How China Won Trump's Trade War And Got Americans To Foot The Bill

The US trade deficit grew
China's export machine rolls on
US companies stay in China
Economic losses on both sides
US consumer foots the bill
The Rust Belt stayed rusty
China changed at its own pace

“Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.”

• Wow
Reactions: h-hawk
This is one of the many areas where Trump really botched things. I applaud him for getting tough with China, however, he did so in the most ham-fisted way. I’ve worked in international l business for the past 18 years and China is completely devoid of business ethics. China is ripping everyone off via forced technology transfer and IP theft; it would have been incredibly effective for Trump to pull together a coalition with other leading economies to pressure China to curb/stop such unfair practices. Instead he wanted to go it alone and play the tough guy with bravado and a disjointed approach.

This is one of the many areas where Trump really botched things. I applaud him for getting tough with China, however, he did so in the most ham-fisted way. I’ve worked in international l business for the past 18 years and China is completely devoid of business ethics. China is ripping everyone off via forced technology transfer and IP theft; it would have been incredibly effective for Trump to pull together a coalition with other leading economies to pressure China to curb/stop such unfair practices. Instead he wanted to go it alone and play the tough guy with bravado and a disjointed approach.

Or engage in a multi-lateral trade agreement with China's main competitors in the region

This is another area where again, it wasn't so much WHAT Trump did, but HOW he did it. He apparently only thought that tariffs were his only tool to use, and pulling out of the Trans-Pacific agreement actually did more harm than good when he wanted to go after China on trade.

I don't know that Trump accomplished a single thing when it came to combatting China's intellectual copyright tactics at all, which was the biggest issue on the board from what I understood.

“Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.”

tumblr_my26q51t2B1sr8a93o1_500.gif

Rosie Perez in White Men Can't Jump?

Reactions: WisestIowan
deab1b95b27061a55c93fc4d26a9e931.jpg

Reactions: strummingram
Anyone that thinks China won the trade war is smoking some crazy shit. They lost and they know they lost. They are still losing.

Companies have realized that doing business with China isn't such a great idea. They are starting to look elsewhere to diversify their source of manufacturing. It won't happen overnight but it is happening.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
This is a good article on why china is effed. They are still an export economy primarily to the more developed world. Their ability to transition is incredibly limited and unlikely due to the very thing that had made them successful so far ...centralized planning

In addition to what this articles states as a primary export economy they will lose market share now as companies in the west look to diversify their supply chain. The trade war combined with the pandemic has pulled back the curtains in the problems with China being as large a supplier in the chain ad they have been

No, man...it can’t be.

Look at trade genius Peter Navarro pilfering this photo of Trump looking stern and tough with Xi. Trump made the best deals...bigly favorable for the U.S.

Trade war was never completed so neither side has lost or won yet,... This is realistically a 6-8 year project so let's see what Biden intends to do...
Exactly. The deficit didn't happen overnight and will/would take years to turn around.

This is one area in which at the very least some awareness and focus was directed by trump. If biden forms a solid bloc that is more effective more power to him. i don’t believe it’s partisan to suggest that we don’t want to see american innovation get ripped off and/or die gradually

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
This is one area in which at the very least some awareness and focus was directed by trump. If biden forms a solid bloc that is more effective more power to him. i don’t believe it’s partisan to suggest that we don’t want to see american innovation get ripped off and/or die gradually

I figured out years ago that we were slowly forfeiting our technological advantages, along with our talent for innovation to China. We were just watching as they moved into one area after another ... and negotiated and negotiated and never gave an inch anywhere in the process.

No one EVER talked about this stuff and there they were. year after year, looting and looting ... and seemingly with some sinister purpose behind it all. (taking over the world, possibly?) It appeared that they were cheating in every area imaginable, and doing so out in the open.

I was delighted when Trump started talking about it and in my view, he has at least broken the trajectory.

Did he do so deftly? or in a ham-fisted manner? Who knows; probably a combination of both since this is an ongoing confrontation and only time will tell. It does appear that he bypassed the step where you set up commissions, committees, councils, and special investigators and moved right to the step where you take action. No wonder it came off as a bit ham-fisted.

This was not even a political issue until he made it one, and for that I give him credit.

Last edited:
Exactly. The deficit didn't happen overnight and will/would take years to turn around.
I agree totally, except with your time frame. I can see Trump having an eight year strategy in his mind for the initial phases, but realistically, this will be a multiple decade thing. The Communist dictatorship mindset will have to be diminished before we can breathe easily.

How China Won Trump's Trade War And Got Americans To Foot The Bill

The US trade deficit grew
China's export machine rolls on
US companies stay in China
Economic losses on both sides
US consumer foots the bill
The Rust Belt stayed rusty
China changed at its own pace

Well, I look at it this way. Americans may have paid increased tariffs, but the government still got the money and Americans were happy to keep buying their China stuff.

OR, China reduced prices by the amount of the tariffs, so they lost money and Americans paid what they normally pay.

Meanwhile, China complained about it the entire time, so yeah, I'm sure they "won".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT