ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: Bowl Debacle Boogaloo

92-0 in games against ranked teams seems to indicate they are not close to anything.

To think the OC really matters with Kirk as HC is also laughable based on history.

Iowa has the following and the money to rise up but it won’t be with Kirk at the controls. He is old and tired and the new way college football is played has passed him by.

Reactions: pink shizzle
When discussing Iowa’s offense, I always go back to Kansas. The roster that Lance Leipold inherited was littered with guys that Iowa would offer as a last resort. They had a top 20 offense by his 15th game.

New Mexico had one of the few offenses worse than Iowa’s in 2022. New OC, they go from bottom 5 to 44th in total offense.

There are coaches out there who can get a competent offense out of this roster.
I'm a South Dakota fan. New OC comes in this year and the offense does a complete 180. Coyotes end up a 3 seed in the FCS playoffs. It was like night and day watching the offense from last year to this year with the same personnel.

One thing I noticed about a BF offense is that the O would often move down the field the first quarter when they were on script. They did in the Citrus Bowl, with Hill throwing that early pick in the EZ. After that, once the D adjusted BF was incapable of countering with adjustments. Second half adjustments? Forget about it.

BF was just a terrible OC. I actually feel confident that KF will give full reigns to the new OC so long as he keeps it within a certain framework, i.e. we're not going to all the sudden go spread or air raid. I say that because any OC taking this job has to demand it. If you don't you are committing career suicide coming to Iowa and being KF's puppet. That's why I think it will be a prerequisite of any candidate taking the job.

Last edited:
92-0 in games against ranked teams seems to indicate they are not close to anything.

To think the OC really matters with Kirk as HC is also laughable based on history.

Iowa has the following and the money to rise up but it won’t be with Kirk at the controls. He is old and tired and the new way college football is played has passed him by.
The OC matters. A lot. This narrative that KF has an iron fist and complete control of the offense is bullshit. KOK had freedom to adjust, and did, based on personnel and injuries. And GDGD’s offense was different than KOK’s. Brian’s offense was different from Greg’s.

Think back to the loss against Northwestern to open 2021; we had a 17-point lead, and lost it on a windy day with Petras throwing it 50 times. Does that sound like a gameplan approved by “boring, conservative” Kirk? The Minnesota game this year where our FOUR third quarter possessions averaged about 1:00 in TOP in a game where having the wind at our back was hugely important. Doesn’t sound like “clock control Kirk” had much authority over those decisions.

For being such a risk averse/scared coach who only wants to run the ball and control clock, he sure has sucked, A LOT, at demanding that from his OC’s.

Brian was an unmitigated disaster. It’s as simple as that. And Kirk has had a few other very questionable hires his offensive staff as well. Once the talent BF inherited left (God Bless Nate Stanley), things became worse than they’d ever been. Take out 2007 and 2012…KOK and GD were levels above what BF has been the last three years. It hasn’t always been like this, not even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT