ADVERTISEMENT

Trump twitter attacks company for dropping daughter's clothing line

Putting aside the legality of it and any impeachment talk for a moment ....

How is it possible that the man doesn't understand THAT HE CAN'T DO THIS? And, Nordstroms is supposed to keep the line because she is a "great person"?

Has some one told him he is not King?

President Trump lashed out on Wednesday at the Nordstrom department store chain for dropping his daughter Ivanka’s clothing and accessories line, once again raising ethical questions about the relationship between his presidency and his family’s sprawling business interests.

Mr. Trump has already broken with tradition by singling out companies for criticism, like Boeing, Lockheed Martin, automakers and news organizations, sometimes causing gyrations in their stock prices and prompting debates about whether corporations would tailor their conduct to suit a bellicose president. But in those cases, his ire targeted government contracts, departing American jobs or news coverage — not his own family’s personal fortunes.

Six days after Nordstrom announced that, based on sales, it would no longer carry Ms. Trump’s products — a decision that prompted some Trump supporters to call for a boycott of the stores — the president took to Twitter to complain that “Ivanka has been treated so unfairly” by the company. He first posted the message from his personal account, and then re-sent it from his official White House account.

Sean Spicer, Mr. Trump’s press secretary, said the president’s tweet was not about business but about “an attack on his daughter.”

“For people to take out their concern about his actions, or his executive orders, on members of his family, he has every right to stand up for his family,” Mr. Spicer said.

It was not clear if Mr. Spicer was referring to critics of Mr. Trump who have called for a boycott of businesses bearing the family name, or to some political motive by Nordstrom. After the president temporarily barred people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States, Nordstrom sent its employees a statement saying that it valued immigrants and offered support to those affected by the executive order.

On Wednesday, responding to Mr. Spicer’s comments, Nordstrom maintained that it had pulled Ms. Trump’s products based on their declining sales performance. The company said it informed Ms. Trump of its decision in early January.

“Over the past year, and particularly in the last half of 2016, sales of the brand have steadily declined to the point where it didn’t make good business sense for us to continue with the line for now,” the Nordstrom statement said. “We’ve had a great relationship with the Ivanka Trump team.”

As Mr. Trump has noted several times, the president is exempt from conflict of interest provisions in federal law that prohibit other government officials from using their positions to benefit themselves or their family members financially. So even if his post was meant to intimidate Nordstrom or other retailers that still work with Ivanka Trump, it probably does not violate conflict of interest rules, said ethics experts who nonetheless called it inappropriate.

“It is a total misuse of presidential power,” said Lawrence M. Noble, the general counsel of the Campaign Legal Center and formerly the top lawyer at the Federal Election Commission. “He is really bringing to bear the whole weight of the office of president on a business decision. Take another company that is considering whether or not to drop her line — they obviously are going to ask themselves if they want to be attacked by the president.”

Mr. Trump’s blast at Nordstrom came two days after his wife, Melania, filed a lawsuit that described her “multiyear term” as “one of the most photographed women in the world” – an apparent reference to her status as a candidate’s wife and now first lady – as a lucrative business opportunity. And Mr. Spicer, the White House spokesman, has urged people to visit the Trump International Hotel in Washington, which opened late last year.

Robert Weissman, president of Public Citizen, a group that promotes ethics in government, said Mr. Trump’s swipe at Nordstrom was not a major issue in itself. But Mr. Weissman said it reinforces that as president, Mr. Trump continues to have multiple conflicts of interest with his own and his family’s business interests. Mr. Trump refuses to sell his assets or put them into a blind trust, but he has said that he has ceded operation of his businesses to his adult sons, Donald Jr. and Eric.

“He has committed to severing himself from the family business operations,” Mr. Weissman said. “That is obviously not the case.”

Ivanka Trump has no formal role in the administration, but her father has included her in meetings with foreign officials and business leaders, and her husband, Jared Kushner, is an adviser to the president. After years as a business executive, Ms. Trump has suddenly found herself without a clear path to walk as she adjusts to life in Washington.

She has expressed frustration to a number of associates with Nordstrom’s decision, describing it as a political move and maintaining that the sales of her brand had not sagged. While she is no longer involved in the management of her business, she is said to be acutely aware of the controversies surrounding her product line.

The Trump presidency is forcing retailers to rethink their relationships with Trump product lines, weighing how well they sell and what actions will anger or placate the largest number of customers. After Nordstrom said it was dropping Ivanka Trump’s merchandise, Trump supporters on social media began calling for a boycott of the stores.

Last week, T.J. Maxx and Marshalls stores sent a note to employees — a copy of which was obtained by The Times — telling them to throw away signs for Ivanka Trump products.

“Effective immediately, please remove all Ivanka Trump merchandise from features and mix into” the racks where most products hang, the note read. “All Ivanka Trump signs should be discarded.”

The instruction was to eliminate special displays for the merchandise, “not to remove it from the sales floor,” said Doreen Thompson, a spokeswoman for the TJX Companies, the retailers’ parent corporation.

“We offer a rapidly changing selection of merchandise for our customers, and brands are featured based on a number of factors,” she said.

Ms. Thompson did not respond directly to questions about whether instructing stores to discard signs was unusual. But an employee at one of the company’s stores, who was not authorized to speak publicly, said she had not received such a request during her several years working there.

Neiman Marcus recently stopped selling Ms. Trump’s jewelry and accessories through its website, but her clothes are still sold at Macy’s, the nation’s largest department store, as well as its sister company Bloomingdale’s, where her shoes and handbags are available online. In August, Bloomingdale’s committed to selling her clothes in seven of its stores, according to a spokeswoman, Anne Keating.

“I think they all have probably been looking closely at Ivanka’s sales numbers and weighing whether they’re worth all the problems she’s brought them,” said Shannon Coulter, who helped found #GrabYourWallet, an online campaign to boycott Trump products.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/...ackage-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Patiently waiting for goldmom to put you in your place...
I got $5 it's a flaccid response. Second least interesting Nole import to this board.
There is no defending his attack on a company for making a business decision. No defending his use of his office to generate money for his family. No fefense for him f$$$$$$ around on this stuff while he could be busy being president.

3. I intentionally purchased a piece of her clothing this past weekend because it was good quality, it fit well, and it was well priced.
Fantastic! A true believer. You know those China clothes have a fair number of harsh chemicals in them, right?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Interested in a conservative voice here. How can this be defended?
I am a republican but I voted for Hillary. This really bothers me. He seems to do something that really bothers me almost every day. As for today, he should not be using presidential power to interfere with the market place on behalf of his family.

Reactions: Huey Grey
DO you guys think George W Bush is celebrating right now? He isn't even close to being the worst POTUS of all time anymore, Trump has taken up the top 20 spots...easy.
And it's been only 3 flipping weeks.

Reactions: unIowa
There is nothing that prevents a president from speaking about his daughter and in this case, what appears to be political driven action based on nothing she did herself.

There is nothing that prevents a president from speaking about his daughter and in this case, what appears to be political driven action based on nothing she did herself.
You must be old enough to remember Truman speaking out about a critic's panning of his daughter's vocal concert. However, I don't see a connection between that and this. And Margaret was clearly embarrassed by her father's words. We'll see of Ivanka says "Oh, Daddy, shut up." PS. How do you know if this was political driven action.

You must be old enough to remember Truman speaking out about a critic's panning of his daughter's vocal concert. However, I don't see a connection between that and this. And Margaret was clearly embarrassed by her father's words. We'll see of Ivanka says "Oh, Daddy, shut up." PS. How do you know if this was political driven action.

Timing and leftist outrage. It's clear.

I'm confused, aren't his kids adults able to fight their own battles without Daddy stepping in? Or is all boorish behavior justified as long as you're defending your children (no matter how old they are)?
That's another point altogether, I'm responding to those who think this is impeachment worthy. And no, he shouldn't sending stupid tweets about his grown children's business issues.

I volunteer to drop her clothing...

ivanka-trump-net-worth1.jpg

ivanka_trump.jpg

594673.jpg

trumpIVANKA%20(2)1.jpg

Reactions: lucas80 and unIowa
What if it was crap like this that actually straightened Trump out? Lol...this type of stuff might be the only thing that can.

M
1. Trump does not own the company his daughter started. No conflict of interest.
2. Trump has to be pushed to do WHAT right thing?
3. I intentionally purchased a piece of her clothing this past weekend because it was good quality, it fit well, and it was well priced.
Goldmom....Honestly....what at Nordstrom's is "well priced"? Expensive, yes. The "well priced" stuff might be at Nordstrom's "Rack" stores......Nordstrom's is a great place to shop as it amperes and absolutely spoils its customers with ridiculous service....but it is service that is paid for by the customer.

M

Goldmom....Honestly....what at Nordstrom's is "well priced"? Expensive, yes. The "well priced" stuff might be at Nordstrom's "Rack" stores......Nordstrom's is a great place to shop as it amperes and absolutely spoils its customers with ridiculous service....but it is service that is paid for by the customer.
The Rack has some decent deals. I found a pair of John Lobb Oxfords for $799. That was a savings of 55%!

DO you guys think George W Bush is celebrating right now? He isn't even close to being the worst POTUS of all time anymore, Trump has taken up the top 20 spots...easy.
And it's been only 3 flipping weeks.

Not only are past presidents like GWB and Carter moving up the list, all future POTUS club members are also safe.

D. Any history buffs recall the controversy HSTruman got into when he threatened to punch that critic in the nose when he (the critic) panned Harry's daughter's piano playing? This s the Donald being Harry.

D. Any history buffs recall the controversy HSTruman got into when he threatened to punch that critic in the nose when he (the critic) panned Harry's daughter's piano playing? This s the Donald being Harry.
Not piano playing. She was a singer and the critic panned her voice. I said so earlier . I don't think it's Donald being Harry. Yes it similar but you know it won't be the last. And Harry had the actual critic's review--Don is just surmising.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT