ADVERTISEMENT

Tues Press Conf & Player Interviews. Erick w/ Torn ACL. Black: "Wait & See." Ostrenga Practiced Today. Shannon Still Not Cleared. Deacon Clear QB1

So he hasn't developed at all being coached by this staff. Shocking
Brian coaching the QBs

Screen-Shot-2017-12-02-at-3.51.35-PM-e1512247949212.png

I’m not sure how many defensive starters Kentucky had out for the bowl game, but they were 12th in scoring against and 18th in total yards given up, so they were pretty damn good defensively. Labas was 14/24 for 139 and a TD (QBR 49.4) which is not great, but is far better than Deacon’s first two starts, and I would say better than his partial game vs MSU too.

Labas must practice like shit. Or Deacon is just a god in practice.
Once I would like to see Kirk asked “what is it with Deacon that makes him the clear number 1?” But it will never happen…

So he wasn't referring to Labas. He was referring to Padilla.

IMO, he essentially was making an analogy that if he had to put Labas in, it would look like what we saw when they were forced to put Padilla in last year where we would then understand why Hill is the clear QB1 and Labas is the clear QB2.

Here's the 28 minute replay; let me know what you think.

I think we can safely assume KF was being forthright, but I suppose he could have been more careful. What would have been a better response?

Let's be clear, though, that he wasn't wrong about guys no longer on the roster. Padilla is QB3 at SMU and Hogan isn't listed among the top 3 for Kentucky. They're both lower in the pecking order than they were at Iowa. Apparently, Hogan hasn't developed at UK, either, despite being a 4* recruit and ranked #12 at his position. Both of those guys had offers from Georgia (with Hogan having several other P5 offers), so KF and staff weren't the only ones who read the wrong tea leaves.

I truly believe that one of the aspects of the Iowa team culture that Kirk Ferentz has built is that the issue of who is the starting QB is not one that should be questioned, ever. And Kirk takes every opportunity he can to quickly slam shut any door that cracks open for a backup to challenge for the job. I think back to 2008 when Stanzi and Christensen battled for the starting QB job. I think Kirk absolutely HATED that. And I don't think we've had a true QB battle since. (You could argue Rudock/Beathard, I suppose, but Kirk quickly shut that down by anointing Beathard early in the off-season.)

All that said, I don't think it really matters who our starting QB is. Our offense is going to stink no matter who is under center. I believe the problem is the scheme, not the personnel. (Though the scheme makes it harder and harder to attract quality personnel.)

I think we can safely assume KF was being forthright, but I suppose he could have been more careful. What would have been a better response?

Let's be clear, though, that he wasn't wrong about guys no longer on the roster. Padilla is QB3 at SMU and Hogan isn't listed among the top 3 for Kentucky. They're both lower in the pecking order than they were at Iowa. Apparently, Hogan hasn't developed at UK, either, despite being a 4* recruit and ranked #12 at his position. Both of those guys had offers from Georgia (with Hogan having several other P5 offers), so KF and staff weren't the only ones who read the wrong tea leaves.
Or his development was hampered at Iowa, so he’s farther behind other guys at Kentucky.

Reactions: ICHerky
What gives you the confidence that this will happen this year when it didn't last year?
I'd say my confidence level on Brian departing would be about 75% - 80%. If they win the Big Ten then all bets are off. But we all know that would be a Christmas miracle.

No clue if LeVar would be interested or be offered it, but I think he would be most likely to move into it by Kirk.

I truly believe that one of the aspects of the Iowa team culture that Kirk Ferentz has built is that the issue of who is the starting QB is not one that should be questioned, ever. And Kirk takes every opportunity he can to quickly slam shut any door that cracks open for a backup to challenge for the job. I think back to 2008 when Stanzi and Christensen battled for the starting QB job. I think Kirk absolutely HATED that. And I don't think we've had a true QB battle since. (You could argue Rudock/Beathard, I suppose, but Kirk quickly shut that down by anointing Beathard early in the off-season.)

All that said, I don't think it really matters who our starting QB is. Our offense is going to stink no matter who is under center. I believe the problem is the scheme, not the personnel. (Though the scheme makes it harder and harder to attract quality personnel.)
Whether it's what actually happened, but the rumor at the time was the Beathard family gave KF an ultimatum on CJ starting the next season or they were gone.

Looking at KF's history in determining QB1...the decisions have been abysmal for the times there were QB controversies.
We all remember the threatened fan mutiny if Stanzi didn't replace JakeC.

Fortunately for KF...there has always been "a Parker" to bail his ass out.

Kind of wondered when that might happen.

And we have a bye week coming up....6-foot-5, 250-pound Hayden Large played his first 3 seasons of college football at Dordt (NAIA), playing tight end for the Defenders. He played in 31 games at Dordt and recorded 62 receptions for 950 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Reactions: desihawk
maybe this has been brought up.... who was the back up last year that fumbled every other play? Labas or Padilla?

We saw Labas play, he's better than Hill.
I thought I saw a listing of all of CFB injury list and Labas was still listed as questionable. Someone out here posted the list (I think). No….I have not been day drinking. Soon

I thought I saw a listing of all of CFB injury list and Labas was still listed as questionable. Someone out here posted the list (I think). No….I have not been day drinking. Soon

Joe has been 100% healthy for OVER 7 weeks (since around Aug 26, 2023).

From an Aug 30, 2023 article:

Labas has been rehabbing from his own soft tissue injury that he sustained in mid-July. The Hawkeyes’ starter in Iowa’s 21-0 Music City Bowl win over Kentucky, Labas just returned to practice at the end of last week.

Though Labas has looked good and healthy in his return
, Ferentz said it’s reasonable to assume Hill would be the choice to start if McNamara can’t play.

“I’d say that’s fair right now, but we’ll see how the week plays out. Joe started out probably further than maybe I would have expected, and that’s good news, but I’d attribute that to the work that he got last year, especially in December,” Ferentz said.

"... Joe just returned last week, at the end of last week, so it’s good to get him back out there. He looks good, and he seems like he’s fully healthy now. It would have been nice to have him the whole period, but we didn’t, so he’s playing catch up. But, that month of December advanced him as well, and obviously spring ball."

Joe has been 100% healthy for OVER 7 weeks (since around Aug 26, 2023).

From an Aug 30, 2023 article:

Labas has been rehabbing from his own soft tissue injury that he sustained in mid-July. The Hawkeyes’ starter in Iowa’s 21-0 Music City Bowl win over Kentucky, Labas just returned to practice at the end of last week.

Though Labas has looked good and healthy in his return
, Ferentz said it’s reasonable to assume Hill would be the choice to start if McNamara can’t play.

“I’d say that’s fair right now, but we’ll see how the week plays out. Joe started out probably further than maybe I would have expected, and that’s good news, but I’d attribute that to the work that he got last year, especially in December,” Ferentz said.

"... Joe just returned last week, at the end of last week, so it’s good to get him back out there. He looks good, and he seems like he’s fully healthy now. It would have been nice to have him the whole period, but we didn’t, so he’s playing catch up. But, that month of December advanced him as well, and obviously spring ball."

Thanks Fran

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT