ADVERTISEMENT

Truck driver sentenced to 110 years in Colorado wreck that killed 4

I think the part about the truck driving 85 in 45 is what hurt him. Still seems a bit excessive if he wasn't impaired. Were they able to confirm if his brakes were indeed faulty? Curious about cameras. I also expect this to be reduced at some point.

That being said, I would have no problem with Henry Ruggs being sentenced to 110 years.

That does seem excessive.

We don't usually give people life sentences for killing via negligence. This while technically not a life sentence is effectively that.

And we let rapists walk without jail time. What a crazy system we have.

The question I keep asking is why the law allows a punishment that does not involve imprisonment for a rape conviction.

While there is a problem with the judge, complaining the judge doesn't do much. Maybe they get replaced but there is always going to be judges who do this sort of thing. The long term fix is tightening up the minimums so that a rape conviction at minimum means 5 years in prison. People need to get on their state legilslatures.

His case was subject to a fairly new Colorado sentencing law that requires consecutive sentencing with no allowance for concurrency for certain crimes.

I think his extreme speeding likely contributed to all of those convictions as well. Doing 85 mph in a 45 mph zone is just asking for a hard slap from the legal system.

Reactions: ghost80
I think the part about the truck driving 85 in 45 is what hurt him. Still seems a bit excessive if he wasn't impaired. Were they able to confirm if his brakes were indeed faulty? Curious about cameras. I also expect this to be reduced at some point.

That being said, I would have no problem with Henry Ruggs being sentenced to 110 years.
I haven’t read up on the details, but the vehicle would have been impounded for an inspection due to fatalities. If there was an issue it would have been found.
There have been some major protests by truckers over this case. Long line ups at various entry points to Colorado by truckers blocking the interstate.

Those bleeding heart Libs are getting involved. 5 million people signed an on line petition urging clemency. Kim Kardashian is on this case, too. I keep seeing he says his brakes “failed”, but I’m not really finding supporting testimony. His brakes probably failed because he was doing 85, and wasn’t paying attention to the road ahead of him. Stopping a loaded semi takes time and distance in normal circumstances.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/27/us/colorado-i-70-crash-driver-sentence-trnd/index.html

Those bleeding heart Libs are getting involved. 5 million people signed an on line petition urging clemency. Kim Kardashian is on this case, too. I keep seeing he says his brakes “failed”, but I’m not really finding supporting testimony. His brakes probably failed because he was doing 85, and wasn’t paying attention to the road ahead of him. Stopping a loaded semi takes time and distance in normal circumstances.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/27/us/colorado-i-70-crash-driver-sentence-trnd/index.html
I thought I read somewhere he also had an opportunity to use a runaway ramp, yet failed to do so.

There’s a good possibility his brakes did fail, or at least didn’t work properly.

However, he had only been driving for a short time, was coming down I70 without any mountain driving experience or training. Videos showed him going way too fast and missing the runaway ramp.

Whether or not his driver error burned up the brakes, or they malfunctioned, or he was scared his employer would fire him for trashing a truck on the emergency ramp, IMO he could’ve done a couple things after coming out of the foothills.

He drove for about 3 miles on relatively flat ground before plowing into those stopped cars. He could’ve downshifted, coasted, run half on and half off the road to take some speed down. I’m no trucker, but I also understand that most diesel trucks have an engine brake (makes the loud babababbababanba sound).

I think the trucking company should bear some responsibility as well. The kid was clearly not trained or capable for that route.

Just wait until there are younger and younger drivers out on the roads with a CDL in their back pocket.

Reactions: Gimmered
When air brakes (which all semis have) fail, are designed to apply when failure.

Meaning when the system notices an failure, or leak, they are automatically applied.

The brake chambers will be applied, and the brakes will lock up almost instantly.

The driver did nothing to avoid hitting innocent people, he had ample opportunity to drive off the road but didn't. In addition he fled the scene on foot and tried to escape he was subdued by other drivers. Reducing his sentence to 10 years was basically spitting on the bodies and the families of the victims. I wonder had he been a white truck driver from the deep south if the bleeding heart liberals would have caused as much commotion over the initial sentence of 110 years?

85 in a 45? Since 4 people died how about they permanently pull his license and tell him if caught driving he is back in for the full 110.

If Eric Branstad had killed four people he’d be looking at a $30 fine.

However, other motorists told police that the truck seemed to be traveling faster, with one witness estimating as much as 100 mph (160.9 kph).

In addition, two witnesses in another truck said they saw fluid coming from the rear of the trailer on the truck driven by Aguilera-Mederos.

According to the affidavit, Aguilera-Mederos' truck passed a sign advising drivers of a runaway ramp, which enables vehicles that are having braking problems to safely stop, 2,000 feet (609.6 meters) ahead and had a "free and unobstructed path" onto the ramp but instead swerved away from the ramp, which is located off the side of the highway.

A speed limit sign on that stretch of road limited commercial vehicles to 45 mph.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT