ADVERTISEMENT

UAB Blazer appreciation thread

wyohawk

HB Heisman
Jan 8, 2009
Small victory for a poor school whose football team was just euthanized. Enjoy it, fellas.

What a great start to the tourney.

This post was edited on 3/19 1:48 PM by wyohawk

IN! Way to Blazers! In appreciation of the "Blazers" I bet Bryce Dejean-Jones even fires one up.

OK, who made the wish at Buffalo Wild Wings?

I just want to say, Thanks!

This game was won on the offensive glass. UAB just smoked ISU all day on the glass. Well done UAB...
Suck it ISU....stick that in your pipe and smoke it...Just oodles and oodles of joy right now...Let's hope the Hawks bring it tommorrow night..

Originally posted by DanL53:

OK, who made the wish at Buffalo Wild Wings?

I just want to say, Thanks!
Maybe next time they air that damned commercial they'll take out the Iowa/Northwestern St clip and replace it with an ISU/UAB clip? That thing makes me want to throw a chair every time.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Bill Plaschke þ@BillPlaschke 4m4 minutes ago Many of Iowa State's players walk off without shaking hands...classless ending to a classess effort..something wrong in that locker room.

One of UAB's players was from Iowa at some point? My buddy said that one of the kids dad coached in Iowa? Anyone know anything on this?

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:
One of UAB's players was from Iowa at some point? My buddy said that one of the kids dad coached in Iowa? Anyone know anything on this?
Thinking I saw that the other night - kid's dad was a senior on the 1980 Iowa team, still has grandparents here.

So is ISU the only school to loose first round games as a #2 and now #3?

I try to be for ISU, but I couldn't because of the bunch of jerks they have, led by Niang and his antics in Iowa City. Nice game today, George. Got any cute hand signals or facial expressions for the crowd? What? Many Ames boys aren't even shaking hands? Hard to believe the decorum has disappeared under the mayor. Oh well...wait til next year.
laugh.r191677.gif

I just can't help but root against anything that that obnoxious fat turd Niang is associated with. Or that little prick Long.

Kudos to UAB. As a Cyclone fan, you have to give it up to the Blazers. They outplayed ISU in every phase of the game, and deserved to win. Refs played zero role, ISU simply got beat. Anyone who says Niang got fouled on that shot is overlooking the obvious: ISU played uninspired, sloppy, and deserved lose. UAB played great.

Good season. Disappointing end. Best of luck to UNI and Iowa tomorrow.

10 out of 13 scholarship players on UAB are freshman or sophomores, 6th youngest team in college hoops. Pretty crazy they were not only able to make it but win in tourney. Could be a pretty good team in 2 years when they are seniors and juniors.

Hey stender I see your players showed their typical level of class again as well.

Let me guess they were affraid for their safety again right?

Originally posted by hawkeyefanatic84:
10 out of 13 scholarship players on UAB are freshman or sophomores, 6th youngest team in college hoops. Pretty crazy they were not only able to make it but win in tourney. Could be a pretty good team in 2 years when they are seniors and juniors.
That's pretty cool. Kind of interested to see how they progress.

I haven't looked, but I wonder how much the youngsters contribute statistically.

I get all the hating on Niang, but at least he was one of the players that stayed and congratulated the UAB players and coaches after the game.

Originally posted by BDJHawk:
Anyone have the name of the UAB guy with the Iowa connections? His Dads name?

Ken Norman. Played for Olson and was kind of a two headed two guard along with Dick Peth. I understand he is the Women's Coach at UAB?

He played for Iowa City Regina if I recall correctly.

Originally posted by stender72865:
Kudos to UAB. As a Cyclone fan, you have to give it up to the Blazers. They outplayed ISU in every phase of the game, and deserved to win. Refs played zero role, ISU simply got beat. Anyone who says Niang got fouled on that shot is overlooking the obvious: ISU played uninspired, sloppy, and deserved lose. UAB played great.

Good season. Disappointing end. Best of luck to UNI and Iowa tomorrow.
Good post and thanks for the best wishes.

That is a hell of a coaching job this year at UAB. It is no understatement to say that UAB looked like the worst non-conference opponent my Badgers played this year. Never in a million years could you have convinced me back in November that the Blazers would make the tournament much less win a game.

Player is Nick Norton, Dad is Randy Norton, coach of UAB women. Played baseball and basketball at Iowa, coached Davenport Assumption for a long time. Still has family in Iowa City.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Player is Nick Norton, Dad is Randy Norton, coach of UAB women. Played baseball and basketball at Iowa, coached Davenport Assumption for a long time. Still has family in Iowa City.

Damn...that makes me feel old...I was a senior on Randy's first varsity team at AHS...he never had a losing season there (we were 12-12)...loved playing for him...wanted us to put up 70 shots a game...we pressed and changed defenses every made basket or free throw...we hit 100 points 3 times that year and had two more games of 90+...fun times...

Ken Norman. Played for Olson and was kind of a two headed two guard along with Dick Peth. I understand he is the Women's Coach at UAB?

Tom Norman played along side Dick Peth. Norman transferred in from Iowa St. I do not remember Norman being from Regina.

Originally posted by CJBauer:
Originally posted by cidhawkeye:

Damn...that makes me feel old...I was a senior on Randy's first varsity team at AHS...he never had a losing season there (we were 12-12)...loved playing for him...wanted us to put up 70 shots a game...we pressed and changed defenses every made basket or free throw...we hit 100 points 3 times that year and had two more games of 90+...fun times...
Posted from http://www.uabsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031715aac.html

Nice little story on the Norton family. Seems crazy that Nick is in college now, I always remember him running around shooting on the court after games when his dad was coaching at Assumption.

This guy?

mbminn-024.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT