Jackhawk87

HR All-American
Dec 15, 2007
4 time NCAA finalist
3 time NCAA champion
1998 World Bronze
1999 World Silver
2000 Olympic Bronze

It is hard to find matches of these guys against not outstanding wrestlers to realize just how dominant these guys were. There are a couple after his finals matches.

McIlravy vs.Gerry Abas - 1993 Finals True Freshman season

McIlravy vs. Brian Harper - 1994 Finals

McIlravy vs. Steve Marianetti - 1995 Finals

McIlravy vs. Chris Bono - 1997 Finals

McIlravy dismantles John Lange (PSU, NCAA qualifier, 2-2 at NCAAs)
0:00 - 3:38

McIlravy dismantles Chris Bono, 1995 Iowa vs. ISU meet
47:15 - 56:00 (timing of audio is off)

McIlravy vs. Rob Theiler (native Iowan, ranked #3, 3rd in NCAAs), Iowa vs. Arizona St. 1995 meet
25:30 - 38:10

McIlravy Highlights

Last edited:
Lincoln's international wrestling:
Not as exciting - way too many stoppages and low scoring. Free is so much better now.

McIlravy vs. Townsend Saunders (1996 Olympic Silver), 1997 USA Wrestling championships

McIlravy vs. Daniel Igali (2000 Olympic Gold), 1998 Worlds

McIlravy vs. Igali, 1999 World championship match

2000 Olympics
McIlravy vs. Sanli

McIlravy vs. Igali (Semis)

McIlravy vs. Demchenco, Bronze medal match

Last edited:
Igali was legit. Lincoln was definitely special. Really thought he was going to be a 4Xer. Marianetti had a perfect gameplan and executed to perfection.

The kid that got me into wrestling. I read Gable's A Wrestling Life book. There is a chapter on Lincoln and the decision to pull his red shirt. I think Lincoln's parents were wanting him to redshirt. He lost his debut match in CHA against a NW wrestler. To help him get his confidence back Gable invited fans ( 2000 or so) to CHA to watch some staged matches he set up for the kid to win. lol. I miss the Gable stories.

Reactions: Grip220
When I think of guys suited to the Gable style, Lincoln is first on the list
I love debates like this! I agree that LM could arguably, easily, be first on the list. But the glory of the Hawkeye legacy is that there could be so many others that top such a list. You all know the names, but I would have a hard time NOT putting someone like Barry Davis, Mark Ironside, Tom Brands or Brent Metcalf up there. What a problem, eh? Picking the brightest of the brightest of so many stars.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I love debates like this! I agree that LM could arguably, easily, be first on the list. But the glory of the Hawkeye legacy is that there could be so many others that top such a list. You all know the names, but I would have a hard time NOT putting someone like Barry Davis, Mark Ironside, Tom Brands or Brent Metcalf up there. What a problem, eh? Picking the brightest of the brightest of so many stars.

Davis, McIlravy, Ironside, Metcalf, Brands...I don't know how you would truly separate those guys in terms of "Iowa Style" wrestling. All were top shelf IMO.

In the final match of the 1993 NCAAs, he trailed Fresno State's Gerry Abas by five points with 45 seconds remaining. In a blazing display of determination and prowess, he scored three two-point takedowns—the last with four seconds left—to win 16-15. "I didn't think I would lose," McIlravy says. "But I have to admit, I didn't know how I was going to win."
https://www.si.com/vault/1995/02/20/133341/lincoln-mcilravy

Not exactly shocking, but McIlravy has a huge heart in that true freshman final. Love the quote above about "I didn't know how I was going to win" ... He was not going to lose! Inspiring.

In the final match of the 1993 NCAAs, he trailed Fresno State's Gerry Abas by five points with 45 seconds remaining. In a blazing display of determination and prowess, he scored three two-point takedowns—the last with four seconds left—to win 16-15. "I didn't think I would lose," McIlravy says. "But I have to admit, I didn't know how I was going to win."
As an Iowa fan, this is the single greatest match I ever witnessed live. Partially because of how he did it, and partially because of the ramifications of winning as a true freshman, thus keeping the possibility of being Iowa's first 4 Timer alive. Wasn't to be, but what a career this guy had!

Reactions: depelland
When I think of guys suited to the Gable style, Lincoln is first on the list

He's got my number 1 hawkeye wrestler of all time locked up for three more seasons. He was a combination of Brands/ironside brawling heavy hands and pace, Okie State slick, and east coast tilts/bow and arrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT