ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa faculty leader warned regents about choosing Harreld

A perfect example has just arisen. United-Continental Airlines CEO has just stepped down and replaced by Oscar Munoz. Munoz has no background in the airline industry, but he does have a background in the railroad industry. Both industries are highly comparable due to logistical systems, government oversight, unions, etc. However, what do you think the people of United would think if someone completely inexperienced in the field of transportation (let's say an executive from Barnes & Noble) were hired as CEO? I'm quite certain there would be some disgruntled employees from management to pilots to mechanics to ticket agents. It's certainly possible the B & N CEO would be very good at the job, but it wouldn't be readily apparent from the get-go.

Do you realize that IBM hired him from Boston Market??? This is exactly the scenario you are claiming causes so much consternation. And he hit a home run with IBM I might add.

And people within the academic community need to get over themselves. It's not really that complicated or unique in academia that a good leader from the outside can't be successful at managing the organization/s. If anything - the incestual relationships within academia is one of the greatest threats to the future of quality education. And outside perspective is an absolute must at times.

I would really like Rastetter to address the lack of transparency on the part of the Board during this process. I'm perfectly fine that Harreld as the new president and hope he does a great job, but the Board made his introduction much more difficult than it needed to be.

Where is the lack of transparency of which you speak? What part was hidden that shouldn't have been?

And again - you place all the blame on the board. You don't think the faculty and COGS should own any of the responsibility for this difficult beginning due to their tantrums? What about the unfortunate behavior witnessed in the open forum? Is that the BOR's fault as well?

In case anyone hasn't taken the time to actually look at Harreld's published works.

“Leading Proactive Punctuated Change”, book chapter in Leading Sustainable Change: An Organizational Perspective , Oxford University Press, 2015
“Executing Strategy”, book chapter in Core Curriculum Strategy Reading,Harvard Business School Press, 2014
“Six Ways to Sink a Growth Initiative”, Harvard Business Review , June 2013
“Jamba Juice”,case series,Harvard Business Press, 2013
“Goorin Brothers Hats”, case series,Harvard Business Press, 2012
“Felipe Calderon: Leading with Light and Power”, case series,Harvard Business Press, 2011
“Chrysler Fiat 2009”, case series,Harvard Business Press, 2010
“Dynamic Capabilities at IBM: Driving Strategy into Action”, California Management Review
, August 2009
“Executing Strategy: A Background Note”, Harvard Business Press, 2009
“Financial Myopia in a Systems Business”, case, Harvard Business Press, 2009
“Organizational Ambidexterity: IBM and Emerging Business Opportunities”,California Management Review, August 2007, winner of Accenture Award for best business article of the year
“New Mindset for Growth During Crisis”, Financial Executive, 2009

Reactions: mstp1992
It's not really that complicated or unique in academia that a good leader from the outside can't be successful at managing the organization/s.

Qubein has certainly made it so at HPU. Undergrad admissions up nearly 200%, faculty up about 150%, four new schools, and lots more. He's definitely hit a home run.

Where is the lack of transparency of which you speak? What part was hidden that shouldn't have been?

And again - you place all the blame on the board. You don't think the faculty and COGS should own any of the responsibility for this difficult beginning due to their tantrums? What about the unfortunate behavior witnessed in the open forum? Is that the BOR's fault as well?
Very true. They were on the attack before the guy was even hired. And, with no reality basis to back up their poutrage.

In case anyone hasn't taken the time to actually look at Harreld's published works.

“Leading Proactive Punctuated Change”, book chapter in Leading Sustainable Change: An Organizational Perspective , Oxford University Press, 2015
“Executing Strategy”, book chapter in Core Curriculum Strategy Reading,Harvard Business School Press, 2014
“Six Ways to Sink a Growth Initiative”, Harvard Business Review , June 2013
“Jamba Juice”,case series,Harvard Business Press, 2013
“Goorin Brothers Hats”, case series,Harvard Business Press, 2012
“Felipe Calderon: Leading with Light and Power”, case series,Harvard Business Press, 2011
“Chrysler Fiat 2009”, case series,Harvard Business Press, 2010
“Dynamic Capabilities at IBM: Driving Strategy into Action”, California Management Review
, August 2009
“Executing Strategy: A Background Note”, Harvard Business Press, 2009
“Financial Myopia in a Systems Business”, case, Harvard Business Press, 2009
“Organizational Ambidexterity: IBM and Emerging Business Opportunities”,California Management Review, August 2007, winner of Accenture Award for best business article of the year
“New Mindset for Growth During Crisis”, Financial Executive, 2009
As we speak, leftists are combing feverishly through everything this guy has ever said or written trying to find something, anything, to discredit or embarrass him.

The leftist diseased mindset is quite disgusting.

Do you realize that IBM hired him from Boston Market??? This is exactly the scenario you are claiming causes so much consternation. And he hit a home run with IBM I might add.

And people within the academic community need to get over themselves. It's not really that complicated or unique in academia that a good leader from the outside can't be successful at managing the organization/s. If anything - the incestual relationships within academia is one of the greatest threats to the future of quality education. And outside perspective is an absolute must at times.
Both are essentially retail industries. Like I said I'm more than willing to give Harreld a chance. I'm just trying to point out reasons why someone in academia might not approve of a non-academic as his or her new boss. Simple as that.

On the other point, yes there were plenty of people who were disrespectful of Harreld during his forum. Inexcusable.

As far as transparency goes, Rastetter made it clear the board wanted to in a different direction. Fine, but why bring in 3 candidates who would be readily accepted by the campus if they already knew who their choice was?

Reactions: cigaretteman
[QUOTE="mstp1992, .

As far as transparency goes, Rastetter made it clear the board wanted to in a different direction. Fine, but why bring in 3 candidates who would be readily accepted by the campus if they already knew who their choice was?[/QUOTE]

Are you actually trying to imply the faculty and COGS would have been more accommodating if the BOR hired Harreld without any search proceas/committee?

[QUOTE="mstp1992, .

As far as transparency goes, Rastetter made it clear the board wanted to in a different direction. Fine, but why bring in 3 candidates who would be readily accepted by the campus if they already knew who their choice was?

Are you actually trying to imply the faculty and COGS would have been more accommodating if the BOR hired Harreld without any search proceas/committee?[/QUOTE]
I actually think so. "More" is a relative term also. I do think there would still be a certain amount of discontent, but I don't think you would have seen such a vitriolic response.

Again, I don't have anything against Harreld and I hope his career is very successful. You seem to think I'm defending the no confidence votes. I'm not. All I'm trying to convey are some reasons why many in the university community would be skeptical of such a non-traditional choice.

What industry are you in, by the way?

Last edited:
The leftist diseased mindset is quite disgusting.

speaking of disgusting, I like that you run and hid in the arson planned parenthood. I know you saw it cause I quoted you not once but twice in your hypocrisy

Are you actually trying to imply the faculty and COGS would have been more accommodating if the BOR hired Harreld without any search proceas/committee?
I actually think so. "More" is a relative term also. I do think there would still be a certain amount of discontent, but I don't think you would have seen such a vitriolic response.

Again, I don't have anything against Harreld and I hope his career is very successful. You seem to think I'm defending the no confidence votes. I'm not. All I'm trying to convey are some reasons why many in the university community would be skeptical of such a non-traditional choice.

What industry are you in, by the way?[/QUOTE]

I'm in aerospace. But I've also been adjunct faculty for over a decade.

Su
I really hope you're not trying to imply these are two similar organizations.
Of course there are differences. I don't think you're fully appreciating the differences between for-profit industries and academia.
All I'm trying to convey to you are reasons why one in academia would be skeptical of a hire such as Harreld. If you can't appreciate that then that's your issue. As a scientist I'm open to presenting alternative explanations.

Su

Of course there are differences. I don't think you're fully appreciating the differences between for-profit industries and academia.
That's rich given you just tried to present Boston Market and IBM as similar.

Look, I get your claim you're just trying to present some sort of rational explanation. But the problem is the way you explain things it's clear you have a slanted point of view in this. You are skewing things in a negative light to try to make the BOR be a worse actor than it actually was. The truth is the selection committee recommended him as one of the 4 finalists. From that point forward he's a viable candidate and the ridiculous behavior we've seen from the faculty/COGS has embarrassed this great institution. They've acted like children during this process -- and you wonder why the BOR wanted to go outside the academic community?

Harreld is one of the most respected strategy minds in the US. And we hit an absolute home run hiring him. It's too bad the closed-minded community he's being hired into isn't intelligent enough to realize this.

Last edited:

What industry are you in, by the way?

I'm in aerospace. But I've also been adjunct faculty for over a decade.[/QUOTE]
Good for you. All presenting are potential reasons for discontent with the board and this hire. I'm not condoning or justifying. If you're a good scientist you would appreciate the alternative explanations. That's quite often the crux of a good discussion section of a manuscript; you present alternative explanations to your own conclusions.

That's all I'm doing.

mstp1992,

If you get a chance read up on ambidextrous leadership/organizations. In simple terms it's a strategy to protect the current product while ensure funds are cordoned off for research and investment. It keeps a company from robbing peter to pay paul. But the most important aspect to this is how Harreld approached the strategy. His was to prioritize research and development -- and finding paths to market/monetizing the innovations. http://www.exed.hbs.edu/assets/documents/dynamic-capabilities.pdf

This is exactly the type of thought process the university needs right now. The foundation is trying to grow its out-licensing and really doesn't know what it's doing. The hospital can always look for revenue enhancements/streamlining. All of the University could use some streamlining/optimization. You don't hire an academic to do this. You hire a strategy guy who understands a profit-making enterprise.

Last edited:
I agree with mtsp. If they had just said, we want this guy because we want something different. Many would not have liked it, but it would have been better than the patronizing act Rastetter put on the faculty. Don't take input and act like its a group decision if it isn't one. I am wondering if even any of the other regents had any say in this or this is all Rastetter.

That's rich given you just tried to present Boston Market and IBM as similar.

Look, I get your claim you're just trying to present some sort of rational explanation. But the problem is the way you explain things it's clear you have a slanted point of view in this. You are skewing things in a negative light to try to make the BOR be a worse actor than it actually was. The truth is the selection committee recommended him as one of the 4 finalists. From that point forward he's a viable candidate and the ridiculous behavior we've seen from the faculty/COGS has embarrassed this great institution. They've acted like children during this process -- and you wonder why the BOR wanted to go outside the academic community?

Harreld is one of the most respected strategy minds in the US. And we hit an absolute home run hiring him. It's too bad the closed-minded community he's being hired into isn't intelligent enough to realize this.
As I've said numerous times, I have few concerns with Harreld as president. His qualifications are impressive. He is an outside the box hire without a doubt, and never have I condoned the behavior of those fools during his Q & A.
However, I maintain the board could have handled this much better had they not claimed all along they wanted input from the university community when they already knew who they wanted to hire. If he had been hired without some public spectacle his tenure would be off to a much better start.

mstp1992,

If you get a chance read up on ambidextrous leadership/organizations. In simple terms it's a strategy to protect the current product while ensure funds are cordoned off for research and investment. It keeps a company from robbing peter to pay paul. But the most important aspect to this is how Harreld approached the strategy. His was to prioritize research and development -- and finding paths to market/monetizing the innovations. http://www.exed.hbs.edu/assets/documents/dynamic-capabilities.pdf

This is exactly the type of thought process the university needs right now. The foundation is trying to grow its out-licensing and really doesn't know what it's doing. The hospital can always look for revenue enhancements/streamlining. All of the University could use some streamlining/optimization. You don't hire an academic to do this. You hire a strategy guy who understands a profit-making enterprise.
Thanks for the PDF . I'll read through it today. I just wish the board had been more forthcoming from the beginning.

Talking with one person who was on the search committee he also felt the board was less than honest with them in terms of giving equal weight to all the candidates and they had their minds made up before the Final 4. There was no way Harreld was not going to be one of the final candidates. If the committee had selected 4 academics he felt the board would have rejected all of them outright and not hire anyone. Then, the board would have gone with a closed door selection process and hire Harreld anyway. 3 academics and Harreld was essentially a compromise if for no other reason than to put out in public what type candidates the faculty and staff wanted vs what the board wanted.

Time will tell if Harreld is the right choice. I certainly hope he is. And I also hope the faculty, staff, and students give him a chance and choose to work with him, not against him.

Its the whole view of what the university is that is at the core of this argument, and where Herrald falls we don't know yet.

Is the University nothing more than something to train workers and monetize patents for Corporate America? Or is its role to educate people and produce well rounded citizens who make meaningful contributions to society through their work and service?

Its the whole view of what the university is that is at the core of this argument, and where Herrald falls we don't know yet.

Is the University nothing more than something to train workers and monetize patents for Corporate America? Or is its role to educate people and produce well rounded citizens who make meaningful contributions to society through their work and service?

Did you happen to notice the $2 billion dollar hospital over by kinnick?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT