ADVERTISEMENT

Used 4X4 Recommendations

SoProudNole

HB Legend
Jan 19, 2004
Looking to trade in the oldest car we have. Given the trend in storms and flooding in FL, looking for a reliable 4X4 to make sure we can get around when needed.

Anyone have recommendations for reliability? Best make, year, etc? Looking for something 2018 or later.

Looking to trade in the oldest car we have. Given the trend in storms and flooding in FL, looking for a reliable 4X4 to make sure we can get around when needed.

Anyone have recommendations for reliability? Best make, year, etc? Looking for something 2018 or later.
Like an actual vehicle that can drive through deep standing water, or something with 4wd/awd?

So willing to be educated here. Looking for something to get through some standing water and over/around difficult areas to get to the in-laws place when needed. They live out in the country. Without getting stuck in a ditch or field. Basically want something that we can get around in after a storm but will also be a daily driver.

don't have one but i've always liked the fjcruiser...that thing looks beautiful and tough. no matter which year they seem to hold up, never seen a beat up looking fj

Reactions: BelemNole
Not sure what the year on this is but it appears to be fit your criteria.

jeep-driving-on-water.gif

So willing to be educated here. Looking for something to get through some standing water and over/around difficult areas to get to the in-laws place when needed. They live out in the country. Without getting stuck in a ditch or field. Basically want something that we can get around in after a storm but will also be a daily driver.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Thanks. I've seen your history with them. Any other models you'd be comfortable with besides the Wrangler?

I see lots of Cerokees, Renegades, etc.
Bro, jeeps are fun as shit, and you can power to weight ratio the shit out of them to make them do some hellacious stuff. ( Wranglers) but the idea a jeep is "reliable" is just not appropriate.

If you want to look cool. Buy a jeep.

If you want the ****ing thing to work, buy a Toyota.

Or, buy a jeep and put a shit ton of money building something "reliable". *but you are going to end up with a Chevy motor powering a Ford rear end running through entirely aftermarket wires in your "jeep".

Reactions: Colonoscopy
don't have one but i've always liked the fjcruiser...that thing looks beautiful and tough. no matter which year they seem to hold up, never seen a beat up looking fj
Expensive to get right now. I keep getting offers on mine for nearly what I paid for it and it’s almost 15 years old.

Reactions: desihawk
Thanks. I've seen your history with them. Any other models you'd be comfortable with besides the Wrangler?

I see lots of Cerokees, Renegades, etc.
Older Cherokees with the 4.0 in-line six are work horses--200k miles easy. Avoid the Renegade and the Grand Cherokee (especially anything pre-2015). My 2016 Wrangler has had one mechanical issue in 8 years; oil cooler. Now, I do only have 70k on it, so we'll see if I get the infamous rocker bearing issue. Time will tell.

Best two engines you'll find in the Jeep were the 258 and 242 in-line 6s. Great engines!

Older Cherokees with the 4.0 in-line six are work horses--200k miles easy. Avoid the Renegade and the Grand Cherokee (especially anything pre-2015). My 2016 Wrangler has had one mechanical issue in 8 years; oil cooler. Now, I do only have 70k on it, so we'll see if I get the infamous rocker bearing issue. Time will tell.

Best two engines you'll find in the Jeep were the 258 and 242 in-line 6s. Great engines!

What years would that include?

What years would that include?
You're going to have to go OLD SCHOOL, and I know you don't want to do that.

1998 Cherokee Sport w/ 4.0L engine

1998_jeep_cherokee-sport_fd779945-8295-48fe-bc2d-bdc63f781646-47194.jpeg

2006 Jeep TJ w/ 4.0L (this is what my son wants)

395_main_l.jpg

That said, I've read the 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 for the Grand Cherokee is pretty good. I think they stopped making it in 2021. I have a friend with a 2015 and hasn't had a single issue with it...unlike my damn 2014 Grand Cherokee. Another thing to note it's not the 3.6L engine itself (it's in so many Chrysler vehicles); it's specific years where Chrysler cut corners on parts; e.g., thermostat, plastic oil cooler, rocker bearings, etc. After a few class-action lawsuits, I think they've worked the kinks out.

There are plenty of reliable 4x4s out there as well as AWD vehicles. If all you want is a reliable 4x4, then I'd focus on a Toyota Tacoma or 4-Runner. Do your homework and find the most reliable year.

I meant to mention the Subaru line; forester or outback.

2020 Forester

2020-forester-945x302.jpg

AWD Capability​

• Subaru Forester: The Forester’s AWD system provides excellent traction and stability on various surfaces, including snow, rain, and off-road conditions. It uses Subaru's Symmetrical AWD, which offers balanced power distribution and enhanced handling. The Forester’s ground clearance and approach/departure angles are also beneficial for light off-roading.
  • Subaru Outback: Similar to the Forester, the Outback features Subaru's Symmetrical AWD system. It’s designed to handle diverse driving conditions, including challenging weather and off-road terrains. The Outback has slightly more ground clearance than the Forester, making it better suited for off-road adventures.

Reactions: SoProudNole
jeep: wrangler only, not the others.

If you want clearance, ability to get unstuck, potentially go standing water. I'd go with a wrangler. Plus they are just fun to own.
I would not say their engines are what toyotas are but for what you get and the price difference, it's a wash.

For most bang for buck, I’d look at a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. Subtle factory lift gives a bit more clearance and rivals Tacoma for reliability without having to pay the Toyota tax.

Same goes for Titan vs Tundra if you’re looking into full size truck.

Reactions: SoProudNole
For most bang for buck, I’d look at a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. Subtle factory lift gives a bit more clearance and rivals Tacoma for reliability without having to pay the Toyota tax.

Same goes for Titan vs Tundra if you’re looking into full size truck.
So long as you are out of warranty and don't expect the company to help in any way. At all.

I don't think they make that anymore and used inventory I think is fairly small. Same thing with the Nissan xterra.
You could be right. One of my pickle ball buddies found a used one a couple of years ago down in Arizona and was elated with the find but dumped it last year for an electric bike. Speaking of PB I’ll be at PennMeadows in North Liberty at 4:30 today if you’re willing to give it a try. I’ve only got a couple months then shoulder surgery. You can work on your game all winter after you pick up the basics. The competitive juices will flow guaranteed…

Reactions: GOHOX69
You could be right. One of my pickle ball buddies found a used one a couple of years ago down in Arizona and was elated with the find but dumped it last year for an electric bike. Speaking of PB I’ll be at PennMeadows in North Liberty at 4:30 today if you’re willing to give it a try. I’ve only got a couple months then shoulder surgery. You can work on your game all winter after you pick up the basics. The competitive juices will flow guaranteed…
I'll be in tiffin at my job but will meet you before your surgery.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
If you're a lesbian and don't actually have to go through any water, buy the Subaru. For all other scenarios, buy a Toyota. I like 4runners.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT