ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Former Iowa fullback turned Hawkeye rugby player makes USA Rugby team camp. Starts MLR Final on CBS.

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Colorado Raptors @ Houston SaberCats 11 AM CT on ESPNNEWS

Former CR Xavier football, Hawkeye walk-on, and Hawkeye Rugby player John Ryberg starts on the wing for Colorado. He finished as the try scoring champion of MLR last season and was named All-League. He’ll face former Houston SaberCat wing Deion Mikesell of SE Polk HS. Houston is also coached by former Emmetsburg, UNI, and US National teamer, Paul Emerick.

EDIT: Re-booted season opening schedule. Ryberg now with LA Giltinis. The Rugby Network their free streaming app, or at the TheRugbyNetwork.com ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Wish they could throw more of these matches on a lesser cable network instead of ESPN+ but I get it.
At least they’re on two national networks tomorrow.
San Diego Legion fan and rather glad to see the signing of Ma'a Nonu.
That’s an AWESOME signing. Really interested to see how they do in the title re-match tomorrow. Ranger for Colorado and Basterud for New York are also huge. With Ben Foden also at New York, I am predicting RUNY vs SD Legion in the final.

Colorado Raptors @ Houston SaberCats 11 AM CT on ESPNNEWS

Former CR Xavier football, Hawkeye walk-on, and Hawkeye Rugby player John Ryberg starts on the wing for Colorado. He finished as the try scoring champion of MLR last season and was named All-League. He’ll face former Houston SaberCat wing Deion Mikesell of SE Polk HS. Houston is also coached by former Emmetsburg, UNI, and US National teamer, Paul Emerick.

Other matches to kick off the weekend, including all three new teams in DC, Atlanta, and Boston...

Also Today:

Old Glory DC @ NOLA Gold 3 pm CT ESPN+

Sunday:

Utah Warriors @ Rugby ATL 2 pm CT ESPN+

Rugby United N.Y. vs. New England Free Jacks 3 pm CT ESPN+

Seattle Seawolves @ San Diego Legion 4 pm CT CBS Sports Network

Toronto Arrows @ Austin Gilgronis 7 pm CT FS2
Paul Emerick graduated from Pella and went to Central to play football for a year before going to UNI and playing on their club team. He played overseas for quite a few years as well.

Paul Emerick graduated from Pella and went to Central to play football for a year before going to UNI and playing on their club team. He played overseas for quite a few years as well.

You’re right. He was born in Emmetsburg. Thanks for the correction.

Yes, he played for the powerhouse Newport-Gwent Dragons of Guiness Super 12 league, and scored in the Rugby World Cup against Ireland.

At least they’re on two national networks tomorrow.

That’s an AWESOME signing. Really interested to see how they do in the title re-match tomorrow. Ranger for Colorado and Basterud for New York are also huge. With Ben Foden also at New York, I am predicting RUNY vs SD Legion in the final.
A few, 3-4, of the SD Legion guys played 7s with us (Blemont Shore) last summer. It's really humbling getting absolutely whooped in practice by them, but great having them as teammates.

Yeah that rematch should he a great game! I just hope the league continues to grow and rugby grows. 7s is definitely the best bet for the casual fan to catch on since it's high scoring and fast-paced.

A few, 3-4, of the SD Legion guys played 7s with us (Blemont Shore) last summer. It's really humbling getting absolutely whooped in practice by them, but great having them as teammates.

Yeah that rematch should he a great game! I just hope the league continues to grow and rugby grows. 7s is definitely the best bet for the casual fan to catch on since it's high scoring and fast-paced.

Wow! Second most caps as England captain in history too...

That's awesome! And legend Ma'a Nonu coming over from New Zealand to San Diego as well. Regardless of being older now, they have some real talent.

Have to be favorites next year. They have had the perfect storm with the Chargers leaving town the year before rugby came, and Torero Stadium being such a beautiful rugby venue. I’m guessing they are making the most of any MLR team. Seattle does really well in attendance, but so many more pro teams to spread sponsorships thin. Pulling for Legion next season.

Have to be favorites next year. They have had the perfect storm with the Chargers leaving town the year before rugby came, and Torero Stadium being such a beautiful rugby venue. I’m guessing they are making the most of any MLR team. Seattle does really well in attendance, but so many more pro teams to spread sponsorships thin. Pulling for Legion next season.
LA is getting a new team as well. I plan on going to some games in LA and SD

I came across this today and thought it was interesting. It looks like the Houston team has a pretty nice weight room. I hope the league makes it. I would imagine the pandemic has been a pretty big challenge for all of the non major sports.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
@ThamesHawk @pink shizzle @Mountain Man Hawk

I’m rebranding and rebooting this thread for the new season. The best news is that MLR and Rugby Pass have teamed up to bring all games not on national TV to stream FREE on a new app/site, The Rugby Network. The Ben Foden in New York documentary short from Rugby Pass a couple years back is highly entertaining. Also, every market now has a major regional television deal while Fox Sports 2 will now offer a highlight show every week. Can’t wait!

Side Note: If you haven’t seen the excellent feature length doc on the tumultuous times of the 1980s All Blacks on Amazon Prime, do it! It has a great title too: By the Balls.

Last edited:
The free app is clutch since I'd like to watch San Diego Legion games more this year.

Side question, are you into NRL or rugby league in general? Regular rugby (union) is tough but league has wilder collisions.

The free app is clutch since I'd like to watch San Diego Legion games more this year.

Side question, are you into NRL or rugby league in general? Regular rugby (union) is tough but league has wilder collisions.
NRL used to be all the regular rugby I could get, back on the old PASS Sports Network in Michigan, when I first started playing. So while I have fond memories of it, I rarely see it anymore. You can definitely see how American football evolved from it though. Much more like it than Union is.

NRL used to be all the regular rugby I could get, back on the old PASS Sports Network in Michigan, when I first started playing. So while I have fond memories of it, I rarely see it anymore. You can definitely see how American football evolved from it though. Much more like it than Union is.
I started watching a lot of NRL last year (go Rabbitohs!!!). You're right, I can definitely see the similarities between American football and league.

@ThamesHawk @pink shizzle @Mountain Man Hawk

I’m rebranding and rebooting this thread for the new season. The best news is that MLR and Rugby Pass have teamed up to bring all games not on national TV to stream FREE on a new app/site, The Rugby Network. The Ben Foden in New York documentary short from Rugby Pass a couple years back is highly entertaining. Also, every market now has a major regional television deal while Fox Sports 2 will now offer a highlight show every week. Can’t wait!

Side Note: If you haven’t seen the excellent feature length doc on the tumultuous times of the 1980s All Blacks on Amazon Prime, do it! It has a great title too: By the Balls.
Have you checked out All or Nothing yet?

Have you checked out All or Nothing yet?
Was that the series they followed the All Blacks for a season? If so, then yes. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Okay, I’ll toss it back to you: Have you watched the six part historical documentary series, The Story of Rugby on Amazon Prime yet? It was also absolutely fantastic. Pretty much the best film on a comprehensive history of a sport. At least even with Ken Burns’ Baseball.

Reactions: ThamesHawk
Was that the series they followed the All Blacks for a season? If so, then yes. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Okay, I’ll toss it back to you: Have you watched the six part historical documentary series, The Story of Rugby on Amazon Prime yet? It was also absolutely fantastic. Pretty much the best film on a comprehensive history of a sport. At least even with Ken Burns’ Baseball.
Yup that was the one. Haven’t seen that one yet but I watchlisted it.

BOOM! First of the season for the Ryberg now makes the former Hawkeye tied for the four year old league’s top all-time try scorer!

Neutral site due to Toronto Covid restrictions. Game is free right now on www.therugbynetwork.com.

Last edited:

Yup that was the one. Haven’t seen that one yet but I watchlisted it.

@Mountain Man Hawk

BOOM! Game changer boys. The best exclusively rugby channel I’ve ever seen, and now...

Awesome. I hope it keeps growing and does well. It would be nice to see more young kids growing up with rugby. Youth teams start around the age of 7-11 (touch) here in SoCal but I'm sure it's not as big in other parts of the US.

It would also be nice seeing the US team actually look competitive on the world stage (I'm talking about 15s, in 7s they can hang and beat any country on any given day).

On Fox Sports 2 tonight, from the first ever game at SoFi Stadium, after our Hawkeye got a nice little feature story...

Fastest try in league history, scored a couple weeks ago...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT