ADVERTISEMENT

Trump will donate his first quarter salary — $78,333 — to the National Park Service, White House say

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Seems like the least he could do with all the money his companies are raking in at taxpayer expense:

President Trump has chosen to donate his salary for the first quarter of the year — a total of $78,333 — to the National Park Service, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a briefing Monday afternoon.

“It is every penny that the president received from the first quarter to the day,” Spicer said. “It's from Jan. 20, noon, forward.”

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, who attended the news conference, said that the money would be put toward the maintenance of historic battlefields. The park service maintains dozens of sites connected to battlefields of the Civil War and other conflicts.

“We're going to dedicate it and put it against the infrastructure of our nation's battlefields,” Zinke said. “We're about $229 million behind in deferred maintenance on our battlefields alone.”

That announcement marked another change in the president's plans for his $400,000 annual salary.

During the presidential campaign, Trump had said he would not accept a salary if he won the White House. But the Constitution requires the president to be paid, so — after his election — Trump's spokespeople said he would give the money away instead.

[Why America’s Founding Fathers wanted the president to take a salary]

But then, on March 13, Spicer said that Trump would not actually donate the money until the end of the year. Spicer also said that Trump had not selected a charity to receive the money, and asked the news media to help the president choose.

On Monday, however, the recipient had been chosen and the donation had been made.

“The president has spoken with counsel and made the decision to make his first quarter salary in total to a government entity,” Spicer said. “He has chosen this quarter to donate it to the National Park Service.”

The actual donation check was shown during the briefing. It listed Trump personally as the payer, with an address at Trump Tower on 5th Avenue in New York.

Spicer said the choice of the park service — and, in particular, the battleground parks — was made by the president himself.

“It's a decision he made. Counsel presented him with several options. He believed .. some great work is being done there, especially work being done to restore our great battlegrounds,” Spicer said.

Earlier this year, Trump proposed a presidential budget that would cut the Interior Department's funding by 12 percent, a cut of $1.5 billion.

[Interior Department budget could be slashed by 12 percent]

Trump also began his presidency in a feud with the National Park Service, which controls the Mall in Washington, D.C. — and which tweeted out photos of Trump's inauguration that made it obvious the crowd was smaller than it had been for President Barack Obama's inauguration in 2009. The morning after his inauguration, Trump called the park service's acting director to demand the service produce more photographs, which might show the crowd was indeed larger than average.

The director did procure more photos, and sent them to the White House. They did not, however, prove that Trump's crowd was as large as the president claimed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...vice-white-house-says/?utm_term=.5448ed2d7d90

Well, we're waiting for a few folks to come eat their crow...
As mentioned, why should people be enthused about Trump donating his salary as a photo op to cover up massive budget cuts to a stressed National Park system? And, we all know the real money is coming in from charging the Kuwaiti's a premium rate at his DC hotel, or doubling the annual membership at his clubs. Where is that money he's making off of being the President?

News just came out that Trump still has access to the money from his businesses. It's great and all that he's doing charity, but to be honest, he doesn't exactly have a good track record with charities and this comes across as Trump trying to change the news than real philanthropy.

As mentioned, why should people be enthused about Trump donating his salary as a photo op to cover up massive budget cuts to a stressed National Park system? And, we all know the real money is coming in from charging the Kuwaiti's a premium rate at his DC hotel, or doubling the annual membership at his clubs. Where is that money he's making off of being the President?

Yep, the increased fees for one new member cover this quarter of donated salary.

Reactions: Huey Grey
Yes, they did indeed. You go find the thread. Huey is all over in it so start with her posts.
I freely admit I said he wouldn't. And I still don't . Right now this is just an empty promise until the financial records confirm Trump actually made good.

So where's the proof? Park service already have the money?

You are a special one. If I were you I'd keep posting about this until you see his tax return with that specific donation. Otherwise it is clear Trump is just lying again.

You are a special one. If I were you I'd keep posting about this until you see his tax return with that specific donation. Otherwise it is clear Trump is just lying again.
He's lied about this exact stuff before. See the VA fundraiser. I certainly have zero trust in him. He did get his own charity shutdown.

Reactions: cigaretteman
He'll just wind up deducting this from his taxes anyway. It's probably why he cooked up this whole thing in the first place. Act like he's doing something when all he is doing is reducing his tax liability.

You have to admit, Trump has essentially zero credibility.

I dont think he's a great president. I also don't think he is as bad as many want to believe. Admittedly I was probably venturing into similar territory at times with Obama.

My honest feeling is nobody, and I mean NOBODY is "winning" politics since Bill Clinton left office. It has been a ton of bickering and party over country.

He'll just wind up deducting this from his taxes anyway. It's probably why he cooked up this whole thing in the first place. Act like he's doing something when all he is doing is reducing his tax liability.

So you're saying he is greedy?

Did you know he ends up with LESS overall money by doing this?

Yep you Libs only know how to take and the word donation does not exist in your mental dictionary.

lol, beat me by one minute! Was just about to post that tweet. Photo says it all.

I'm simply pointing out how many people said he wouldn't donate his salary

Who, other than Huey, said he wouldn't actually donate his salary?

To be clear, you are saying that many people said this. Not just one or two or three. Many.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT