ADVERTISEMENT

Valparaiso University students protest plan to sell three paintings, including a Georgia O’Keeffe

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
For about 20 Valparaiso University students who hand-delivered letters to the office of University President Jose Padilla Wednesday afternoon, the university’s plan to sell three paintings from the campus art museum, including a Georgia O’Keeffe, to raise money to renovate freshman housing is the last straw in a slow erosion of the arts at VU.

Junior theater major Trey Erny, one of six theater majors grandfathered in after the school dropped the major for new students, said the university now has to put on student-led theater after their professor was let go. He said a dance professor has also been eliminated.

“When you sell three one-of-a-kind pieces of art, it kind of takes it to a new level,” Erny said.

The students trekked from the university’s Center for the Arts to Padilla’s office across campus at Heritage Hall, the oldest building on campus, which was also recently renovated. Sources have told The Post-Tribune three paintings are slated for sale: “Rust Red Hills” by O’Keeffe, “Mountain Landscape” by Frederick E. Church, and “The Silver Vale and the Golden Gate” by Childe Hassam. Padilla’s assistant collected the letters and said he was in meetings.

An email from Padilla to students sent Feb. 8 stated that the university has a five-year plan to change and grow the university, which has seen its enrollment drop by nearly 1,500 students since the fall of 2015 when it hit its peak of 4,544 students. In addition, the university has experienced a 17% reduction in full-time faculty and staff positions, or 135 positions in total.

The board and administration are prepared to consider assets and resources that are not core or critical to the educational mission or strategic plan to achieve these goals, he wrote.

“One priority initiative is to improve first-year residence halls and create a first-year, residential complex that is on par with our upperclassmen residence halls and includes the amenities that the current generation of prospective students expect,” the letter states.

“This is crucial for both attracting and retaining students, as well as increasing the tuition revenue and strengthening our support of our students, faculty and staff. Currently, our first-year residence halls do not reflect the importance we place on the residential learning experience and do not meet the expectations of our incoming students or their families. In order to attract, retain, and meet the expectations of the current generation of incoming students, it is imperative that we provide a residential experience that is commensurate with those of our peers and aspirational peer institutions. Our plans for a new first-year residential complex will provide the amenities and features that prospective students value and expect,” the letter goes on.

The university handbook typically requires five days notice for protests, so the effort was a chance to make their voices heard.

“It starts to feel like art students are kind of an advertisement, rather than a value,” added sophomore music education major Victoria Tiller, who was walking with Erny to deliver her own letter, explaining that the O’Keeffe and the Center for the Arts it’s housed in are a big part of campus tours.

Senior theater major Miranda Hernandez said she gave up her job as campus tour guide last fall when the theater professor was let go. She said she wrote in her letter that “if I had kept that job, I would have quit now.”

Freshman creative writing major Tabitha Porter wrote, “a lot about how the arts have been declining and how it is an outrage that you’re going to sell these works of art that are so influential to us just to renovate a building.”

Freshman global studies major Joseph D’Acquisto said the majority of the student body he’s spoken with don’t think the renovations are necessary.

“He’s trying to argue that better residential halls are going to bring in more students,” D’Acquisto said. “We’ve had so much discontinued from us that we’re all just sick of it.”

“We’re becoming a tech school,” Porter said.

“So much for the arts,” Hernandez chimed in.

Wow I had no idea about this and that's my alma mater.

To be honest though the freshman residence halls do need improving, that much was obvious even when I was there and that was 20 years ago.

Tough decision to sell valuable artwork to do it. I'm sort of curious why they can't raise the funds else where though. They have been on a building spree building at least one new academic building, building a new library, a new residence hall and a new union and managed to fund that through donations.

Seems prudent to me. The future of the university and the solidifying of finances seems at stake. The university will still be able to carry out its mission without the art, and it won’t do the art any good to be liquidated in a bankruptcy sale.

I'm not sure what their financial situation is but I never got the impression that it was in a precarious position.

I think this is mostly about if they raise the funds for renovations or not which I agree I think likely need to be done just based on what they were like 20 years ago. The biggest thing for me was that the freshman dorms didn't have any AC.

If they are having trouble with enrollment I would be more concerned about the high tuition costs than anything. The cost of tuition there has more than doubled since I went there and it's likely that even previous graduates of the university who loved it are thinking that is where they would want their kids to go.

I don't think Valpo's endowment fund has increased that much in the last 20 years either.

I had 5 cousins who graduated from Valparaiso University.
One became an engineer at General Motors and another
became an insurance executive with All-State. The other
3 cousins were women, two became teachers and one
became a registered nurse.

Valpo is a private Christian university who had a reputation
of placing 90% of their graduates in their first job position.
Fund raising has become a means of keeping your doors open
in an extremely competitive market for new students.

Reactions: billanole
I'm not sure what their financial situation is but I never got the impression that it was in a precarious position.

I think this is mostly about if they raise the funds for renovations or not which I agree I think likely need to be done just based on what they were like 20 years ago. The biggest thing for me was that the freshman dorms didn't have any AC.

If they are having trouble with enrollment I would be more concerned about the high tuition costs than anything. The cost of tuition there has more than doubled since I went there and it's likely that even previous graduates of the university who loved it are thinking that is where they would want their kids to go.

I don't think Valpo's endowment fund has increased that much in the last 20 years either.
From the little bit of reading I’ve done they have just completed an endowment drive to stabilize that part of their financing and have been cutting expenses through the closing of the law school and reduction in majors and faculty. This seems like another step in solidifying their finances during a time when many schools of that size teeter precariously on post pandemic viability.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I think we need less 4 year institutions.

Numbers seem to be dropping. Online classes. Population is getting dumber and some currently in college likely have no business being there.

I suspect some 4 year institutions are “farming” students.

Wow I had no idea about this and that's my alma mater.

To be honest though the freshman residence halls do need improving, that much was obvious even when I was there and that was 20 years ago.

Tough decision to sell valuable artwork to do it. I'm sort of curious why they can't raise the funds else where though. They have been on a building spree building at least one new academic building, building a new library, a new residence hall and a new union and managed to fund that through donations.
Then you should spend some of your multi-millions by giving to your alma mater to lease out the paintings for display at your mansion.

I had 5 cousins who graduated from Valparaiso University.
One became an engineer at General Motors and another
became an insurance executive with All-State. The other
3 cousins were women, two became teachers and one
became a registered nurse.

Valpo is a private Christian university who had a reputation
of placing 90% of their graduates in their first job position.
Fund raising has become a means of keeping your doors open
in an extremely competitive market for new students.

Did any graduate any time close to '04? If so I might have known them.

Seems prudent to me. The future of the university and the solidifying of finances seems at stake. The university will still be able to carry out its mission without the art, and it won’t do the art any good to be liquidated in a bankruptcy sale.
Those paintings won’t be “liquidated“. If authentic and in good condition, they are world class and important. At auction, people will come forward.

Last edited:
Those paintings won’t be “liquidated“. It authentic and in good condition, they are world class and important. At auction, people will come forward.
Yes, and won’t do any good at that point. If it has value it has value now.

Yes, and won’t do any good at that point. If it has value it has value now.
I have no idea about the historic focus of Valpo, but closing down the arts and their law school leads me to believe that they will have less and less real cache for prospective students. As one student quoted said, “They are turning us into a tech school.”

Sure, tech is important, but selling art to build freshman dorms for a school with lagging numbers is not gonna put butts in the seats. There is too much competition. Gotta have some real draws.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT