ADVERTISEMENT

US Open just became a lot more important

jrod65

HR All-American
Jan 21, 2019
New selection procedures are released:

Like before, any 2022 World medalist gets a spot in Final X and the list is long this time.

Gilman, Yianni, Zain, Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Cox, and Snyder are already into Final X, if they want it.

The Open is now the most important tournament for most of the weights as winning it sends the champ straight to Final X as well. For the weights that have a World medalists, winning the Open is the only option to make Final X.

The challenge tournament is now only used for those weights where there is no World medalist. We could see as few as 2 weights(61, 125) at the last chance qualifier.

For the visual learners:

Final X:

57 Gilman vs Open champ
61 Open champ vs last chance champ
65 Yianni vs open champ
70 Zain vs open champ
74 Dake vs open champ
79 Burroughs vs open champ
86 DT vs open champ
92 Cox vs Open champ
97 Snyder vs open champ
125 open champ vs last chance champ

Who we looking for from HWC to be at Senior US Open? I’d expect to see Lee, DeSanto and Lugo for sure. Like to see Young and Marinelli. It will be about a year for Eierman’s ACL repair. Do we see Warner and Cass? Maybe Chittum? I could see Chittum going but maybe just do age level with some of the other younger guys in the room.

I personally like it. The Open means a lot more now. All of the contenders will need to enter, instead of some sitting out until the last chance qualifier. Should make for some monster brackets.
Maybe your right, I think everyone should have to compete in the open. Getting a bye to finals just does not seem right.

Reactions: KYHWKY
Maybe your right, I think everyone should have to compete in the open. Getting a bye to finals just does not seem right.
1) you're*
2) Everyone in final x was top 4 in the world last year
3) this system has proven effect for the greatest stretch in american wrestling history

but you're probably right b/c you're the best member bwi ever had (whatever that means)

• Haha
Reactions: honkey69
1) you're*
3) this system has proven effect for the greatest stretch in american wrestling history

but you're probably right b/c you're the best member bwi ever had (whatever that means)
Now why do you have to come on here and poke the bear? Do you have a hankering to become shark bait?

1) you're*

1) Seriously, you are correcting my grammar.
2) Yes I know that you little putz
3) Effective*** and yes it's good. We are still # 2 in the world most of the time so improvement can be made. They have to wrestle through a "Tournament" to win Medals" winning the spot to represent the USA should be no different.

BWI is the psu board you little pile of dung, and I was the best member they ever had!

1) you're*

3) Effective*** and yes it's good. We are still # 2 in the world most of the time so improvement can be made. They have to wrestle through a "Tournament" to win Medals" winning the spot to represent the USA should be no different.

BWI is the psu board you little pile of dung, and I was the best member they ever had!
I gotta (yes I know, it's "have to") go with Grip on this one. They don't get to sit at Worlds and wait. They also don't get the luxury of 2 out of 3. They have to win matches against lesser opponents gunning for them, and can't afford to coast or have a bad match along the way, I realize they're not the same day(s) anymore, but why should a guy that fought through the tournament and got beat up along the way have to take on someone fresh, and then beat him twice? I do agree with the 2 of 3 for the finals though. It does help make sure the better guy wins, which I know contradicts some of what I just said. I've never liked the top man sitting thing way before Final X came around.

Some people will say that part of Iowa's problems at the NCAA Tournament is we don't get enough multi-day weigh-ins during the season. A lot of people think we should go to CKLV or Reno or something similar. Since the NWCA National Duals original format died out, there are no major tournaments after the first week in January. And, although I enjoyed the Soldier Salute this year, until it gets bigger (and I'm pretty sure it will) we now have no big tournaments at all in the schedule by skipping out on Midlands. I personally don't think that has been our biggest problem at NCAAs, but many do.

BTW, I learned a long time ago that trying to be the grammar/spelling police on message boards is a fruitless endeavor.

Last edited:

3) The US SHOULD be different. Winning medals is the goal. Period. And we have a duty to send our best representative. Not just the best representative that showed up that day. I do get what you're saying about the Russians having a tournament to determine the spot - we're not the russians and I want very little comparison to them and what they do.

Sure we're #2, but this system is the only way we're going to pass them (outside of government intervention/dollars where wrestlers can go to wrestling "school" from the age of 8). We've only recently become #2 and outside of a stretch in the 90s - We've never been that consistently. And protecting medalists is a HUGE portion of that. I'm pretty sure it was Zeke's #1 priority in terms of change (followed by RTCs, mandatory time at the OTC and actually making it TEAM USA)

There is a certain beauty to a one-off tournament being the final decider - but the athletes will tell you themselves that Final X will truly do the best job of sending the best rep.

3) The US SHOULD be different. Winning medals is the goal. Period. And we have a duty to send our best representative. Not just the best representative that showed up that day. I do get what you're saying about the Russians having a tournament to determine the spot - we're not the russians and I want very little comparison to them and what they do.

Sure we're #2, but this system is the only way we're going to pass them (outside of government intervention/dollars where wrestlers can go to wrestling "school" from the age of 8). We've only recently become #2 and outside of a stretch in the 90s - We've never been that consistently. And protecting medalists is a HUGE portion of that. I'm pretty sure it was Zeke's #1 priority in terms of change (followed by RTCs, mandatory time at the OTC and actually making it TEAM USA)

There is a certain beauty to a one-off tournament being the final decider - but the athletes will tell you themselves that Final X will truly do the best job of sending the best rep.
I understand, I just dont agree. Maybe it is better for our elder statesmen that continue to be our best, but I believe giving a wrestler that takes a bronze in the previous years worlds that did not include a good portion of the worlds best wrestlers may not be our best representative in the following year.
Maybe world finalist’s should just be giving a bye to the semis of the US open. I also think its takes from the US fan base to not have these guys wrestle more than one match on US soil to make worlds.

I understand, I just dont agree. Maybe it is better for our elder statesmen that continue to be our best, but I believe giving a wrestler that takes a bronze in the previous years worlds that did not include a good portion of the worlds best wrestlers may not be our best representative in the following year.
Maybe world finalist’s should just be giving a bye to the semis of the US open. I also think its takes from the US fan base to not have these guys wrestle more than one match on US soil to make worlds.
you're right. and look what happened to Fix. World silver to not making the team. So it definitely does weed guys out.

US "fans" ??? - What did Tom say? There were 3,000 fans at WORLDS? At least Final X is a true draw for fans - as its a much better product with WAY better packaging.

you're right. and look what happened to Fix. World silver to not making the team. So it definitely does weed guys out.

US "fans" ??? - What did Tom say? There were 3,000 fans at WORLDS? At least Final X is a true draw for fans - as its a much better product with WAY better packaging.
Not enough wrestlers is whats wrong with it.

US "fans" ??? - What did Tom say? There were 3,000 fans at WORLDS

i believe he said that was at the US open in Vegas. Which i would agree with, the times ive went it wasnt well attended. that being said, none of the freestyle events ive been to have had huge crowds, including the events held in iowa,

i disagree with his reasoning for the attendance difference. there are a large number of people that attend college dual meets that are just there to cheer for the university name to win and know nothing about the individual match ups.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT