ADVERTISEMENT

"Trilly Donovan" throws cold water on the Fran retiring rumors

Attendance seems to be clearly sliding to me, here are attendances up to mid-December for the last 3 season:

This year:

Michigan 10000 for prime Saturday afternoon time slot
cupcakes: 7600, 8800, 9500, 8600

Last year:

Wisconsin 12400 for poor Sunday 5:30pm slot
cupcakes: 9500, 11300, 9400

2021-2022:

Illinois 12000 for Monday night game
cupcakes: 9200, 11100, 9100, 10000, 10000, 11700
How do season ticket sales compare from year to year?

Reactions: Franisdaman
Fran is on a path to get a buyout in 3 years---lack of NIL, lack of excitement in men's program and he has huge difficulty recruiting African-American athletes. Hopefully new AD doesn't extend his contract and make the buyout more costly which would impact ability to hire better coach.

Jack has 2 years of HS ball. Fran can take the buyout in 3 years and he can get a job at a mid major with no pressure and Jack can transfer in. I don't think Fran can live without having his boys playing for him. Jack probably can be a star at Mid-major level with his Dad featuring offense, defense optional.
How can that recruiting problem be? Did they not see the "equality" featured on the back of the jerseys?

Not transfers, recruits.

Okay then…

CJ Fredrick: Indiana, Xavier, Penn St

Isaiah Moss: Auburn, Iowa St

Luka Garza: ND, Georgia, Georgetown, Indiana, DePaul, Alabama, Princeton, Columbia, Louisville and several others.

Tyler Cook: Illinois, Mizzou, Kansas, ISU, Purdue, Marquette, 4 big Florida schools.

Adam Woodbury: UNC, Wisconsin, Minnesota, OSU, Stanford, Cal

Ladji Dembele: Seton Hall, Xavier, Wake, Pitt, DePaul, Rutgers

Wieskamp: ISU, UNI

Peter Jok: ILL, ISU, Creighton, Xavier, Clemson

Jack Nunge: Creighton

Only two guards on that list, heck maybe even only one because CJ played the three when we somehow had Bohannon and Connor starting on the same team. And CJ and Moss both transferred. That’s the problem.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Only two guards on that list, heck maybe even only one because CJ played the three when we somehow had Bohannon and Connor starting on the same team. And CJ and Moss both transferred. That’s the problem.

Actually Connor played the 4 in that lineup and they were 21-6 in 2020-21 using It. They were 1-3 when CJ went out and Keegan started in his place.

BTW, it wasn’t a complete list, do you want more players that signed with Iowa who had better offers? Jok and Wieskamp are both guards as well, so there’s four. Neither transferred out.

Reactions: ichawk24
My biggest beef with Fran is him going "psycho mode" way too often.
That is the biggest problem with Fran. Who wants to hire a guy who loses his mind. Otherwise he is decent. His interviews are the opposite of KF. Once you hear KF speak once,you are not getting anything new.

You gotta remember that the attendance number is tickets distributed (including freebies). For Michigan, exactly 10,000 tickets were distributed.

How many of the 10,000 actually showed up? Ie, how many tickets got scanned at CHA? 8,000? CHA seats 15,056.

Maybe someone who attended the game can make a guess and attempt to answer that question.

I was at the game, and I think the 10K number was close to accurate. I believe that the official box scores that Iowa puts out the attendance is for tickets scanned. At least that's what they have said in the past.
Carver was probably 90% full on the sides and like 50% full behind the baskets. There were basically no students there though.

I was at the game, and I think the 10K number was close to accurate. I believe that the official box scores that Iowa puts out the attendance is for tickets scanned. At least that's what they have said in the past.
Carver was probably 90% full on the sides and like 50% full behind the baskets. There were basically no students there though.
We need to put them somewhere else for them to show up, derp. I went to the Iowa/Kansas State women's game, student section was 80% empty. It's a chicken/egg thing, but the university isn't going to give you better seats if you don't show up to the games. At least the 'blue hairs' fill their seats behind the opposing team bench.

course diss GIF

Reactions: iahawks10
I
Actually Connor played the 4 in that lineup and they were 21-6 in 2020-21 using It. They were 1-3 when CJ went out and Keegan started in his place.

BTW, it wasn’t a complete list, do you want more players that signed with Iowa who had better offers? Jok and Wieskamp are both guards as well, so there’s four. Neither transferred out.
Tell me you didn’t watch Iowa basketball without actually telling me you didn’t watch Iowa basketball.
Connor may have tried to guard the four, which was a terrible idea, but he was most definitely a guard.
Wieskamp was never a guard at iowa. Now you’ll run to the website and say “See he was listed as a guard.” He played the three and sometimes the four.
Again Jok, same thing. He played the three with guys like Moss and Bohannon at the one and two.
Playing guards like Connor and Bohannon together absolutely was a disservice to the team and always limited Iowa’s chances at ever doing anything in March. Witness Oregon’s starting three guards dropping 60 plus and Iowa’s starting three guards dropping ZERO.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Iowa has produced tremendous talent at the 3 through 5 with Fran. Cook, Luka, White, Jok, Wieskamp, Kris, Keegan, Uthoff, Marble, Woodbury. I’m missing some. But the guard play continually has been absent, especially the last decade.

You absolute clown.

Hey, let's get Jimbob Brohanon on the horn.

"Jimbob, thanks for accelerating NIL. How's your jaw, dipshit? And what of those parking tickets?"
I agree. Baby Bohannon started all this shit about NIL, how he was so marginalized even though he grew up in a million dollar house... thanks dude you made college sports free agency.

What argument was I even making? I pointed out there weren’t very many guards on the list.
My bad, I wasn't paying attention to poster's names on the thread and was thinking that these three comments were all the same person.

Is there any player we've had under Fran that another "better" program wanted?

Not transfers, recruits.

Okay then…

CJ Fredrick: Indiana, Xavier, Penn St

Isaiah Moss: Auburn, Iowa St

Luka Garza: ND, Georgia, Georgetown, Indiana, DePaul, Alabama, Princeton, Columbia, Louisville and several others.

Tyler Cook: Illinois, Mizzou, Kansas, ISU, Purdue, Marquette, 4 big Florida schools.

Adam Woodbury: UNC, Wisconsin, Minnesota, OSU, Stanford, Cal

Ladji Dembele: Seton Hall, Xavier, Wake, Pitt, DePaul, Rutgers

Wieskamp: ISU, UNI

Peter Jok: ILL, ISU, Creighton, Xavier, Clemson

Jack Nunge: Creighton

I'll give you Indiana, ND, Louisville, Illinois, KU, Marquette, Purdue and UNC. The rest are equal or lesser.

So Fredrick, Garza and Cook. Jok and Woodbury were in-state recruits.

I'll give you Indiana, ND, Louisville, Illinois, KU, Marquette, Purdue and UNC. The rest are equal or lesser.

So Fredrick, Garza and Cook. Jok and Woodbury were in-state recruits.
goal post moving? Iowa has produced in state talent that make nba teams, and it’s no lock that the players will stay in state. Not sure why you would make it a disqualifier.

I think the biggest argument comes to record in the ncaa tournament.

Iowa is not a bottom barrel choice for coaching in the big ten, that is a silly take. Sure following lickliter it was and Fran cleaned that issue up. Fans will show up when there is hope of post season success, just as they do for women’s. If Fran can’t make progress in post season after all this time, he has to be honest that this program deserves a sweet 16 once every decade at the minimum. We are at 25 years… if he can’t right that deficiency he needs to hand over the keys to give someone else a shot.

I agree. Baby Bohannon started all this shit about NIL, how he was so marginalized even though he grew up in a million dollar house... thanks dude you made college sports free agency.
I’ve often wondered that if Bohannon’s father or any of his brothers had ever paid a dime on a student loan that Jordan might have had a different perspective on the benefits given to student-athletes.

goal post moving? Iowa has produced in state talent that make nba teams, and it’s no lock that the players will stay in state. Not sure why you would make it a disqualifier.

I think the biggest argument comes to record in the ncaa tournament.

Iowa is not a bottom barrel choice for coaching in the big ten, that is a silly take. Sure following lickliter it was and Fran cleaned that issue up. Fans will show up when there is hope of post season success, just as they do for women’s. If Fran can’t make progress in post season after all this time, he has to be honest that this program deserves a sweet 16 once every decade at the minimum. We are at 25 years… if he can’t right that deficiency he needs to hand over the keys to give someone else a shot.

So we have five recruiting wins over better programs in the past 14 years (out of 64 players). This (and shitty in-game coaching) are the reasons for lack of postseason success.

I would hope we would be able to keep most of the highly ranked in-state recruits, which we haven't, so not out of line to discount two of them.

JayBo said on the latest 'Making Memz' podcast ( Everything Iowa network ) that he thinks it's Fran's last year at Iowa. at about the 42 or 43 minute mark.

I

Tell me you didn’t watch Iowa basketball without actually telling me you didn’t watch Iowa basketball.
Connor may have tried to guard the four, which was a terrible idea, but he was most definitely a guard.
Wieskamp was never a guard at iowa. Now you’ll run to the website and say “See he was listed as a guard.” He played the three and sometimes the four.
Again Jok, same thing. He played the three with guys like Moss and Bohannon at the one and two.
Playing guards like Connor and Bohannon together absolutely was a disservice to the team and always limited Iowa’s chances at ever doing anything in March. Witness Oregon’s starting three guards dropping 60 plus and Iowa’s starting three guards dropping ZERO.

For the second time this week, Wieskamp was a 2X Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year finalist. Jok was a finalist once. Both of them are guards.

I don’t need to run anywhere to know that Wieskamp is listed as a guard. Jok is listed as a guard/forward.

For the second time this week, Wieskamp was a 2X Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year finalist. Jok was a finalist once. Both of them are guards.

I don’t need to run anywhere to know that Wieskamp is listed as a guard. Jok is listed as a guard/forward.
You can quote whatever you want. Those two were never two guards at iowa. If you watched any games, you would know that. Wieskamp was literally a three or four. And Jok was a three.

Last edited:
You can quote whatever you want. Those two were never two guards at iowa. If you watched any games, you would know that. Wieskamp was literally a three or four. And Jok was a three.
It's tough to define the difference between a 2 and a 3 sometimes because roles aren't necessarily the same even when the position is.

I think you could call either of them a 2 or 3 but you are correct they played at the 3 position.

They both mostly worked off the ball but Jok did become the primary ballhandler his last year.

It's tough to define the difference between a 2 and a 3 sometimes because roles aren't necessarily the same even when the position is.

I think you could call either of them a 2 or 3 but you are correct they played at the 3 position.

They both mostly worked off the ball but Jok did become the primary ballhandler his last year.
I just kind of look at the lineups we had. So when we were starting Clemmons and Gesell with Jok, those former two guys weren’t defending or playing the three spot. Or later on when Jok was playing with Bohannon and Moss, those two guys weren’t playing or defending small forwards.
And with Wieskamp he was forced to defend and guard the three and four spot. When you are playing with guys like Bohannon, Joe T, Connor, CJ Frederick you aren’t defending or playing as a shooting guard. And Jok did start playing on the ball a lot more later in his career.

Some fans want Fran to retire just as many want Kirk to retire. I don't see either retiring. Maybe Beth will fire Fran.
Put Fran on the reverse Brian F plan; 2024 season must keep opponents below a certain scoring average and/or shooting % or you’re done.

John Fanta is a college basketball reporter and a FOX TV broadcaster.

check this out & watch:

The problem with the Murray argument is they both are legacy recruits and possibly where a packaged deal so it's easy to not give Fran credit for that. Garza yeah that's all Fran. But the flip side of his argument is you had 3 NBA players that all played together. 4 if you want to add Wiescamp and what tournament success did you have? Doesn't that show you Fran's ceiling?

Reactions: Fan In Black
The problem with the Murray argument is they both are legacy recruits and possibly where a packaged deal so it's easy to not give Fran credit for that. Garza yeah that's all Fran. But the flip side of his argument is you had 3 NBA players that all played together. 4 if you want to add Wiescamp and what tournament success did you have? Doesn't that show you Fran's ceiling?

Yeah, 2020-2021 was probably Fran's ceiling; not sure if we will reach that level again.

In the 2021 second round NCAA Tournament game vs #7 Oregon, we were the #2 seed and we scored 80. That should have been enough points to win and reach the Sweet 16. The problem was we gave up 95.

That for sure was Fran's best team with Luka, Weezy, CJ Fredrick and JBo as starters and Keegan coming off the bench. As we know, the problem in that game, like most, was the defense was terrible.

The box score from that game:

I mean this with all due respect, where would he go? Anywhere he would go to he'd take a massive pay cut.
Exactly why I'm doubting he leaves. He tried to get the ND job last year and wasn't successful--I don't think there's a P6 job that hires him with his current age and without any March success. So what job actually interests him enough to get him to leave Iowa for a (likely significant) paycut? Temple was open last year and it sounded like he could have gotten that job if he wanted it and decided to stay. Is something like a La Salle interesting enough? The other piece regarding taking something like an A10 job that I think Fran would ultimately hate in this current era is he is a program builder who likes to build through high school recruiting and development--losing players to high major teams that he develops is something that I think would drive him nuts and I'm not sure he really wants to spend his final years of his career dealing with all of that.

JBo actually mentioned on his podcast a couple of times when it felt like Fran was for sure gone and then he ended up staying too--the main time being when the Pitt job opened up. Maybe the stuff with Jack makes him more likely to take a different job this time around, but I also know that coaches are some of the more stubborn people in the world and if Fran thinks he can get over the S16 hump with Freeman & Brock and some of the other pieces they have I think he ultimately digs his heels in and tries to make this work. This is all just my opinion on the topic of course, but if he doesn't retire I really do not think that he leaves.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
Apathy is setting in. Not much doubt about that. Maybe the team will improve as the Big 10 season continues

Paid Attendance last season up to this point 11,190, exclude Iowa State game it was 10,712

Paid Attendance this season 8,834 A drop of 2,000 fans/game so far

Averaged 12,370/game last year, should go up with a few Big 10 games on weekends

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT