ADVERTISEMENT

Sons appreciation thread

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
We had a father appreciate thread a while back, so I thought I'd try one out for us dads with sons.

My son is 10, he's essentially an only child because his sisters are 25 and 22. Over the last few years it's been pure joy watching him grow (athletically and academically) despite some of his disabilities. Sports has really become a game changer for him; especially with regards to self confidence. He's on a travel soccer team and loving it, but when it comes to sports, football has become his passion.

I've always missed football season once the Super Bowl is over, but these days I miss it more because of the bonding it's created for me and my son. He is obsessed with both college (FSU) and NFL (Texans) and just can't get enough of it. I have to have the AP and Coaches poll printed and on the table every Monday morning for him to review during the season. LOL

I was able to take him to his first FSU game in Doak last year and let's just say it exceeded my expectations. Here he is with one of his heroes!

10sPxf1.jpg

So here's to my son!

Let's hear about yours, HROTers. What are some things you enjoy with yours? What are you proud of?

Last edited:
My older son is 27, an auditor for an insurance company, video game addict, loves Iowa Football/Basketball and the NBA. His favorite memory was being on the sidelines for the 55-24 OSU win. He ran XC/track in college.

My younger son is 23, a HS Chemistry/Biology teacher, basketball and track coach (he ran XC/track in college). He just got a high enough rating to qualify for professional disc golf events and plays a LOT with Gavin Babcock (top 35 disc golfer who he went to college with).

My older son is 27, an auditor for an insurance company, video game addict, loves Iowa Football/Basketball and the NBA. His favorite memory was being on the sidelines for the 55-24 OSU win. He ran XC/track in college.

My younger son is 23, a HS Chemistry/Biology teacher, basketball and track coach (he ran XC/track in college). He just got a high enough rating to qualify for professional disc golf events and plays a LOT with Gavin Babcock (top 35 disc golfer who he went to college with).
Love it!

...sounds like you're old like me. ;)

Last edited:
We had a father appreciate thread a while back, so I thought I'd try one out for us dads with sons.

My son is 10, he's essentially an only child because his sisters are 25 and 22. Over the last few years it's been pure joy watching him grow (athletically and academically) despite some of his disabilities. Sports has really become a game changer for him; especially with regards to self confidence. He's on a travel soccer team and loving it, but when it comes to sports, football has become his passion.

I've always missed football season once the Super Bowl is over, but these days I miss it more because of the bonding it's created for me and my son. He is obsessed with both college (FSU) and NFL (Texans) and just can't get enough of it. I have to have the AP and Coaches poll printed and on the table every Monday morning for him to review during the season. LOL

I was able to take him to his first FSU game in Doak last year and let's just say it exceeded my expectations. Here he is with one of his heroes!

10sPxf1.jpg

So here's to my son!

Let's hear about yours, HROTers. What are some things you enjoy with yours? What are you proud of?
Infectious smiles. Damn nice-looking family. 👍

I have 3 sons, no daughters. My two oldest sons (33 & 30 years old) are both great fathers, measurably better than I was at that stage in life, I couldn't be more proud of them and I'm so grateful to have the 3 grandkids they're raising so well, everyone happy and healthy. My youngest son (21) is finishing his 3rd year at Iowa and he consistently makes the Dean's list and the President's list while taking a full class load and working 30 hours a week to boot. He could have done anything he wanted to do professionally as he's whip smart and a devoted student, but he chose to go into elementary education and coaching as he truly loves working with kids and younger athletes. He may never be rich but he knows exactly what he wants to do in life and his choice to be a teacher fills me with great pride and respect.

My oldest is high-functioning autistic (28). He has trouble making friends, but he is part of a group of autistic adults who go out and do things together like movies and dinners. He has a job he loves and does well. We do worry about him later in life so we're trying to make sure we have him set up for when we're gone.

My youngest is a long-haired computer nerd (just turned 24). He moved to Bemidji, MN over Christmas and loves it. Working and going to school. Lives with a great girl we like very much.

My kiddo three months before turning 3 which was a few weeks ago. We hear sirens outside. I look at him and I say: "Police!" He looks up, listens more, and he says: "That's no police car, that's a fire truck!"
I have a better one. We're sitting around reading the paper on a Saturday morning when police show up at the front and back doors. I go to the door and ask them what's up. They tell me there was a 911 call from our address. I tell them I have no idea what they're talking about and explained it was just my wife and 2 kids that were home with me and that there is no problem. Apparently my 2 year old son got one of the phones and somehow dialed 911. It took a bit to convince the police that it was a prank call from a toddler. 😃

Last edited:
My three sons.

Cole, who is 23. Cole was born with Downs Syndrome. Pretty proud of this young man. He has a giant collection of bronze, silver and gold medals from the Iowa Special Olympics in track, basketball skills, bowling and power lifting. He was voted Homecoming King his senior year. He was the first student with Down Syndrome to compete in the Iowa High School Dance Team State competition. He is currently employed at Fareway.

My middle son, Owen, is 21 and a junior at Morningside, majoring in business. He’s set to graduate in 3.5 years in Dec. He played football for the Mustangs 3 years, started at TE his junior year. Got a NC ring his freshman year. Decided to enjoy college his final year and not have football run his life 10 months out of the year.

Aiden is our youngest. Sophomore in HS. Straight A’s, currently #2 in his class rank. Started in football at guard his Soph year. Also plays basketball and throws in track. Wants to eventually run his own performance enhancing gym for basketball and football.

My three sons.

Cole, who is 23. Cole was born with Downs Syndrome. Pretty proud of this young man. He has a giant collection of bronze, silver and gold medals from the Iowa Special Olympics in track, basketball skills, bowling and power lifting. He was voted Homecoming King his senior year. He was the first student with Down Syndrome to compete in the Iowa High School Dance Team State competition. He is currently employed at Fareway.
Both of my mom's sisters are mentally challenged (or intellectually disabled, I think is the new term) and I grew up spending a lot of time volunteering with the Special Olympics. Another friend of mine, wrote a book titled, "The Gift of the Unexpected" about her journey with her son who has Downs. Has your son ever attended one of Tim Tebow's Nights to Shine Proms? My youngest aunt is about to turn 60 and she goes every year!

My middle son, Owen, is 21 and a junior at Morningside, majoring in business. He’s set to graduate in 3.5 years in Dec. He played football for the Mustangs 3 years, started at TE his junior year. Got a NC ring his freshman year. Decided to enjoy college his final year and not have football run his life 10 months out of the year.

Aiden is our youngest. Sophomore in HS. Straight A’s, currently #2 in his class rank. Started in football at guard his Soph year. Also plays basketball and throws in track. Wants to eventually run his own performance enhancing gym for basketball and football.
Sounds like a family of athletes! Love it. What's the relationship like between your oldest and your two younger ones?

Both of my mom's sisters are mentally challenged (or intellectually disabled, I think is the new term) and I grew up spending a lot of time volunteering with the Special Olympics. Another friend of mine, wrote a book titled, "The Gift of the Unexpected" about her journey with her son who has Downs. Has your son ever attended one of Tim Tebow's Nights to Shine Proms? My youngest aunt is about to turn 60 and she goes every year!

Sounds like a family of athletes! Love it. What's the relationship like between your oldest and your two younger ones?
I appreciate your reply. He hasn’t ever attended TT’s Night to Shine. We have heard about it, but never looked into it. He loves music and dancing, so that seems like a no brainer. Just located one less than an hour away. I’m also going to check out that book! Friend of ours from Omaha wrote a book “The Little King and the Marshmallow Kingdom” which is a children’s book.

We are blessed with some pretty good athletes. I was a baseball player and my wife was a track athlete. We combined to make athletics far superior to our limited talents.

The relation between the three boys has always been great. They are extremely supportive of each other. Owen and Cole are close last in age, and were much closer growing up. They did everything together. They have distanced a bit with him being in college. Aiden, 7 years younger than Cole has really stepped in and now he and Cole are very tight. We’ve had the conversation with the both of them about the responsibility both of them share if/when something happens to us where we can’t look after Cole.

I appreciate your reply. He hasn’t ever attended TT’s Night to Shine. We have heard about it, but never looked into it. He loves music and dancing, so that seems like a no brainer. Just located one less than an hour away. I’m also going to check out that book! Friend of ours from Omaha wrote a book “The Little King and the Marshmallow Kingdom” which is a children’s book.
That's awesome, please report back whenever he's able to attend. I'd love to hear about it!
We are blessed with some pretty good athletes. I was a baseball player and my wife was a track athlete. We combined to make athletics far superior to our limited talents.

The relation between the three boys has always been great. They are extremely supportive of each other. Owen and Cole are close last in age, and were much closer growing up. They did everything together. They have distanced a bit with him being in college. Aiden, 7 years younger than Cole has really stepped in and now he and Cole are very tight. We’ve had the conversation with the both of them about the responsibility both of them share if/when something happens to us where we can’t look after Cole.
My mom LOVES her sisters, but at the same time struggled with the extra pressure her parents (especially her dad) put on her for being the only "normal" child in the family. My mom is a boomer and grew up during the time where acceptance of the disabled wasn't really mainstream. It was common for my sweet mother to come home tattered and bruised from a bus stop fight after hearing, "What's wrong with your stupid sister!?" She and my oldest aunt were only 2 years apart, but my 60 year old aunt was born when my mom turned 18 and instead of getting to move out, she was guilted into staying home and helping. My mom is more like a second mother to her than a sister and we lost her other sister a few years ago to Alzheimer's--they were very close.

Anyway, it's great to hear the boys are close. I've often admired the pure heart and innocence of my aunts. ❤️

That's awesome, please report back whenever he's able to attend. I'd love to hear about it!

My mom LOVES her sisters, but at the same time struggled with the extra pressure her parents (especially her dad) put on her for being the only "normal" child in the family. My mom is a boomer and grew up during the time where acceptance of the disabled wasn't really mainstream. It was common for my sweet mother to come home tattered and bruised from a bus stop fight after hearing, "What's wrong with your stupid sister!?" She and my oldest aunt were only 2 years apart, but my 60 year old aunt was born when my mom turned 18 and instead of getting to move out, she was guilted into staying home and helping. My mom is more like a second mother to her than a sister and we lost her other sister a few years ago to Alzheimer's--they were very close.

Anyway, it's great to hear the boys are close. I've often admired the pure heart and innocence of my aunts. ❤️
I appreciate you sharing. I’m sure it was very difficult growing up with Special Needs 50 years ago. I can’t even imagine how horrible kids could be and can be. We deal/dealt with some minor things, but overall Cole has had an amazing 23 years of inclusion.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
This is my 5 year old. He has two kids in college currently (18 and 20). When he isn't in pre-K, he spends his time riding jeep and volunteer firefighting.
8hu1pq.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Our son is 31, married and living in Alpharetta Georgia. He works in the corporate office of Serta Simmons Bedding as an account manager and trainer. He left the position of district manager for Mattress Firm to accept this position. He's very good at what he does and seems happy.
We share a love for sports. He was getting letters from colleges in his junior year of HS for football. Then, he tore his rotator cuff and labrum which resulted in three surgeries over 15 months. That ended his football career. He's a great cook making things I never envisioned him eating. When he's down at our house, we will spend at least a couple of days on the smoker. He goes home with enough food to fill his freezer.
To sum it up, we love the man he's become.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT