ADVERTISEMENT

USL

BioHawk

HR Legend
Sep 21, 2005
This is the new professional soccer league that seems to be in development. The US Soccer League? United Soccer League? Whatever it stands for.

Anyway, what are the reasons for starting a second league in this country? We can barely support one professional soccer league. Are there a lot of people unhappy with the way it is managed? Is MLS going bankrupt? I just don't see how there is room for another league and I'm wondering how this one is supposed to be more successful where others have not.

The USL has been around since 2011 and there's plenty of support/ demand for soccer in this country. There's even a profession women's league that is expanding

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
This is the new professional soccer league that seems to be in development. The US Soccer League? United Soccer League? Whatever it stands for.

Anyway, what are the reasons for starting a second league in this country? We can barely support one professional soccer league. Are there a lot of people unhappy with the way it is managed? Is MLS going bankrupt? I just don't see how there is room for another league and I'm wondering how this one is supposed to be more successful where others have not.

I thought the USL has been around for several years now?

The USL has been around since 2011 and there's plenty of support/ demand for soccer in this country. There's even a profession women's league that is expanding

And many USL franchises have been "promoted" into MLS because they've been so successful, including the most recent champion, Seattle Sounders. Others have been FC Cincinnati, Portland Timbers, Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecapes, Minnesota United FC, San Jose Earthquakes (despite ownership/identity changes) and soon Nashville SC and Sacramento Republic...Most of those teams on the west coast were in the old NASL, then the WSA, and then USL before coming to MLS. I'd say the USL is doing alright. Des Moines is a great fit, the Des Moines Menace having been maybe THE most successful amateur league team in the US on the field and at the gates.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Des Moines could be successful. All they have to do is undercut the Iowa Cubs insane concession and beer prices and they will draw.

I'm pretty sure the USL Championship is the largest league in the world with around 36 clubs and MLS is probably number 2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT