ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. stocks log worst day since September as Powell pushes back on March rate cut

Smart move by Powell to wait and lower rates several times over the summer to help Biden.
I do not think he had a lot of choice. It is not like he gets to pick a number out of the air.

Real rates are too low at present ... I do not think his statement today was a big surprise.

Last edited:
I am not surprised. I thought the market was overexuberant on cuts.
The economy is strong, labor market strong...sstrong...growth strong..need to see signs of cooling before fed will back off.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
when we get a down turn I get more points of an investment on my incoming dollar. My previous dollar is invisible until I need it. I’m 38 though so it’s been pretty simple for the last 17ish years.

200w.gif

One bad day and look who is back. I guess if you keep calling for the crash, some day you may be right.

And anyone that thought rate cuts were coming in march were being way to overly optimistic.
Who said there's going to be a crash. All I've been saying is that it is overvalued as hell and people are going to get burned.

I don't understand the "My 401k has made so much money" when it's freaking unrealized gains.

BRB, buying NVDA at 650

I don't understand the "My 401k has made so much money" when it's freaking unrealized gains.
LOL! This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard. You will never have realized gains in a 401K. If someone has a million dollars in a 401K, it is worth exactly that at this point in time. I can move mine to a fund that has never lost money anytime I want.

Reactions: artradley
Dang I panicked and pulled completely out of the market late yesterday. I can't handle those 1 day bears. I'll jump back in full force tomorrow, kind of a market timing deal.
It’s not timing the market, but time in the market. That’s what I’ve been told.

Now @NorthernHawkeye - were you going to start a thread about the rebound today? I made some money today!

NoWho said there's going to be a crash. All I've been saying is that it is overvalued as hell and people are going to get burned.

BRB, buying NVDA at 650
No need to hate. It's easy money right now.

Huh? Of course you do.

Now, you are correct that your basis is zero. But if you contributed $100k, it grew to $200k, and you sold and went all cash, you still have realized gains of $100k.
No. If it's a regular 401K you don't pay taxes on the contributions so principal and interest are taxed at withdrawal. If it's a Roth then the contributions are taxed and then all withdrawals are untaxed if done under the guidelines.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT