ADVERTISEMENT

UI settles with Meyer/Griesbaum for $6.55M

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005
Ticket prices are going up next year.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...s-6-million-in-meyer-griesbaum-cases-20170519

The University of Iowa will pay $6.55 million to settle lawsuits asserting it discriminated against former Field Hockey Coach Tracey Griesbaum and former Associate Athletics Director Jane Meyer, the UI announced Friday.

The settlement, which includes the $1.43 million a jury awarded Meyer earlier this month, came after both sides agreed earlier this week to delay motions seeking additional damages in the Meyer case.

Popcorn, Soda Pop & Ice cream prices are going up......

That would be about 3 years of beer sales if they started selling in the stadium...

No Tigerhawk logo on the field this year. For sure going to be burritos and Mediacom logos all over the place

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Ticket prices are going up next year.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...s-6-million-in-meyer-griesbaum-cases-20170519

The University of Iowa will pay $6.55 million to settle lawsuits asserting it discriminated against former Field Hockey Coach Tracey Griesbaum and former Associate Athletics Director Jane Meyer, the UI announced Friday.

The settlement, which includes the $1.43 million a jury awarded Meyer earlier this month, came after both sides agreed earlier this week to delay motions seeking additional damages in the Meyer case.
I imagine after the results of Meyers trial, they decided to cut their losses, and stop the bleeding on the negative publicity. U of I is probably way ahead on this decision, because Meyer was going to get more money even before Greisbaums trial. I guess those two gals don't need to worry anymore if they can get a job or not, huh......

Popcorn, Soda Pop & Ice cream prices are going up......

That would be about 3 years of beer sales if they started selling in the stadium...

I bet thirsty Hawkeyes could do it in a year:
$6.5 M / 7 games / 45,000 drinking-age fans (total guess here) = $20.60 proft needed per person per game
One tall boy per quarter per fan paying $6/can - $1 at cost. Boom.

Let's see.... who's next on the price is right? Kowal? Blevins? Crawford? Dingman? Maybe even Faye Thompson can get a left hook in.
Well I'll bet Blevins is kicking herself for quitting before she was unjustly fired...which is where it was headed.

Reactions: MadDogC
well Mr. President what do you do now to fix the athletic dept?

perhaps what you did with the Alumni Association----fire the President and merge
the Athletic Department into the Iowa Foundation and let the new organization forget the fans except to ask more frequently for more money

This just makes me sick. The only real issue is unequal pay. How can anyone expect to keep your job when all the people you supervise can't stand to be in the same room with you? And as to gay bias, the women's BB coach is gay and said Barta treated her like family.

My sentiments exactly. Makes me absolutely sick. This is frickin joke. She had relations with a coach, while she was an associate ad, so basically sleeping with a subordinate, by all accounts sucked at her job, and nobody could stand her. But, apparently because she is a lesbian she is above losing her job?

I guarantee you nobody cares that she is a lesbian, and it had 0 to do with her firing. With the prevalence of such in female sports, suprised it's not a requirement. And if she was good at her job, raising money, promoting the athletic department, and getting projects done timely and on budget, no one would care who or what you are, as at the end of the it's a business, and if you are good for the business then you will be rewarded if not, then next man (I mean woman ) in...

Probably should have settled to begin with. Even though I don't agree with the court ruling. This is why big organizations settle. Probably could have saved UI a couple million and would have been a couple day story in Iowa.

My sentiments exactly. Makes me absolutely sick. This is frickin joke. She had relations with a coach, while she was an associate ad, so basically sleeping with a subordinate, by all accounts sucked at her job, and nobody could stand her. But, apparently because she is a lesbian she is above losing her job?

I guarantee you nobody cares that she is a lesbian, and it had 0 to do with her firing. With the prevalence of such in female sports, suprised it's not a requirement. And if she was good at her job, raising money, promoting the athletic department, and getting projects done timely and on budget, no one would care who or what you are, as at the end of the it's a business, and if you are good for the business then you will be rewarded if not, then next man (I mean woman ) in...

I agree with this. I will also add that if the University actually discriminated it should cost them WAY more than what was paid. They profited on poor documentation and a bunch of good old boys that didn't make issues a bigger deal when it happened.

I am a Barta supporter. He has overseen the largest facility and funding expansion in the programs history. Timing was a big part of that but I appreciate the decisions he has made. Got rid of Lick, hired Fran, got wrestling back together, kept Ferentz, made wonderful improvements to Kinnick and Carver, isn't a total dbag.... but he should go for this. Or at least lose any sort of supervision responsibilities.

You can breath you can serve on a jury. Any questions? (O.J. Simpson got cleared of double murder, there's another "jury of YOUR peers").

The lesson learned here is to be a member of a "victimized class". Free money. Welcome to America in 2017.

You had to bring in OJ....

The story is exactly that. A story.....and who told the better one. The university's state attorneys got their arses handed to them. Yes, Barta should have kept some simple documentation. Had he done so, there should have been no question that this person should have been fired. Persons...

Even still, I find it hard to believe that the university needs to pay these people. How could so many people in the athletic department, any department, breathe such a huge a sigh of relief when one person is gone, and there not be justification to terminate their employment?? Or another person literally screaming at a player to go kill themselves?? There is much more justification than just this. And yet they somehow get a dime for being fired?

With so many people having concern, there is no doubt they should have been fired. The university's attorneys got their butts kicked badly. They did not tell the story. I would suggest they are the ones who should be handed the pink slips. They are state employees.

Reactions: Ford26 and jimbob22
So if I get unjustly fired from work, how much do you all think I would get if I sued? Probably get one year salary.

You can breath you can serve on a jury. Any questions? (O.J. Simpson got cleared of double murder, there's another "jury of YOUR peers").

The lesson learned here is to be a member of a "victimized class". Free money. Welcome to America in 2017.
AMEN!!! It has invaded every part of life...schools and companies are so messed up right now.

You had to bring in OJ....

The story is exactly that. A story.....and who told the better one. The university's state attorneys got their arses handed to them. Yes, Barta should have kept some simple documentation. Had he done so, there should have been no question that this person should have been fired. Persons...

Even still, I find it hard to believe that the university needs to pay these people. How could so many people in the athletic department, any department, breathe such a huge a sigh of relief when one person is gone, and there not be justification to terminate their employment?? Or another person literally screaming at a player to go kill themselves?? There is much more justification than just this. And yet they somehow get a dime for being fired.

Because Lesbians. LBGT protected class BS.

It boils down to this....the second that the University's HR department OKed the sexual relationship between a boss and her report....Barta was hogtied. There was absolutely nothing anyone was going to be able to do to either of these two. They knew it...they had the "golden ticket" and according to all the reports they acted like it. It would not surprise me if they knew they were worth more fired than employed. The liberal tree huggers can deny that the things like this are unjust and criminal...but that is exactly what it is. The old saying "call a spade a spade" doesn't apply to them because in most cases they want the best of both worlds...treated the same, unless it has a negative effect on their lives....then scream discrimination.

If you were ever so lucky to be in the Iowa Football locker room pre-game and hear KF moments before kickoff, he yells repeatedly....DO YOUR JOB!!! If she would of just done her job and treated people like they should be then..... but again, she had the "golden ticket" and she knew it.

This just makes me sick. The only real issue is unequal pay. How can anyone expect to keep your job when all the people you supervise can't stand to be in the same room with you? And as to gay bias, the women's BB coach is gay and said Barta treated her like family.

Why should there be equal pay for athleticic director/coaches of sports nobody gives a shit about as measured by revenue? I agree Barta should be fired for incompetence in handling these firings.
The Gay bias is if you are a Lesbian in women's athletics, you can't be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT