ADVERTISEMENT

Utah has two 7 footers

What have you seen that indicates anything like this is realistic ...for the individual or the team?
I might have worded it wrong, I meant that if Fran has no intention of ever playing Riley, allowing him to retain a scholarship is a travesty.
Sorry for the confusion.

I might have worded it wrong, I meant that if Fran has no intention of ever playing Riley, allowing him to retain a scholarship is a travesty.
Sorry for the confusion.
IF Fran has no plans for Riley he should've had this discussion last year & not let him waste a redshirt year at Iowa. He could be on another team & developing/competing for playing time.

Maybe, & it's a big MAYBE you're correct & Fran thinks he can help next year. Why else would he have him redshirt...

IF Fran has no plans for Riley he should've had this discussion last year & not let him waste a redshirt year at Iowa. He could be on another team & developing/competing for playing time.

Maybe, & it's a big MAYBE you're correct & Fran thinks he can help next year. Why else would he have him redshirt...
That's my thought, but who knows what Fran is thinking, when a coach confesses that he coaches by GUT FEELING and not by NORMAL coaching methods. Heck, we all complain about his player rotations, enough said...

Your premise that Fran has no intensions of playing Riley is a little premature. Let's wait until the start of next year, before we throw both Fran and Riley under the bus for sayings Mulvey isn't good enough to play.
Riley stills has 2 years of eligibility left after this year and if he turns out that he helps Iowa get to the sweet 16 for the first time along side Owen Freeman you may indeed have to eat your words.
And conversely, if it turns out that Riley is indeed a bust, then I was wrong and I'm the one that has egg on my face, but the best thing about that is, it washes off quite easily. Have a nice day! Go Hawks, both woman's team today, and men's team, tomorrow.
For the love of Hod man give it up on Mulvey!

Reactions: RocknRollface
For the love of Hod man give it up on Mulvey!
I will if he comes out next year and is a bust, if not, I would like all of you to come out and say you were wrong about him.
If he come out and makes an impact at the start of the season, it's no different then Fran going out and getting a player from the juco ranks. Agreed!

He would never play him. The opportunities have been there before and he sits.
Wrong again, Fran did play him occasionally, the home game against Michigan, he played 8 minutes and held his own against Hunter Dickinson and was one of the reasons Iowa won that game.
Unfortunately he had Connor, Patrick, Rebraca, and the Murray brothers playing in front of him, but continue on with your hate for the young man.

Reactions: perryhawk
Wrong again, Fran did play him occasionally, the home game against Michigan, he played 8 minutes and held his own against Hunter Dickinson and was one of the reasons Iowa won that game.
Unfortunately he had Connor, Patrick, Rebraca, and the Murray brothers playing in front of him, but continue on with your hate for the young man.
And now 4 new players are ahead of him, two of whom are freshman.

Reactions: LukaDuka
100%……he definitely showed a snap shot of what he is capable of in that game. On one play he just out ran Dickerson down the court and scored at a crucial point in a hotly contested game….made other plays as well! Now, does he return next year? If so, can he perform consistently at a high enough level to contribute?

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Chill out Skippy. No hate here.

Been a proponent for more PT for the past few years. Especially considering the workload Rebraca had and Frans reluctance to get him or Josh some minutes instead of moving Kris into D-ing up the other teams Bigs, risking picking up fouls he, nor the team could afford.

Explain to me why with this 8 minutes of quality play against Hunter and Josh’s play against Edey in the BIG Tournament neither one were called on to give Rebraca a breather throughout the season? Even for a few minutes other than the mop up duty at the end of the game. Hell, Fran was hardly putting him in towards the end of last year.

50 minutes the entire year.

Last edited:
You're right. Fran would never play him . . . this year . . . because Mulvey is redshirting.
No shit.

He may as well have been the year before considering his PT was a whopping 50 minutes all year.

Is Fran an idiot for giving him the scholly in the first place, or an idiot for not developing and using the 7 footer he gave a scholly to?

Rhetorical question.

Last edited:
I don't know if Iowa has ever played Jacksonville State.

Iowa did play Jacksonville University (Florida) back in 1970 and lost to Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows III, the fellas I think you're talking about.

The relevance, though, escapes me.
Do none of you understand sarcasm?

No one is old enough apparently to remember the 1970 loss to Jacksonville, so I will refresh everyone's memory!
We took the lead with just a few seconds left. They brought the ball in and I think went quickly down court but time was running out. They got a long shot attempt off. And good ole Pembrook(sp?) was just standing right in front of the rim. Ball drops straight into his hands and he puts it back in as time ran out. We had at least one guy near the rim if my memory is correct, but noooo, the ball drops right to Pembrook. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I remember it like yesterday. Jacksonville went to finals to face UCLA. Lost by 11. I always thought we matched up better than Jacksonville and could have given UCLA a better game.

No one is old enough apparently to remember the 1970 loss to Jacksonville, so I will refresh everyone's memory!
We took the lead with just a few seconds left. They brought the ball in and I think went quickly down court but time was running out. They got a long shot attempt off. And good ole Pembrook(sp?) was just standing right in front of the rim. Ball drops straight into his hands and he puts it back in as time ran out. We had at least one guy near the rim if my memory is correct, but noooo, the ball drops right to Pembrook. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I remember it like yesterday. Jacksonville went to finals to face UCLA. Lost by 11. I always thought we matched up better than Jacksonville and could have given UCLA a better game.

Artis Gilmore was tall!

PBA-009539.jpg

Ralph Miller said later that “some where from where the Jacksonville player shot the ball and the backboard, the good Lord reached down and deflated the ball…” hence explaining that very wierd bounce off the backboard. As my father used to tell me…” why be an Iowa fan? They are just gonna break your heart.”

100%……he definitely showed a snap shot of what he is capable of in that game. On one play he just out ran Dickerson down the court and scored at a crucial point in a hotly contested game….made other plays as well! Now, does he return next year? If so, can he perform consistently at a high enough level to contribute?
Why would he not return next year? You don't except a redshirt year if you're not happy where you're at. I expect him to contribute quite a bit next year, but then again, that is the thousand dollar question!

Chill out Skippy. No hate here.

Been a proponent for more PT for the past few years. Especially considering the workload Rebraca had and Frans reluctance to get him or Josh some minutes instead of moving Kris into D-ing up the other teams Bigs, risking picking up fouls he, nor the team could afford.

Explain to me why with this 8 minutes of quality play against Hunter and Josh’s play against Edey in the BIG Tournament neither one were called on to give Rebraca a breather throughout the season? Even for a few minutes other than the mop up duty at the end of the game. Hell, Fran was hardly putting him in towards the end of last year.

50 minutes the entire year.
Because Rebraca was promised by Fran, all the minutes he could handle to come to Iowa and play. If Fran would have played Mulvey more and had outplayed Rebraca, Rebraca may not have gotten as many minutes as it turned out. That's my opinion, but have no other reason, when Mulvey did get minutes he never failed to make a contribution. Patrick, Connor, and the Murray bothers all played along the front line during Mulvey's first 2 years and maybe Fran wanted Riley to get stronger before he played him heavy minutes. It was reported during Riley's first year that he didn't take practices or conditioning seriously and that may have set Mulvey back, but Riley has talent, he just needs playing time to bring it out. We'll see if that is true come next November. No more excuses...

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Why would he not return next year? You don't except a redshirt year if you're not happy where you're at. I expect him to contribute quite a bit next year, but then again, that is the thousand dollar question!
I have no idea if he will be back or not…..your assumption is probably correct. One scenario where he transfers is he wants to finish his degree at Iowa (redshirt year) and then go play at a lower level for his last year? Either way I would think that either he or Evan Braun could at least play some backup minutes in the post just to be a defensive presence and rebound, then set some picks on the offensive end at this point in their careers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT