ADVERTISEMENT

Vacation Advice from the HROT'ers

We're taking a driving trip from DSM area to the black hills/Rapid City area at the end of the month. Wife (no pics), 10 and 8 yr old. So far, this is the list of things we came up with...looking for other recommendations of must do's vs. avoids. Staying 5 days in Rapid City.

Mount rushmore
Bad lands
Crazy Horse
Wall drug
Devils tower
Custer state park
white prairie dog town
Evans plunge mineral springs
Deadwood
Wooden bigfoot (keystone)
Fort Hays Chuckwagon Supper Club
Rush Mountain Adventure Park
As you drive up into the hills, you could hit Reptile Gardens and Bear Country - easily can both be done in one morning and they are not far from each other on the way from Rapid City to Rushmore. Go to Wind Cave also. We basically did most of what you have on your list and I would say Crazy Horse was the biggest waste of time.

There is zip lining near Mt Rushmore and go carts so the kids will like that. Recommend hiking to the top of Harney’s Peak (Black Elk Peak) and hitting a cave tour along the way if it’s really hot out. I think we did that near Bear Country so lots to do in a relaxed atmosphere. Rapid City downtown area is pretty cool to check out and hit if there are things going on during the week. Enjoy.

Wait, wait, wait...how has nobody mention the Corn Palace in Mitchell?!?
Good point, it's well worth pulling off the interstate. Don't just take a picture outside, go inside and check out the history and the artwork inside.
@LutherAce

There are 4-5 families I know heading the the Black hills this month. All asking for advise. There is not much I have not seen there.
thoughts on the Fort Hays Chuck Wagon meal? figured it would be hokey like the one in Co. Springs, but something the kids have never done

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT