May 20, 2014
Hesse - 46 snaps
A. Nelson - 46 snaps
M. Nelson - 36 snaps
Brincks - 28 snaps
Epenesa - 24 snaps
Golston - 24 snaps
Lattimore - 16 snaps

These snap numbers do not include plays that involved penalties.

I anticipate that had the Hawks seen more snaps - we'd get an opportunity to see Reiff too. Of course, part of the issue there might also be that Reiff is a little undersized ... and I'm not certain how he is against the run (at least in terms of playing assignment football).

Hesse - 46 snaps
A. Nelson - 46 snaps
M. Nelson - 36 snaps
Brincks - 28 snaps
Epenesa - 24 snaps
Golston - 24 snaps
Lattimore - 16 snaps

I anticipate that had the Hawks seen more snaps - we'd get an opportunity to see Reiff too. Of course, part of the issue there might also be that Reiff is a little undersized ... and I'm not certain how he is against the run (at least in terms of playing assignment football).
So we only went 7 deep on the DL. Add Reiff and we have 8. 9th guy would be Linderbomb. Likely all we'll see this year barring injury tho I would like to see Simon on pass rush downs if possible. Kind of a big speedy rush LB.

Wouldn’t mind seeing AJ take a few more of A Nelson’s snaps just to keep him fresh. But I do love a hungry AJ in there late in the game!

Reactions: Harbinger273
Hesse - 46 snaps
A. Nelson - 46 snaps
M. Nelson - 36 snaps
Brincks - 28 snaps
Epenesa - 24 snaps
Golston - 24 snaps
Lattimore - 16 snaps

Why no snaps for Reiff? Still 'in the doghouse' or just behind Brincks, Lattimore & M. Nelson?

IMO, the staff will hold Linderbaum to 4 games or less unless injuries mount at DT. No reason for him to blow his RS with the emergence of Brincks and Gholston's ability to slide inside, if needed.

BTW - how many TR FR played yesterday?

Why no snaps for Reiff? Still 'in the doghouse' or just behind Brincks, Lattimore & M. Nelson?

IMO, the staff will hold Linderbaum to 4 games or less unless injuries mount at DT. No reason for him to blow his RS with the emergence of Brincks and Gholston's ability to slide inside, if needed.

BTW - how many TR FR played yesterday?
I wouldn't read too much into Reiff not seeing the reps. My impression is that it's pretty much like what unoHawkeye was suggesting .... the D was sufficiently dominant that there were simply not enough reps to go around to all the guys we have (who are capable of playing). There were only 56 offensive snaps by ISU (not counting snaps where there was a penalty).

In a "normal" year, given Iowa's bend-but-not-break philosophy ... it's very common for opposing teams to average around 70 snaps on O against the Hawks. In such a case, that allows there to be more snaps to distribute between our guys.

I'm frankly impressed with how many snaps Golston has earned. They're making a concerted effort to get him involved.

Reiff was on the field for the 4th and 1 play at the goal line, but Iowa State was called for a false start so zero snaps.

Here's what Pro Football Focus had for snap counts:

Anthony Nelson 50
Parker Hesse 49
Matt Nelson 38
Sam Brincks 30
AJ Epenesa 25
Chauncey Golston 25
Cedrick Lattimore 17

Their top grades went to Matt Nelson, Epenesa, and Brincks.
Thanks .... for the "official" numbers.

Here's what Pro Football Focus had for snap counts:

Anthony Nelson 50
Parker Hesse 49
Matt Nelson 38
Sam Brincks 30
AJ Epenesa 25
Chauncey Golston 25
Cedrick Lattimore 17

Their top grades went to Matt Nelson, Epenesa, and Brincks.

I am happy everyone on that list is a Hawkeye. I need to eat some crow over Hesse. At the beginning of last year, I didn't think he was very good. He has completely proven me wrong.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
What were the splits for Golston vs ISU? More DE than DT? Maybe more evened out than NIU.

What were the splits for Golston vs ISU? More DE than DT? Maybe more evened out than NIU.
From my count (where I had Golston see 24 snaps), 15 were in the NASCAR package at DT and 9 were explicitly at DE. However, it is worth noting that there were a few snaps where the guys switched around their role in the NASCAR package ... but I wasn't tracking where the guys ultimately ended up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT