ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Autopsy of a screw job

They go to review for all kinds of calls. The play was reviewable and once a play is being looked at, they can call anything that's allowed to be reviewed including advancing a ball after a signal.

Valid Signal
ARTICLE 2. A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has obviously signaled their intention by extending one hand only clearly above their head and waving that hand from side to side of their body more than once.

Invalid Signal
ARTICLE 3. An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
a. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above);

An invalid signal still has to be a signal.

A valid signal is signaled intention plus above head / waive more than once / side to side.

An invalid signal is signaled intention plus only one or two of the required three.

Iowa lost the game because they don't play offense. You literally have the worst offense in college football.
Iowa scored the most points in a football game.

That is a win.

Having a shitty offense doesn't mean you deserve to have points taken off the board that were earned.

It's a separate article under that section, but it is not a fair catch signal. By your argument, when reviewing for targeting, as an example, they could say we didn't see targeting, but we noticed that clipping occurred on the other side of the field, and call that, since it is under the same rule and section. However, the fact is that they would not be able to call the clipping since it is an entirely different article that is not covered under reviewable infractions. That is the same with reviewing a fair catch. Even though they are covered under the same section, they are completely different articles and article 3 (invalid fair catch) is not listed under those reviewable articles. Simply put, they do not get the ability to review every article under the sections listed, or they would be reviewing and changing calls on nearly every play.
It IS a fair catch signal. There are two types of fair catch signal as indicated where I copied from NCAA rules above. There is a valid fair catch and an invalid fair catch. Both articles fall under Section 8 Fair Catch in the rule book. Advancing the ball after a fair catch signal IS reviewable. It doesn't say only a VALID fair catch signal is reviewable.

The call was correct.

An invalid signal still has to be a signal.

A valid signal is signaled intention plus above head / waive more than once / side to side.

An invalid signal is signaled intention plus only one or two of the required three.
That's not what the rule book says:

Valid Signal

ARTICLE 2.
A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.

Invalid Signal

ARTICLE 3.
An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
  1. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above);

The only argument against the call would be to say he didn't wave his left hand. But he did. It was a ticky-tack call that came at an awful time but that doesn't make it wrong...just infuriating.

It IS a fair catch signal. There are two types of fair catch signal as indicated where I copied from NCAA rules above. There is a valid fair catch and an invalid fair catch. Both articles fall under Section 8 Fair Catch in the rule book. Advancing the ball after a fair catch signal IS reviewable. It doesn't say only a VALID fair catch signal is reviewable.

The call was correct.
And again, both the articles involving targeting and clipping fall under the same section as well (Section 9), but they aren't both reviewable. We aren't going to agree on this.

To quote William Lloyd Garrison (I acknowledge his subject matter was a tad more important than college football) here is how I feel about this egregious, preposterous, outrageous situation:

On this subject, I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. No! no! Tell a man whose house is on fire, to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hand of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; -- but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD.

Iowa F___KING WON!

And again, both the articles involving targeting and clipping fall under the same section as well (Section 9), but they aren't both reviewable. We aren't going to agree on this.
Because they aren't remotely the same thing. Targeting is covered by name as reviewable. The rule book says a fair catch is reviewable. A fair catch is a fair catch. If you can show me in the rule book where it says ONLY a valid fair catch is reviewable, you win the point.

To quote William Lloyd Garrison (I acknowledge his subject matter was a tad more important than college football) here is how I feel about this egregious, preposterous, outrageous situation:

On this subject, I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. No! no! Tell a man whose house is on fire, to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hand of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; -- but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD.

Iowa F___KING WON!
Iowa lost.
They got screwed on a call. Happens every week.
Still lost.
Wouldn't matter if they weren't the statistical worse in the nation on offense.

Great now I agree with this 🤡

If the GOAT agrees then it's a fact. To me it's like calling a balk in baseball after the batter has struck out and they're replaying to see if the catcher hung on to the foul tip and now they call a balk on the pitcher. No strike out...

There should be no such thing as an invalid fair catch. You wave your hand over you head for a fair catch and anything else is in play. Pointed where the ball is, is anything but deceptive. Clearly all 11 stink'in Gophers and their chrome dome coach thought it was a defeat...

Iowa won because they scored the most points in the game.
Sure Jan GIF

Reactions: Gimmered

The call was correct.
There was NO CALL on the field. If the refs on the field had made a call, and it was reviewed, it might be easier for us Iowa fans to live with. The replay booth is to review calls on the field. Again, THERE WAS NO CALL ON THE FIELD. If we want to move to the replay booth making calls on every play, then football might as well be dead.

Just to reiterate for some of you thick-headed morons......there was NO CALL ON THE FIELD. The review booth was checking to see if DeJean stayed in bounds. He did stay in bounds. They should have confirmed that and moved forward. There is absolutely no rule anywhere in any book that states that the review booth can decide a play that the on field referees did not call. If this was the case, there would be a Holding call on every play.

There was NO CALL on the field. If the refs on the field had made a call, and it was reviewed, it might be easier for us Iowa fans to live with. The replay booth is to review calls on the field. Again, THERE WAS NO CALL ON THE FIELD. If we want to move to the replay booth making calls on every play, then football might as well be dead.

Just to reiterate for some of you thick-headed morons......there was NO CALL ON THE FIELD. The review booth was checking to see if DeJean stayed in bounds. He did stay in bounds. They should have confirmed that and moved forward. There is absolutely no rule anywhere in any book that states that the review booth can decide a play that the on field referees did not call. If this was the case, there would be a Holding call on every play.
Even worse, there was a call, that it was a clean play and a touchdown!

Except a majority agree with me and only a handful do not.

But other than that, NAILED IT :rolleyes:
A majority agree that the call was bad.
I do not think a majority believe that Iowa won the game. That's just you boo.

A majority agree that the call was bad.
I do not think a majority believe that Iowa won the game. That's just you boo.
Obviously I am proposing that in a just, sane world Iowa won the game.

That we live in a corrupt bullshit world full of assholes is why Iowa did not "win."

In this particular matter, evil prevailed. But justice will win out in the end!

Reactions: HawkMD
Continue crying about it. it isn’t going to change the result or the record in the win/loss column.

:)

That's not what the rule book says:

Valid Signal

ARTICLE 2.
A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.

Invalid Signal

ARTICLE 3.
An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
  1. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above);

The only argument against the call would be to say he didn't wave his left hand. But he did. It was a ticky-tack call that came at an awful time but that doesn't make it wrong...just infuriating.

Except you have to start with … a signal. 2 defines a signal.

An invalid signal 3A is a subset of a valid signal. Your reading reads the highlighted intent out of the rule.

The invalid signal subset 3A doesn’t say any waiving *motion* - it says any waiving *signal.* So you have to go to the Rule’s definition of a signal - which is in 2 - and that requires intent.

If a returner makes the baseball safe signal and then fields it, it’s okay. See the NC game and dozens of other examples.

Why? Because it’s not a signal - valid or invalid - of a player who obviously signaled an intention to make a fair catch.

Your reading says Iowa and NC (and dozens of other examples) are all invalid signals. The fact those aren’t called - other than Iowa - is telling.

Because they aren't remotely the same thing. Targeting is covered by name as reviewable. The rule book says a fair catch is reviewable. A fair catch is a fair catch. If you can show me in the rule book where it says ONLY a valid fair catch is reviewable, you win the point.
Disagree

Once again, this is what happens when fans “embrace the suck”. Throw out records to deflect criticism when they win, but you also get losses like this (as well as illinois, iowa state amd nebraska last season).

An offense in the top 75% avoids those losses last season along with this loss, despite the refs blown call.

enjoy those grind them out wins that should be more comfortable, and deal with the losses that come with embracing suck

Reactions: stickman80
I agree the reversal was horrible and punt returners do this all the time. That said, I don’t think they are saying he made a traditional fair catch signal. To me they are saying waiving people away from a ball (basically calling “Peter” for those that know the reference), makes it a dead ball.
They’re saying he made an “invalid fair catch” signal. The purpose of the rule is to prevent punt returners from giving a fake signal and then sprinting down the field after the coverage team relaxes. In order for that to be true he would have needed to do something that at least approximates something that could be reasonably interpreted (or misinterpreted) as a fair catch signal.

Cooper did nothing of the sort. If he had waved his hand at shoulder level instead of above his head then I would grudgingly agree with the ruling. He was simply communicating to his teammates. Nothing more, nothing less.

Minnesota’s players and coaches understood that. If the Minnesota players on the field thought they were deceived in any way, they would have been pleading their case to the officials while Iowa’s players were still celebrating in the end zone. They did not.

If PJ Fleck thought that his players were deceived in any way, he would have been 10 yards out onto the field, screaming at the officials for an explanation and a review. He did not. Fleck simply stood on the sideline with his arms crossed, in total disbelief that he had lost to Iowa yet again.

Nope.

DeJean did not do an invalid signal - he pointed to where the ball was going to land and directed his return team on where to block.

He then picked up the ball and scored a touchdown.

Only a deaf, dumb and blind person can see it any differently.
Nope.

DeJean did not do an invalid signal - he pointed to where the ball was going to land and directed his return team on where to block.

He then picked up the ball and scored a touchdown.

Only a deaf, dumb and blind person can see it any differently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT