ADVERTISEMENT

Trans community asks Iowa City council for protection from current, future anti-trans laws

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Members of the trans community rallied for action against the state legislature on Tuesday, March 19, asking the Iowa City City Council to consider "enacting sanctuary city laws and policies" during its regular meeting.

A group of about 15 members of the trans community and their allies — with many more in attendance — told the council sanctuary would "provide an enclave for protection."

Iowa City resident, University of Iowa Ph.D. candidate, and trans woman Emma Denney demanded the council draft a declaration of "non-enforcement" for current and future anti-trans laws. Denney asked that the declaration provide more protection for trans youth in the community.

"Our community needs more than simple words of support from this council," Denney said. "We constantly hear messages about how we are such an important part of this diverse community — we heard as much today — but in this climate of hostility and violence we need action."

Denney argued that Iowa City should take action, "however risky it may be," to protect local trans people from "oppression" across the state. Denney said many young trans people reached out to them because they "fear retribution" from the city and local law enforcement.

Maeve Reynen, a transperson, spoke on the danger of complicity.

Reynen referenced an ELLE Magazine article that detailed the life of Nora Anderson, a former Iowa City resident who is trans. ELLE categorized Anderson as one of many "gender refugees" − people who left their community because of local and state gender identity discrimination.

"While anti-trans legislation, rhetoric and terror take over the state, we can be different," Reynen said. "There is a large community of people here who really, really care about making change."

Two members of the Human Rights Commission on Tuesday accepted the city's declaration of March 31 as Trans Day of Visibility.

ricky-gervais-laughing.gif

I'd also like protection from things that haven't happened,.. let me put together a list and I'll get back to you...

Reactions: stanzithemanzi12
You all are really hung up on that.
Sometimes this board really reminds me that most of you like in podunk hickville and probably state in wonder when a brown person travels by.
Dude, if you can't identify a single thing, you don't have shit.

They want a umbrella on what could possibly happen later, at which time they will decide if they want to move forward, that's asinine and they need to be told to sit the **** back down like the children they are.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Dude, if you can't identify a single thing, you don't have shit.

They want a umbrella on what could possibly happen later, at which time they will decide if they want to move forward, that's asinine and they need to be told to sit the **** back down like the children they are.
The extremes left drops the racists discriminating cards because they got jack shit of substance.

Members of the trans community rallied for action against the state legislature on Tuesday, March 19, asking the Iowa City City Council to consider "enacting sanctuary city laws and policies" during its regular meeting.

A group of about 15 members of the trans community and their allies — with many more in attendance — told the council sanctuary would "provide an enclave for protection."

Iowa City resident, University of Iowa Ph.D. candidate, and trans woman Emma Denney demanded the council draft a declaration of "non-enforcement" for current and future anti-trans laws. Denney asked that the declaration provide more protection for trans youth in the community.

"Our community needs more than simple words of support from this council," Denney said. "We constantly hear messages about how we are such an important part of this diverse community — we heard as much today — but in this climate of hostility and violence we need action."

Denney argued that Iowa City should take action, "however risky it may be," to protect local trans people from "oppression" across the state. Denney said many young trans people reached out to them because they "fear retribution" from the city and local law enforcement.

Maeve Reynen, a transperson, spoke on the danger of complicity.

Reynen referenced an ELLE Magazine article that detailed the life of Nora Anderson, a former Iowa City resident who is trans. ELLE categorized Anderson as one of many "gender refugees" − people who left their community because of local and state gender identity discrimination.

"While anti-trans legislation, rhetoric and terror take over the state, we can be different," Reynen said. "There is a large community of people here who really, really care about making change."

Two members of the Human Rights Commission on Tuesday accepted the city's declaration of March 31 as Trans Day of Visibility.

WTF?! 🤡 Is that brass in "her" pocket? Wheeeeeeee....look at me...I'm soooooooooooo special!!!

You all are really hung up on that.
Sometimes this board really reminds me that most of you like in podunk hickville and probably state in wonder when a brown person travels by.
Don't get your compression socks in a bunch, Captain Hasbeen!

Very disappointed the T's are looking out for themselves and not being inclusive. So now the L's, G's, B's, Q's, 2's, +'s, ?'s, $'s, 7's, and #'s aren't entitled to safety laws? Bigots

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT