ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Tyler Linderbaum commits to Iowa***

That theory back fired with Oliver Martin last year. Iowa needs to find the guys before the blow up and the big names come in trying to poach them. Or when trying to get the big name and you miss out some solid guys like Linderbaum sometimes are gone and have to drop down for someone less who just gives some posters even more ammo to complain about Iowa recruiting. I'm sure Iowa goes after lot of 4* players but with recruiting if that player isn't showing a lot of interest no point of wasting more time on him.

I understand your point, but I disagree.

How many times does the situation work out like Oliver Martin, compared to how many times an early offer to a less sought after prospect actually pans out? You can't start offering every prospect, especially one that is questionable at best (meaning MN State & ISU are his only tenders - this isn't me calling it questionable, this is based upon the fact that Linderbaum hasn't SO FAR been deemed worthy of an offer by anyone but a couple of below average programs), just because the Clones offered already. Especially considering ISU offers a ton of kids very early. We can't be scared to lose him, or compete with another program for him, so we'll just take a flyer on him instead of possibly missing out and then hope to God he pans out. Never mind that it's extremely early in the recruitment process and we are in on some other guys higher on our board.

Build that relationship, keep him warm...and let's see how our recruiting goes with some others higher on our board before offering/accepting his commitment.

You say "playing ball in Iowa" yet many good-great players have done so and when those players don't go to Iowa you and yours are the first to piss and moan about them not being Hawk. Then when someone has an opinion that "maybe" a duo could form you have a shit fit and go on a rant.

Enjoy.

So because some local "good-great" players have panned out for us in the past, that's the rule? What a simpleton you are. Keep establishing the relationship with Linderbaum, recruit him till the end...and if/when we decide to offer, based upon how we did with prospects higher on our board, we know we didn't just tender an offer because lowly f*ckin Iowa State did.

And don't even get me started about the ridiculous talk of "unstoppable duos" of anyone with a pulse being formed because they are lining up next to AJ. That's just fans filling in the blank. My goodness, let's wait for another Power 5 team to offer besides anointing him an unstoppable duo.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong as it relates to your comment that I highlighted. Recruits can most definitely increase their exposure. If they're willing to drop down some cash - they can attend all sorts of 3rd party camps.

The main knock on players from schools that are perceived as lower division or from a poor conference - their success is often attributed to the quality of competition being low. When a recruit attends a camp where there are more highly rated guys .... the word goes out on the recruit that they are the real deal.

So to reiterate - a kid CAN raise their profile ... but it isn't always easy. For kids from poor families, the cost can be prohibitive. For other kids, once they get a few key offers - they may not care to garner more offers. This latter scenario was certainly true for guys like Matt Kroul and Mitch King. Once those guys got their Iowa offer - they had their decision made. They didn't need to or want to further raise their recruiting profile.

I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, but everything you said certainly works both ways. Just because the kid finds the resources to attend a camp, it's hardly a guarantee they will increase their ranking. Hardly at all. In fact you could make a case that just as many show up and end up lowering their own rankings because of how they stacked up against the competition. To make it sound like it's a clear cut 'go to camp, increase your ranking' type scenario is foolish. Many kids who were high 3s/low 4s based on measureables have arrived at camps and didn't perform well, thus reinforcing the notion that their level of play is somewhat based upon their level of competition.

It absolutely goes both ways.

So you want the Hawks to go down the road that other schools do ... and hand out non-committable offers? That may be putting words in your mouth - so I don't want to suggest that you've explicitly indicated that. However, what you're saying suggests it. Alternatively, you're suggesting that we don't offer Linderbaum at all ... and wait until we're "more desperate" ... and then offer him only if we need to? Never mind he already had an early ISU offer ... and the longer we wait to offer him the longer the pool is getting poisoned.

No. That's not what I'm suggesting at all. I'm saying we should continue to recruit him hard, establish relationships, keep him warm...while still continuing to pursue higher prospects on our board (yes, we have some of those - and yes, I realize we would still take a commitment from a Trout or a Thompson if they wanted aboard, but we don't have unlimited spots to fill either) and not offer JUST BECAUSE ISU FORCED OUR HAND! That is NOT a recipe for success, especially considering the Clones offer an absurd number of kids.

Like I've stated over and over ITT, Tyler may turn out to be a great player for us. This is nothing personal against him at all. This is solely based upon the notion that I think it's a bit early be offering every kid we are scared to lose out on just because little sister offered. The same argument that can be made for "well KF evaluated and decided to offer so that's good enough for me", there is the other side of the coin that shows all the other Power 5/FBS/FCS schools that haven't offered yet. Besides Minnesota State, of course.

It may be a good pickup, time will tell. I just would like to have seen us continue to pursue some guys that were higher up on our board first. There isn't unlimited capacity in this class.

:confused:

"good god, how would you stop em"

typical response around here

Look I'm glad we aren't letting instate talent escape our borders, but let's not act like every kid who commits to us will be the next Warren Sapp. At the very least, it isn't fair to them. Linderbaum has basically a nonexistent offer list, WTF leads you to believe he's going to be unstoppable?

I think he could be a contributor after a few years in the program, but I also feel like this kid would have been there for the taking quite a ways down the road of this recruiting cycle.. and watching some of you proclaim this to be some huge pickup is quite the indicator of how used to mediocre recruiting standards we've become. I would love to see us at least attempt to go after some prospects that are a bit higher up the board

While our rivals are landing Top250 talent that's been nationally recruited, we are anointing a 6-2/250 DT with minimal offers as the next "unstoppable force". He could very well pan out to be a solid guy for us, but more than likely a roster full of players of this caliber isn't going to get us to the top of the Big Ten. I would have liked to see KF at least test the waters a bit on some higher regarded prospects before accepting Linderbaum's commitment. It's only May, lots of time till NSD.
And you know they haven't tested the waters for interest for some of these players how exactly. It seems like we have very little success recruiting DL from around the country, and just get the cold shoulder at the end. In the meantime Iowa's recruited a lot of solid all BIG type players from surrounding mid western states. Iowa, Illinois Minnesota, Wisconsin in particular.

I understand your point, but I disagree.

How many times does the situation work out like Oliver Martin, compared to how many times an early offer to a less sought after prospect actually pans out? You can't start offering every prospect, especially one that is questionable at best (meaning MN State & ISU are his only tenders - this isn't me calling it questionable, this is based upon the fact that Linderbaum hasn't SO FAR been deemed worthy of an offer by anyone but a couple of below average programs), just because the Clones offered already. Especially considering ISU offers a ton of kids very early. We can't be scared to lose him, or compete with another program for him, so we'll just take a flyer on him instead of possibly missing out and then hope to God he pans out. Never mind that it's extremely early in the recruitment process and we are in on some other guys higher on our board.

Build that relationship, keep him warm...and let's see how our recruiting goes with some others higher on our board before offering/accepting his commitment.

So because some local "good-great" players have panned out for us in the past, that's the rule? What a simpleton you are. Keep establishing the relationship with Linderbaum, recruit him till the end...and if/when we decide to offer, based upon how we did with prospects higher on our board, we know we didn't just tender an offer because lowly f*ckin Iowa State did.

And don't even get me started about the ridiculous talk of "unstoppable duos" of anyone with a pulse being formed because they are lining up next to AJ. That's just fans filling in the blank. My goodness, let's wait for another Power 5 team to offer besides anointing him an unstoppable duo.

You are "that base"... If we dont' get the in-state player you will bitch, if we do get him you will bitch.

Have a great year.

255lbs...lol js

Hey genius did every Nebraska DT come in and play around the same weight they were in HS? Not uncommon for kids at Iowa or other schools, minus the few top tier DT recruits, to redshirt and pack on the pounds early on. But thanks for proving your ignorance and your obsession with Iowa football to the point you are reading up on one of recruits on a Iowa message board in early May.

Reactions: volknut
You are "that base"... If we dont' get the in-state player you will bitch, if we do get him you will bitch.

Have a great year.

Lol

What a weak reply. Is your straw man the best you can do? I've made it very clear how I'd handle the situation, you don't need to put words in my mouth. If we lose him, we lose him. That's part of recruiting. But at least we didn't offer just to beat out ISU. Fans like yourself are part of the problem, and part of the reason Barta gets away with signing KF to a lifetime contract. Absolutely fine with mediocre results. I'm sure you'll be thrilled to fill this class with a bunch more reaches, beating out the Minnesota State's of the world, so Kirk can give you another 7 or 8 win season.

And you know they haven't tested the waters for interest for some of these players how exactly. It seems like we have very little success recruiting DL from around the country, and just get the cold shoulder at the end. In the meantime Iowa's recruited a lot of solid all BIG type players from surrounding mid western states. Iowa, Illinois Minnesota, Wisconsin in particular.

Well since it's May, I'd hope we haven't thrown in the towel yet on those "other" recruits....the ones a little higher on our board than Linderbaum. God forbid we have to out work another school for their commitment, or continue to build relationships right up until NSD. Knowing how this staff recruits though, it wouldn't surprise me....probably too much work when we can poach em from ISU & MN State.

Great get. Minnesota State actually thought they had a chance? Not against the B1G!

Love it husker fans talking trash and bragging only about recruiting anymore cause can't do anything on the field to brag about. must be pretty sad in husker land when these lightly recruited Iowa boy whip Nebraska back to back years.

Lol

What a weak reply. Is your straw man the best you can do? I've made it very clear how I'd handle the situation, you don't need to put words in my mouth. If we lose him, we lose him. That's part of recruiting. But at least we didn't offer just to beat out ISU. Fans like yourself are part of the problem, and part of the reason Barta gets away with signing KF to a lifetime contract. Absolutely fine with mediocre results. I'm sure you'll be thrilled to fill this class with a bunch more reaches, beating out the Minnesota State's of the world, so Kirk can give you another 7 or 8 win season.

If you wish to see the problem - go look in the mirror ma'am. I have been one that has asked for more from KF than 7\8 wins. I don't like paying top dollar for "average" results. I also understand the reality of what Iowa is (I don't like it but it is what it is).

If no one puts words in your mouth you won't be able to speak intelligently - your welcome.

Again - if it wasn't an Iowa kid (say he was from Florida with only CFU and some other obscure college) you would be fine with the offer and pissed if we lost him. Add in - if he picks up a few more offers from say Wiscy, Neb, Minny, etc - you will consider it a good get?).

I was amazed after quickly reading the whole thread, starting back in 2017 how wrong a couple of people were! Is ChuckThomas still on the board? What a moron. To be fair, he wasn’t the only one.

Even more shocking was 42Hawks evaluation back in 2017. Suspected he would be a Center! That was a full year before Ferentz made the switch from DT to Center for him. Is 42 Hawk still on the board? Impressive. Beyond impressive!

I was amazed after quickly reading the whole thread, starting back in 2017 how wrong a couple of people were! Is ChuckThomas still on the board? What a moron. To be fair, he wasn’t the only one.

Even more shocking was 42Hawks evaluation back in 2017. Suspected he would be a Center! That was a full year before Ferentz made the switch from DT to Center for him. Is 42 Hawk still on the board? Impressive. Beyond impressive!
A lot of posters change their handles frequently because they are trolls. Hard to know with Chuck, but you can pick up on it by the way a poster writes, uses certain expressions, same repetitive criticism, etc.

Reactions: Birdmanil
Wish I could say that I'm prescient ... but sadly a lot of players I project as surefire "hits" end up missing the mark.

I had high hopes for Levi Duwa ... probably a perfectly great teammate ... but didn't really contribute much on the field. Same deal for Isaiah Bruce.

However, if you do look at Kendrick Green ... I projected him as being equally good on the OL or DL ... and the Hawks just missed out on him to the Illini. He ended up being a high achieving interior O-lineman too.

Win some ... you lose some ...

Wish I could say that I'm prescient ... but sadly a lot of players I project as surefire "hits" end up missing the mark.

I had high hopes for Levi Duwa ... probably a perfectly great teammate ... but didn't really contribute much on the field. Same deal for Isaiah Bruce.

However, if you do look at Kendrick Green ... I projected him as being equally good on the OL or DL ... and the Hawks just missed out on him to the Illini. He ended up being a high achieving interior O-lineman too.

Fans who make projections also don't attend junior days, camps, all-star events, etc. And they don't meet and greet recruits. Your posts are greatly respected on the forum. Iowa is in a great spot, talent wise. I think we can all agree on that. Go Hawks!

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69

Injuries got to be too much for poor Levi.

Bruce is a freshman. It’s a bit early to call him a bust, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT