ADVERTISEMENT

Utah has two 7 footers

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

There are a lot of 7ft'ers on NCAA teams these days. If you want to win in tournaments, I think you need to build a roster that can matchup with all the different small ball and big ball teams you might meet. Iowa does have 7ft Riley Mulvey, but what are the chances Fran would even play him? IF all Riley does is help post defense/but ruins the flow of Fran's offense I think Fran would choose Krikke. We won't know this year because Fran redshirted Riley. It's good to have 7ft'ers on the roster but if they aren't good enough to play, it doesn't makes sense investing 4 scholarship years and a RS year on a guy you have no intention of playing.

Freeman has had trouble with the athletic 7f'ers like Indiana's Kelell Ware but he did okay vs soft 7ft'er like Wisconsin's big man Crowl. Hopefully Iowa wins.

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10
There are a lot of 7ft'ers on NCAA teams these days. If you want to win in tournaments, I think you need to build a roster that can matchup with all the different small ball and big ball teams you might meet. Iowa does have 7ft Riley Mulvey, but what are the chances Fran would even play him? IF all Riley does is help post defense/but ruins the flow of Fran's offense I think Fran would choose Krikke. We won't know this year because Fran redshirted Riley. It's good to have 7ft'ers on the roster but if they aren't good enough to play, it doesn't makes sense investing 4 scholarship years and a RS year on a guy you have no intention of playing.

Freeman has had trouble with the athletic 7f'ers like Indiana's Kelell Ware but he did okay vs soft 7ft'er like Wisconsin's big man Crowl. Hopefully Iowa wins.
Your premise that Fran has no intensions of playing Riley is a little premature. Let's wait until the start of next year, before we throw both Fran and Riley under the bus for sayings Mulvey isn't good enough to play.
Riley stills has 2 years of eligibility left after this year and if he turns out that he helps Iowa get to the sweet 16 for the first time along side Owen Freeman you may indeed have to eat your words.
And conversely, if it turns out that Riley is indeed a bust, then I was wrong and I'm the one that has egg on my face, but the best thing about that is, it washes off quite easily. Have a nice day! Go Hawks, both woman's team today, and men's team, tomorrow.

Reactions: hawkguy77
Jacksonville State also had 2 7 footers, and we know how that turned out for the Hawks.
I don't know if Iowa has ever played Jacksonville State.

Iowa did play Jacksonville University (Florida) back in 1970 and lost to Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows III, the fellas I think you're talking about.

The relevance, though, escapes me.

Reactions: amahawk
Your premise that Fran has no intensions of playing Riley is a little premature. Let's wait until the start of next year, before we throw both Fran and Riley under the bus for sayings Mulvey isn't good enough to play.
Riley stills has 2 years of eligibility left after this year and if he turns out that he helps Iowa get to the sweet 16 for the first time along side Owen Freeman you may indeed have to eat your words.
And conversely, if it turns out that Riley is indeed a bust, then I was wrong and I'm the one that has egg on my face, but the best thing about that is, it washes off quite easily. Have a nice day! Go Hawks, both woman's team today, and men's team, tomorrow.
you're gonna have a lot of eggs... lol

you're gonna have a lot of eggs... lol

If I do, as you say have a lot of egg on my face at the start of next year, I guess that's on me, I'll still stand by my conviction that Riley will be a valued player on next years team.
As I've said before, I don't think Fran redshirted him so he can continue to keep warm the last seat on the bench. We'll see!
Heck, Fran may or may not even be the head coach at Iowa next year....heck, at 75, I might not be around next year.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: LukaDuka

He would never play him. The opportunities have been there before and he sits.

Foul them with brauns and dembele
I agree. Pound them down low with Dembele, rotate Brauns on for some minutes and fouls, keep Owen out of foul trouble. Wear them down would be the goal.

We'll need to be careful with Carlson, their leading scorer; he's a 71% FT shooter. Plays about 30 minutes and looks like he stays out of foul trouble. Lovering, the second 7 footer, but still plays 20 minutes a game; is only shooting 52% FT shooter. He's the guy to target putting on the line.

I like our chances even though it's on the road. A crowd of ~3,000 at UT is nothing compared to playing in the hostile environments of the B1G.

If I do, as you say have a lot of egg on my face at the start of next year, I guess that's on me, I'll still stand by my conviction that Riley will be a valued player on next years team.
As I've said before, I don't think Fran redshirted him so he can continue to keep warm the last seat on the bench. We'll see!
Heck, Fran may or may not even be the head coach at Iowa next year....heck, at 75, I might not be around next year.:(
please stay healthy my friend, I want to continue this saga into next season! 😎

IF I am wrong, I'll take my eggs scrambled with a little hot sauce....

If Mulvey will or cannot see significant playing time next season, he should move on.

Reactions: shanksit44
I don't know if Iowa has ever played Jacksonville State.

Iowa did play Jacksonville University (Florida) back in 1970 and lost to Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows III, the fellas I think you're talking about.

The relevance, though, escapes me.
Sorry, I mistyped. I know that is a major no-no and I should be publicly ridiculed and scorned. I corrected my error and humbly beg for forgiveness.

As for relevance....there is none. It was a joke.

Old school game back in 1970. Iowa lost by one point in sweet 16. I wasn't born until 1973...but I remember hearing about that game growing up.
Sure. Jacksonville State had this dude named Artis Gilmore. You've heard of him right? Hall of Famer....

Reactions: rfgiowa
If Fran has no plans on playing him he should be talking to him right now & telling him to transfer. Makes room for another portal player & gives Riley a chance to play elsewhere.
I'm hoping that is not the case, but if you're correct with your assumption, I agree with you. Taking a scholarship away from someone that could help Iowa compete for a Big Ten Championship and possibly playing deep in the NCAA tournament would be a travesty, but when has Fran paid more attention to winning more then throwing a player under the bus?
Creaning a player from the roster is not a part of Fran's philosophy, just saying.

I'm hoping that is not the case, but if you're correct with your assumption, I agree with you. Taking a scholarship away from someone that could help Iowa compete for a Big Ten Championship and possibly playing deep in the NCAA tournament would be a travesty, but when has Fran paid more attention to winning more then throwing a player under the bus?
Creaning a player from the roster is not a part of Fran's philosophy, just saying.
What have you seen that indicates anything like this is realistic ...for the individual or the team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT