ADVERTISEMENT

Valuing each posession

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Iowa has been a low turnover team, so last night was a bit of an anomoly. With that said, Fran's team's take an inordinate number of ill advised shots which costs them some of these close games. If the fast break isn't there, why throw up an off balanced three? Taking three point shots with no one underneath to get a possible rebound, not good. Thinking back on last night, we had players taking shots at critical times that really swung the pendulum in their favor. Not calling anyone out because Fran encourages everyone to shoot. Some that have not had much success all year. I still scratch my head with his substititions.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Iowa has been a low turnover team, so last night was a bit of an anomoly. With that said, Fran's team's take an inordinate number of ill advised shots which costs them some of these close games. If the fast break isn't there, why throw up an off balanced three? Taking three point shots with no one underneath to get a possible rebound, not good. Thinking back on last night, we had players taking shots at critical times that really swung the pendulum in their favor. Not calling anyone out because Fran encourages everyone to shoot. Some that have not had much success all year. I still scratch my head with his substititions.
The bottom line is Fran doesn’t have the horses to play the type of uptempo game he wants. There is no way any respectable P5 team should give up 89 points to that Penn State team. That’s almost 2.25 points/minute.

Pathetic.

The bottom line is Fran doesn’t have the horses to play the type of uptempo game he wants. There is no way any respectable P5 team should give up 89 points to that Penn State team. That’s almost 2.25 points/minute.

Pathetic.
I don't disagree. Why was Dix sitting when you need stops and he is one of our best defenders? Frustrating to watch. FWIW, in the last two losses to Maryland and PSU, a point guard took the game over and carried them to the finish line. Tony's a good player but not a point guard.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I don't disagree. Why was Dix sitting when you need stops and he is one of our best defenders? Frustrating to watch. FWIW, in the last two losses to Maryland and PSU, a point guard took the game over and carried them to the finish line. Tony's a good player but not a point guard.
Yep. Great observation. Tony is a fabulous player but he is not a point guard. That is not any fault of Tony’s. That’s on Fran.

Fourteen years and Fran still can’t find and/or develop a difference maker at point guard. It’s unfortunate, because Iowa has had some good ones. Ronnie Lester, BJ Armstrong, Andre Woolridge, Dean Oliver, and Jeff Horner all had phenomenal careers.

We’ve hit a pretty bad dry spell since Lickliter. One really good point guard during the Uthoff/White/Jok era or the Garza/Weiskamp/Murrays era and we are probably having a much different conversation about Fran today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT