ADVERTISEMENT

Tug Fest over Mississippi River is a go again

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
An annual tug-of-war tradition across the Mississippi River will happen this year after all, according to both Iowa and Illinois teams.

Back in February, both Illinois and Iowa teams said that negotiations stalled to continue the tradition due to decreased attendance and the belief that the Illinois side had an unfair advantage due to the mighty Mississippi's currents.

But on Monday, March 20, Team Iowa announced that the teams made an agreement with a "slight twist."

"With the generous help of Legacy Corporation, a barge will be anchored in the river to aid in evening out the current tension on the rope," Tug Fest Iowa said in a Facebook post. "We have much discussion ahead of us to work out all of the rule changes that this will lead to but we are pleased that we are finally moving forward."

Team Illinois also posted the news on its Facebook page, noting that its team will still be in the Illinois Tug Pit. The team also said the barge in the river will answer the question of whether or not the current plays a part in who wins the fierce competition.

The Illinois side also announced that Tug Fest 2023 will take place from Aug. 10-12.

As teams prepare for the competition, the Iowa side will host its annual bags tournament fundraiser on Saturday, March 25, at the LeClaire Rec Center. Sign-up starts at 11 a.m. and bags start flying at noon. Folks who want to participate should bring a buddy for their team and $20 for each person playing.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
We call it "Drunk Fest" on the Iowa side --- as the hillbillies in LeClaire really go to town on the Busch Light that entire weekend.

5206f41707755.image.jpg

62f81633bd34d.image.jpg

Also, Tugfest was the inspiration for one of the oddest feature stories I ever wrote. For some reason now long forgotten to me, I decided to try to do a feature story on an inanimate object. The object in question? The actual rope used for Tugfest. Hysterically, I think I actually won an INA award in feature writing for this one:

Frayed-not.jpg

Frayed-not-2.jpg

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT