ADVERTISEMENT

Top Headline in Today's Omaha Newspaper

Good lord really going to I-Club circuit to write a story about Iowa? This would be like Iowa fans taking offense if Pollard took shots at Iowa on the ISU Club circuit. Especially being in Omaha, Dolph is playing to the audience. What a total and complete non-story.

Yes, but Husker football is sacred in Nebraska, and not to be taken in vain!

Good Lord, that's pathetic. If Illinois were in our position, I would fully expect them to say such things at a Quad Cities banquet.
As was pointed out; know your audience.

I like that fact that Kirk himself has made some comments about how much he enjoys beating Nebraska. I think the "we had to evaluate where Iowa is as a program" didnt sit well with him.
I disagree somewhat. From the article -

Ferentz said the two highlights of Iowa’s season last year were the wins over Iowa State and Nebraska. He later mentioned the 55-24 win over a ranked Ohio State at home, but when Ferentz mentioned the Nebraska win again, the crowd of about 200 interrupted him in applause.

IMO - Ohio State should be the highlight, not Iowa State or Nebraska. If the highlight of the staff is to beat these two programs, it makes sense why we only play in championships occasionally.

Ferentz said the two highlights of Iowa’s season last year were the wins over Iowa State and Nebraska. He later mentioned the 55-24 win over a ranked Ohio State at home, but when Ferentz mentioned the Nebraska win again, the crowd of about 200 interrupted him in applause.

IMO - Ohio State should be the highlight, not Iowa State or Nebraska. If the highlight of the staff is to beat these two programs, it makes sense why we only play in championships occasionally.
He only said that because he was in Council Bluffs.

Hell, beating N Texas was more of an accomplishment than beating Nebber. And everybody knows this.

He only said that because he was in Council Bluffs.

Hell, beating N Texas was more of an accomplishment than beating Nebber. And everybody knows this.
Agree - but I I think he would have made a bigger statement by not even mentioning them to demonstrate how irrelevant they are. Ohio State IS relevant and we kicked their ass.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

That is what you took from all of this. Interesting.

Good Lord, that's pathetic. If Illinois were in our position, I would fully expect them to say such things at a Quad Cities banquet.
As was pointed out; know your audience.
Yea, but they'd have to do some serious searching to come up with something to be throwing in Iowa's face. I mean seriously, they'd need to win something first wouldn't they? :rolleyes:

I think you have to take into account who reported on this event and was writing the article...don't doubt for a second that the author spun this to make it sound like we put way more focus on Nebraska than anyone else, whether or not that is actually what was said and how the event transpired. I have a hard time believing KF or anyone on the Iowa football staff found any victory more important/meaningful than our beat down of O$U for a variety of reasons.

Road win at isu with a rookie qb that threw five td’s, win at Nebraska after a short week, coming off dissapointing losses at Wisconsin and Purdue at home.

I can see why KF highlighted these two wins during an up and down year with inconsistent play while breaking in a rookie OC. The tOSU win was great at home but Iowa seems to play to the level of competition minus Nebraska this year.

Besides, KF made no bulletin board material statements. Gary did to get the crowd going and what he said isn’t false: 4 of 5 and three being thorough beatings. Nebraska fans and media are just butthurt Iowa has been putting it to them.

Reactions: VodkaSam
"They" being who? The Omaha World Herald? Or do you think the Nebraska coaches actually care about an Iowa radio guy cracking mildly lame jokes about beating Nebraska?
Story was written and published by Omaha World Herald and placed in their 'BigRedToday' section, which I can only assume is 100% focused on informing and inciting die hard bugeaters.

So, yeah...bulletin board material afaic.

So a couple of OWH Husker football stooges swim across the river, dress in black and gold and creep into an I Club meeting. Of course they were expecting high praise and reverence for their favorite team, the powerful Fighting Frosts. But they were shocked... SHOCKED...that Iowa fans were making light of their Big Red Heros. They didn't realize the scores from the last two games have put foolish thoughts into those Hawkeye fans. Black Friday is a long way away. But not as far away as Reality in Nebraska.

Story was written and published by Omaha World Herald and placed in their 'BigRedToday' section, which I can only assume is 100% focused on informing and inciting die hard bugeaters.

So, yeah...bulletin board material afaic.

So, my question again: who is "they" that you muse are so desperate for bulletin board material? The media? For it to be bulletin board material, the team and coaches have to care about what was said and use it as motivation. This is a writer and the OWH attempting to drive clicks and eyeballs. That's it. This doesn't move the needle. Nearly every comment I've read on Husker boards is that this is not a big deal.

Eichorst said: “In the final analysis, I had to evaluate where Iowa was.”

Billy Devaney talking about the 2016 game
Wisconsin, obviously, was a pretty balanced team, but it was a good matchup. The Iowa game, that was bullsh–. There was no way in the world that should have happened.

By no means were they as good as the score. - Nate Gerry after 2016 game

Serious question..which team has the most upside going forward?
Since NU joined the big the records are about the same, with NU leading 56-35 to Iowa's 54-37. Frost vs Ferentz?

So a couple of OWH Husker football stooges swim across the river, dress in black and gold and creep into an I Club meeting. Of course they were expecting high praise and reverence for their favorite team, the powerful Fighting Frosts. But they were shocked... SHOCKED...that Iowa fans were making light of their Big Red Heros. They didn't realize the scores from the last two games have put foolish thoughts into those Hawkeye fans. Black Friday is a long way away. But not as far away as Reality in Nebraska.
Bill Cower once played a clip of TJ Housmadah (sp?) wiping his cleats on a Terrible Towel the night before a playoff game. Pittsburgh rocked the Bengals the next day. Several players said it gave them a little juice. But Frost and Nebraska are just so good they won't ever need to look for an edge in a game.

Reactions: Omaha_Hawkeye
So, my question again: who is "they" that you muse are so desperate for bulletin board material? The media? For it to be bulletin board material, the team and coaches have to care about what was said and use it as motivation. This is a writer and the OWH attempting to drive clicks and eyeballs. That's it. This doesn't move the needle. Nearly every comment I've read on Husker boards is that this is not a big deal.
Then why was it worthy of a space in the BigRedToday section of the Cornhuskers' mouthpiece newspaper?

The writer knew it would "drive clicks and eyeballs" because it's bulletin board material ...directed at everyone and anything associated to bugeater football.

Then why was it worthy of a space in the BigRedToday section of the Cornhuskers' mouthpiece newspaper?

The writer knew it would "drive clicks and eyeballs" because it's bulletin board material ...directed at everyone and anything associated to bugeater football.
wonder who paid for his ticket, the weird herald or him?

It made the Red newspaper because the OWH has an article on UN Football about 363 days of the year. Some days there isn't much to write about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT