player. Not a great player. But each year he's become a better player than the year before. His mid-range game is good, in an era where the mid-range game is not valued, or worse, contrary to analytics. Regardless, I'd like to see him back next year, he'll make Iowa better. If Iowa can figure out how to add one more quality 6-9 to 6-11 guy, who can defend, next year, that's an NCAA tournament team. And Tony will have an important role on that team.

Reactions: CyberJJ
Perkins is the difference next year between a bubble team and a team that can compete for the Big title. I’m hoping Harding is the point guard next year and I think Dix can back up the point. If Bowen & Perkins leaves I’d much rather see us pick up a 6’3 or 6’4” combo guard that can defend.
If you mean Dix is still a starter, I'd be ok. But Dix will not be coming off the bench to back up Harding. More like the other way around.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Perkins is a nice player. Not a great player. But each year he's become a better player than the year before. His mid-range game is good, in an era where the mid-range game is not valued, or worse, contrary to analytics. Regardless, I'd like to see him back next year, he'll make Iowa better. If Iowa can figure out how to add one more quality 6-9 to 6-11 guy, who can defend, next year, that's an NCAA tournament team. And Tony will have an important role on that team.
But we already have Mulvey.... lmao.

• Haha
Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
Perkins is the difference next year between a bubble team and a team that can compete for the Big title. I’m hoping Harding is the point guard next year and I think Dix can back up the point. If Bowen & Perkins leaves I’d much rather see us pick up a 6’3 or 6’4” combo guard that can defend.
That feels a bit optimistic. BrotherHawkeye's post #42 above feels a bit more accurate, but a big if.

Perkins is having a solid season, love to see it.
It seems unlikely that he'll make it into the NBA. So for him having a bonus year is a great opportunity to get paid. I'd certainly like him to stay at Iowa. But, I'm not sure they can come up with the dollars to keep him.
Tony would be a great value add piece for a team that's got the NIL dollars to throw his way.

Great game for Perkins! I am really liking the dribble penetrating and facilitator part of his game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT