ADVERTISEMENT

UI, regents settle racial discrimination lawsuit for $4.2 million with former Iowa football players

I see this as similar to people who were never exposed to Christianity not getting into heaven.
I mean black people in Iowa have to be so rare that your coaches probably didn't know that what they were doing was wrong.

I see Florida State integrated its football program in 1968 - kicking and screaming I'm sure. Congratulations.

Iowa's first black football player joined the squad in 1895.

Thanks for the lecture.

Lawyers win and this thing remains in the media,... I think the University just wants this gone...
We just paid four million dollars to buy every coach we recruit against ammo for as long as KF is here. “The Iowa coaches were so racist they had to give Akrum Wadley six figures. Now come to Nebraska.”

Reactions: JupiterHawk
We just paid four million dollars to buy every coach we recruit against ammo for as long as KF is here. “The Iowa coaches were so racist they had to give Akrum Wadley six figures. Now come to Nebraska.”
Meh nobody remembers thee after a year

Reactions: EasyHawk
What are the odds that someone (B. Ferentz or G. Barta) isn’t working for University of Iowa by the first game of the 2023 season?

I would have to think it’s 50/50 at this point. Seems like Gary is gettin the most arrows so I bet it’s him.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
ADs are basically used car salesman. Get rid of one and another just as good bad takes the job, So I say off with his head!

Say what you want, but I bet Jaime Pollard would do much better at the helm with Iowa’s resources in conjunction with Big Ten tv money and even wouldn’t stifle but encourage the growth of the NIL in IA City.

If KF was not in the loop about settlement......JFC Barta.
I think this happens alot. My malpractice insurance will certainly settle without my say in whether I want to defend. There has also been an issue post pandemic with lawsuits in which juries have gotten "dumber" and settlements have been a lot higher.

Say what you want, but I bet Jaime Pollard would do much better at the helm with Iowa’s resources in conjunction with Big Ten tv money and even wouldn’t stifle but encourage the growth of the NIL in IA City.

I don’t know that I trust Pollard to wisely spend all that BT money.

I was never following this that closely, but I haven't even heard of most of those players. Nice payday for them.

"The Iowa Athletics department will also work with Leonard Moore, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin, to help with the operations of the five-year diversity, equity, and inclusion plan."

That will probably be prohibited by state law before the duration of the five years.
Well, one was the career leader in recepetions and another twice had 1,000 yard rushing seasons. The running back, up until a month or so before the lawsuit, was, with his mother, trying to get Iowa to recruit his younger brother.

Reactions: McLovin32
Didn't he build a bridge to nowhere in Ames?

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
Yes I suppose he should have kept better records, but had I responded to my boss in the same manner, I would have had no recourse whatsoever.
As a government agency supervisors keeping documented evidence of performance issues is critical.

That's why it's hard to fire government employees...because supervisors don't document shit properly.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Yes I suppose he should have kept better records, but had I responded to my boss in the same manner, I would have had no recourse whatsoever.
The field hockey case was so poorly argued in court by the state. The coach literally told players to kill themselves and none of that came out at trial. Put one of those girls on the stand to make that statement and no jury would have awarded them anything. Telling a college student to kill themself as a coach would have most people looking right past any discrimination claim at the adult that would do such a thing to a kid.

As for this one it is hard to read. The very people that initially made the claims of racial bias were insistent that Ferentz was a great coach and certain things just needed to change. They were clear they did not want him fired

This case stinks because the coaches now have zero recourse to clear their name. They have been dragged and a deal that is good in the eyes of the state AG doesn't mean it is good in the eyes of those accused. Who knows for sure but it is a shame it ends this way without recourse for the coaches. Maybe they are privately celebrating that they won't need to take the stand and be judged while publicly claiming otherwise

Rob Sand has proven yet again his biggest skill is seeking attention at any cost. Such a tool

If Kirk didn’t want to settle, or be mad, he could have paid for the lawyers instead of having UI pick up the tab.
When you are a defendant you dont have a choice if the plaintiff removes you from the case. So KF had no control over this (maybe). They knew the U would settle and the coaches wanted to fight so they dropped the coaches.

That said, I really dont think the coaches wanted any part of the witness stand. Like mentioned above, it would be a really bad look for them and there would be media gold somewhere in there.

I think this happens alot. My malpractice insurance will certainly settle without my say in whether I want to defend. There has also been an issue post pandemic with lawsuits in which juries have gotten "dumber" and settlements have been a lot higher.
My malpractice can not settle without my agreement. Had a patient sue me for $500 for no treating her because she would not sign the informed consent and she was verbally abusive. My MP wanted to settle and I said no way cause that will follow you. They fought it off and obviously won but it likely cost them 10-15k.

I think he did that to my mom.

Which is dumb quite frankly. You are getting money for it, how hard is it to buy a football at Walmart or he'll on Amazon, sign your name with a sharpe and UPS it out.
It’s extremely dumb. And I remember when it first happened, anyone that tagged him on Twitter complaining that they had paid but never received anything, he just blocked. Wadley was one of my fav players until he came out as a massive piece of crap person.

I really think Kirk is a good person. I think he has tunnel vision being on the job too long.

He must really love the actual coaching of football. He hates social media, NIL, and the transfer portal. He has enough money to buy an island and disappear. I would be long gone.

When you are a defendant you dont have a choice if the plaintiff removes you from the case. So KF had no control over this (maybe). They knew the U would settle and the coaches wanted to fight so they dropped the coaches.

That said, I really dont think the coaches wanted any part of the witness stand. Like mentioned above, it would be a really bad look for them and there would be media gold somewhere in there.
I know. And Kirk should know that. He's a university/state employee.
Kirk on the stand, Brian on the stand... Disastrous.

I don’t know that I trust Pollard to wisely spend all that BT money.

I think you have to look at his body of work as a whole. Is ISU in a better position from an athletics standpoint than when he got there? I’m talking about from a competing standpoint in their conference, national exposure, facility upgrades, fundraising.

Or another way, if Pollard was at the U of I could he accomplish what Barta has? I believe he could. Would Gary have the same success as Jaime has if he were in Ames. I personally don’t think so.

Plus, look at the lawsuits that have forced the U of I to pay out under Gary’s tenure.

I think you have to look at his body of work as a whole. Is ISU in a better position from an athletics standpoint than when he got there? I’m talking about from a competing standpoint in their conference, national exposure, facility upgrades, fundraising.

Or another way, if Pollard was at the U of I could he accomplish what Barta has? I believe he could. Would Gary have the same success as Jaime has if he were in Ames. I personally don’t think so.

Plus, look at the lawsuits that have forced the U of I to pay out under Gary’s tenure.
I don’t disagree with you Swag. My take is that of a single fan who thinks Pollard is a clown when it comes to the politics of athletics in Iowa. I get it: it’s a role he had to play and he embraced it. But I’d have a hard time welcoming him to Iowa.

On the other hand, if his first act was to fire BF, I’d adore him.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
Hate that we settled with these ambulance chasing douches. Wadley is a clown and i can't wait until he burns through this money in 6 months. Happy he's dead to our fanbase tho at the very least

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT