ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 MLB Outfielders Since 1950

I did notice that the list did not include Joe DiMagio…that damages its credibility! And if Lute is a Yankee fan, how could he leave the second or 3rd greatest Yankee ever, off this list! As well as the geeatest Yankee (and ball player) ever…/Babe Ruth?

I love these debates and Lute doesn’t give any criteria for what defines ‘best’, which is fine, so it’s subjective.

That said, a top 10 list for me would definitely include Rickey Henderson, who turns 64 years old today. I would put him on the list instead of Gwynn.

I also could see replacing Clemente with Trout.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I love these debates and Lute doesn’t give any criteria for what defines ‘best’, which is fine, so it’s subjective.

That said, a top 10 list for me would definitely include Rickey Henderson, who turns 64 years old today. I would put him on the list instead of Gwynn.

I also could see replacing Clemente with Trout.
Win….did you ever see Clemente play? There was no one better when was playing… his mistake was playing in Pittsburgh. Imagine Roberto playing at the same time as Mays and Aaron and Frank Robinson…pretty formidable AS outfield… the AL has Williams, Mantle and Al Kaline… pretty solid IF too.

Not a huge baseball fan but off the top of my head my list would include:

Andre Dawson
Ken Griffey Jr
Ichiro
Bo Jackson

I’m interested in the reasons behind the people putting Bo Jackson on the list. A career .250 hitter with a best season of .279 in only 75 games. Not that many stolen bases for a fast guy. Mostly a left fielder, so not a premium defensive position. Although he did make some great plays out there and was entertaining to watch batting too. I understand him being a fan favorite, but that doesn’t make him an all time great player.

Reactions: dgordo
Someone worthy of consideration, if he could have avoided the 12 knee surgeries during his career, is Andre Dawson.

Center fielder for many years before moving to right as he aged and with the injuries. RoY award. 8x all star. MVP on a last place team. One of only five players with 400 hrs and 300 sbs. 8x gold glove. 4x silver slugger. Hit 49 home runs in a single season. Averaged fewer than 5 errors per season over 21 years for a guy that was taking chances on making plays that many others wouldn’t. An absolute cannon for a right arm. A true five tool player before the injuries took their toll. If he’d been drafted by any team with a grass field instead of the Expos, who knows what his career would have been. Career batting average is the one area where people could knock him as it fell a decent amount after age 35 (when many others retire) for a guy that played until he was 41.
My all-time favorite baseball player! My buddies sent me a personalized cameo from him for my b-day last year which was pretty awesome /csb

I’m interested in the reasons behind the people putting Bo Jackson on the list. A career .250 hitter with a best season of .279 in only 75 games. Not that many stolen bases for a fast guy. Mostly a left fielder, so not a premium defensive position. Although he did make some great plays out there and was entertaining to watch batting too. I understand him being a fan favorite, but that doesn’t make him an all time great player.

Bo Jackson wasn't even the best outfielder on the team when he played at KC. Willie Wilson had skills in the field and had a higher career BA than Jackson.

Just a reminder, this list was compiled of outfielders who
played since 1950 and must be currently retired or dead.

This eliminates Babe Ruth who died in 1948 and Joe DiMaggio
who retired in 1951. Mike Trout is eliminated because he is
still active and not retired. Hope you enjoy the discussion
on this thread.

Outfielders are defensive position players in baseball.

The three outfielders are positioned so as to best be able to catch or field balls that are batted over or through the infield.

The three outfield positions are left fielder, centre fielder, and right fielder.

Bottom Line: good outfielders are an important part of winning baseball teams.

I always wanted to Lute a Lute thread

I consider myself fortunate to have seen many of these ballplayers in person and it was A great era when these guys were playing.
Pinson was one helluva ballplayer for a few years, too.
Childhood memory....playing ball in the backyard, you had to be your favorite player......My younger brother would scream...."I'm Vada Pinson! I'm Vada Pinson!" You could be Aaron, Mays, Snyder, Mantle, Williams, Kaline, Clementi, Francona, Minoso....and he chose Vada Pinson!

Win….did you ever see Clemente play? There was no one better when was playing… his mistake was playing in Pittsburgh. Imagine Roberto playing at the same time as Mays and Aaron and Frank Robinson…pretty formidable AS outfield… the AL has Williams, Mantle and Al Kaline… pretty solid IF too.
Sadly, I did not. Honestly I was just looking at stats. It’s hard to judge without seeing each play. Perhaps the better way to answer is to just rank the players you’ve seen. Thanks for the info.

Sadly, I did not. Honestly I was just looking at stats. It’s hard to judge without seeing each play. Perhaps the better way to answer is to just rank the players you’ve seen. Thanks for the info.
Clemente was REALLY a great player......years ahead of his peers in so many ways. There is some video of his throwing prowess that would absolutely boggle your mind. He and Dewey Evans were right fielders from hell for many a baserunner trying to score from first or second base. Cannons for arms and really accurate.

Clemente was REALLY a great player......years ahead of his peers in so many ways. There is some video of his throwing prowess that would absolutely boggle your mind. He and Dewey Evans were right fielders from hell for many a baserunner trying to score from first or second base. Cannons for arms and really accurate.
I have heard about his defense, wish I could have seen him play. Everyone’s list is going to look different because it’s subjective.

I did notice that the list did not include Joe DiMagio…that damages its credibility! And if Lute is a Yankee fan, how could he leave the second or 3rd greatest Yankee ever, off this list! As well as the geeatest Yankee (and ball player) ever…/Babe Ruth?
OP specifically stated " after 1950 ". Joe DiMaggio played 99% of his career pre 1950...

Reactions: LuteHawk
Reggie Jackson holds the American League record
for most seasons leading the league in errors
committed by an outfielder.

Reggie Jackson said "The only way I am going to win
a Gold Glove is with a can of gold spray paint."

• Haha
Reactions: Lindemann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT