ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa police testify protester encouraged others to block traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In a criminal case testing the bounds of Iowa’s law on public protest, University of Iowa police officers testified Tuesday that Tara Dutcher — a transgender musician and community activist — encouraged others to block traffic while rallying against a speaker last fall at the UI who opposed gender-affirming care for minors.

Iowa is among 16 states to enact “Back the Blue” laws, increasing protest-related penalties following demonstrations over the killing of George Floyd in Minnesota in 2020, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Iowa’s law provided expanded protections for drivers who hit street protesters.

Three officers testified Tuesday said they didn’t interfere with the UI protesters until they started blocking traffic after 8 p.m. Oct. 16, 2023, when the Iowa Union Memorial event featuring speaker Chloe Cole ended and those in attendance were trying to leave the campus.

Footage from the officers’ body cameras were shown during the first day of the trial for Dutcher, also known as Tara McGovern, 45, of Coralville, who uses the they/them pronouns. Police said protesters were resisting their attempts to move them out of intersection of Madison and Jefferson streets in Iowa City, which are the main roadways to leave campus from the student union.

Dutcher, in the videos, told UI Police Investigator Travis Tyrell that it was their right to protest and to stop “touching” people, as he was directing the group to get out of the street so officers could open up one lane of traffic for drivers. The videos showed Tyrell and other police pushing protesters in the direction of the other lane when they wouldn’t move themselves.

Dutcher is on trial for disorderly conduct obstructing streets and interference with officials acts, both misdemeanors. If convicted, they face up to a year in jail and up to $2,560 in fines. Dutcher was arrested with six others. Five of those charged pleaded to simple misdemeanors and received probation and deferred sentences.

Tyrell, during his testimony, said he learned the protesters had taken over the intersection — marching in a circle — and blocking traffic. So he decided to come up with another plan to at least open up one lane for drivers.

He and five or six other officers formed a line and then moved toward protesters, asking them to move out of one of the lanes on Madison Street. Tyrell said there about 100 to 142 protesters and some were cursing at the police.

Tyrell called for backup, and when officers arrived with lights and sirens, it seemed to move the protesters out of the lane so traffic could get through. Protesters then marched to the UI president’s home, but remained on the sidewalk and not in the street.

Tyrell said his goals that night were to support free speech and address safety concerns. He said he didn’t want drivers to become frustrated because of the blocked traffic and possibly harm pedestrians.

On cross exam, Tyrell said he wrote two police reports but didn’t include Dutcher in the first report because he hadn’t identified the protester then. Detective Ian Mallory then asked him to write another report over Dutcher’s actions.

Mallory testified he was observing the cameras from the area of the event and monitoring social media to ensure safety. He was asked by UI student services to monitor the event because the speaker was controversial. The group didn’t have a permit through the city for the protest and didn’t notify police in advance, he said.

He said Dutcher wasn’t immediately arrested that night because he had been working 10-hour shifts over four days and then went on vacation. He issued a warrant when he returned.

Gina Messamer, Dutcher’s lawyer, asked Mallory how he knew of Dutcher.

Mallory said he knew Dutcher through social media. In the past, he had seen Dutcher’s posts and knew of their local activism.

The prosecution rested after Mallory testified, and Messamer asked for a directed verdict — she argued there was insufficient evidence to show intent.

Sixth Judicial Associate District Judge Jason Burns said he would take the motion under advisement and asked Assistant Johnson County Attorney Jacob Behnke to be prepared to tell him what specific intent Dutcher had.

Burns said he wasn’t indicating that the case wouldn’t go to the jury, but the court needs some “guidance.”

Dutcher is expected to testify Wednesday in their own defense.

Burns also warned the supporters of Dutcher and others in the courtroom to not interfere with the jury or trial process because someone had written something inappropriate in the women’s rest room.

In the women’s restroom on the third floor of the courthouse, someone wrote “jury nullification” in one of the bathroom stalls. Jury nullification is when jurors believe a defendant is guilty but “exercise the jury’s power to acquit.”

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Specific? lol So all protestors are LGBTQ+---where's your +, fascist?? No! In this case it was! If it makes you feel any better, I'd kick your mortgage lending ass all over the street too if you were blocking me from getting my child to the hospital.......
is this not you?
Ya, if I was taking a beloved family member to the hospital or chiropractor, that would be one dead tranny sprawled over a curb......

Specific? lol So all protestors are LGBTQ+---where's your +, fascist?? No! In this case it was! If it makes you feel any better, I'd kick your mortgage lending ass all over the street too if you were blocking me from getting my child to the hospital.......
I'm sincerely asking you to seek professional help before you hurt someone.

Never looked for trouble in my life, but when it comes calling…..
Which it hasn't. No one is threatening you. A protestor blocking a street is a hassle, and I believe they should be punished if they break a law. But you've now threatened violence against LGBTQ in two threads today, as well as against me simply because I called you out on it. You're insecure and immature, and I pretty much loathe everything about you, but if I could help you before you hurt someone or yourself, I would.

Which it hasn't. No one is threatening you. A protestor blocking a street is a hassle, and I believe they should be punished if they break a law. But you've now threatened violence against LGBTQ in two threads today, as well as against me simply because I called you out on it. You're insecure and immature, and I pretty much loathe everything about you, but if I could help you before you hurt someone or yourself, I would.
Are you dense or just a whiner? I threatened no group. I said if the moron who is the subject of this thread impeded me from getting a family member to the hospital, there would be an issue. Gee, if it was also a Catholic, would that mean I was threatening Catholics as a group? I thought you'd take the hint when I added you to mean doesn't matter who it is,

I love that a wuss like you "loathes everything about me," but I'm probably the least insecure person you'll encounter. Do me a favor and please, please tell me you're NOT a native Iowan?!?!

Are you dense or just a whiner? I threatened no group. I said if the moron who is the subject of this thread impeded me from getting a family member to the hospital, there would be an issue. Gee, if it was also a Catholic, would that mean I was threatening Catholics as a group? I thought you'd take the hint when I added you to mean doesn't matter who it is,

I love that a wuss like you "loathes everything about me," but I'm probably the least insecure person you'll encounter. Do me a favor and please, please tell me you're NOT a native Iowan?!?!

The least insecure. What amazing confidence.

I'm super happy to let you know that I am Iowan, born and bred. I also love that defending the people that you're threatening makes you think I'm a wuss. There's never any coherency to your argument.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12

As has been suggested, seek help. You have very, very serious issues. Hopefully you are never around kids.

I'm super happy to let you know that I am Iowan, born and bred. I also love that defending the people that you're threatening makes you think I'm a wuss. There's never any coherency to your argument.
I'm not arguing anything...I just told you how things would go.

Since no one was hurt, nor anyone harmed due to this blockade of traffic, a simple misdemeanor seems appropriate. However, if a person is harmed due to not receiving medical attention due to a road block, the charge should be upped.

Reactions: globalhawk
Since no one was hurt, nor anyone harmed due to this blockade of traffic, a simple misdemeanor seems appropriate. However, if a person is harmed due to not receiving medical attention due to a road block, the charge should be upped.
There is a hospital emergency room three blocks behind them

It is the law though, much like I despise taxes on property that my income that was taxed pays for.
It seems to clear to me the UIPD view Tara as an agitator. The DI article this afternoon said that they had been on the UIPD radar since a protest about a purchased military vehicle a few years ago. My view is the police are looking for a way to get a thorn out of their side with their new powers under the anti-protesting laws in Iowa.

Can we just have everyone ignore here 4 a day so we can have a normal thread. Every thread devolves to a whole bunch of people feeding an obvious piece of shit troll. It's tedious at best.

Can we just have everyone ignore here 4 a day so we can have a normal thread. Every thread devolves to a whole bunch of people feeding an obvious piece of shit troll. It's tedious at best.
I suppose you want to fight me now, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT