ADVERTISEMENT

Very disturbing Barta quote

No. No. No.

That’s all people say about Iowa football and we are ALWAYS forced into patience. Patience can kick fu*king rocks.

“Spencer didn’t have a full off-season”
“The line is young”
“He’s a first-year Center”
“Barnett hasn’t worked with his group long enough”

The demand for patience is never-ending around here. It’s stupid.
Being patient is not the same thing as making excuses. Nobody is making excuses here. But the opposite of being patient is being impatient, and nobody wins with impatience right now. Firing coaches mid-season doesn't do any good unless you feel that the coach is THE problem. BF may be A problem, but he is far from being THE problem. Barnett the same. At this point it is all about being smart for the future of the program, and the first big part of that is to win 2 more games to get to bowl eligibility. That affords this team 4-6 more weeks of practices which they desperately need. And another game. After that it is about evaluating and developing the players you have on the roster in future years. Next year regardless Petras is gone, I would say Padilla is gone, and so a hard look needs to be given to Labas and May. Lets get some of the 2nd year guys in on the oline that we haven't seen yet. You don't want to do it now and throw the towel in on the season, but maybe after getting to 6 wins it would be a good idea to sprinkle them in and see what we have so we have a defined plan for the portal.

It probably feels like the right thing to be emotional, but, be careful to not cut your nose off to spite your face.

what a shitshow Iowa football has turned out to be
Not sure why but this quote from the Dark Knight seems painfully true regarding KF…
You either die a hero or you live (or coach )long enough to see yourself become the villain”
Coaches rarely last as long as KF in one spot. He’s done a lot for Iowa but sometimes it’s just time . We’ve reached that point with Iowa football . It’s just time to catch up with the rest of college football . Iowas style of play is becoming unwatchable, and at this point it’s definitely tarnishing an otherwise great 24 year career .

I think you are giving Barta way too much credit here - unless I'm reading your post wrong.

The guy is a dumbass...he let it slip that ultimately KF controls the program (which we already knew). In no way should any personal relationship and/or family connection influence how Barta fires/grades BF. He should be treated as a separate entity. That's the whole point. It should be based entirely on performance...and so far... his performance has been dog shit. He should have been canned years ago.
Barta is not a great AD - this is for certain. And, he's made lots of mistakes.

If Barta feels like he need KF's permission to fire BF, then he is totally incompetent and should be fired immediately by the President for dereliction of duty.

If Barta knows he is going to fire BF at the end of the season, but just doesn't want to burn BF at the stake due to respect for KF, then he is just trying to allow things to unfold with dignity.

Either is possible IMO.

If Barta should get canned, and he should, KF will resign shortly thereafter or negotiate an exit.

The $$$ is there to do it.

Nothing. Only Barta gives him power.

Despite what fans here are saying, KF deserves respect for his body of work. If you are Gary Barta, KF has been a dream of a HC. Twenty four years on the job, athletic dept in great financial shape, Kinnick stadium is fabulous.

It's ok for fans to "demand championships". From the perspective of an AD, KF has delivered excellence.

Until this year.

Whether he likes it or not, Barta is in a corner and he has to act.
Yeah Barta keeping KF happy has not been the issue. That's fine. What is nuts is the last extension he gave. To a coach in his mid-60s that goes until 2029 and offers payout north of $40 million if you let him go? Insane. Just nuts. Who was Barta negotiating against? Himself? If your mid-60s coach really wants to pull up stakes and go take another job, you say more power to you and move on.

Barta seems to value not having to hire another coach above everything else. It came back to bite him in the butt with the Iowa offense this year. He literally can't do a darn thing with that buyout.

The extension that Barta gave to Fran I thought was a bit too skewed in Fran's favor, but not like football. Fran's contract now goes through 2027-28 season and Fran is owed 60% of his remaining salary if he's let go at any time. Still expensive and gives some security to the coach, but doesn't hamstring the AD if the team's performance warrants it.

I still can't fathom the buyout in KF's extension. It would be one thing if he was 45. But he's 67 years old now. He's not taking another job if you don't give him that buyout. He's just not.

And what does that do seriously. Going to make a really good impression on the young men that are visiting this weekend.
There isn’t a damm thing we can do except hurt this program by all the negativity.
What does 3 downs and punt, fumble on 1st down, pick 6 on first down, or perpetual underthrow / overthrow do for the recruiting program?

Nothing. Only Barta gives him power.

Despite what fans here are saying, KF deserves respect for his body of work. If you are Gary Barta, KF has been a dream of a HC. Twenty four years on the job, athletic dept in great financial shape, Kinnick stadium is fabulous.

It's ok for fans to "demand championships". From the perspective of an AD, KF has delivered excellence.

Until this year.

Whether he likes it or not, Barta is in a corner and he has to act.
Here was I don’t understand about a number of Hawkeye fans. Do you not remotely have a clue how much better this could have been had we just had an average offense? Kirk was gifted by Iowa being in the BIG West. Had Iowa been stuck in the East he would be long gone by now. In most years it would have been a battle between Rutgers, Iowa, Indiana and maybe Maryland to avoid the cellar. KF has had his offensive head buried in the sand for well over a decade. I had hope for BF but that was wishful thinking. One thing we know for sure, we can’t be worse than 131.

Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
Good grief, guys. You just got the shit kicked out of you by perhaps the best team in the nation; you won the West last year, went to a big bowl, and have a chance for a bowl this season. A little perspective would be nice, much as I enjoy watching SOME of the melted-downs.
I do not count last year as anything at all really and for three reasons: #1 they had to have help to back into that champ game. #2. they sucked so bad in the champ game and laid down and died, scored not one single touchdown, and were blown out by 40+ points, and then, #3 sucked in the bowl game. so I think the perspective here is: second straight year of suckage

Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
Good grief, guys. You just got the shit kicked out of you by perhaps the best team in the nation; you won the West last year, went to a big bowl, and have a chance for a bowl this season. A little perspective would be nice, much as I enjoy watching SOME of the melted-downs.
we BARELY beat your mediocre team 3 years in a row(our offense being between garbage and trash each game) and actually lost to you(AT HOME) this year

there's some perspective

:(

Not sure, but it’s apparently ok to flat out lie to get around nepotism laws. The whole “Brian answers to the AD” thing is a total sham.

Collaborating with KF on this absolutely does not make it a sham. Well, it does not provide proof it is a sham and is not really a piece of evidence.

If I’m a team leader, but my whole team reports to the CEO and the CEO asks my opinion about having to fire someone - does that mean I’m in charge? Of course it’s different, but technically Barta could fire any of the coaches.

At the end of the day… i have little problem with anyone that says he never should have been hired or should have been cut last year (or 2 years ago), but saying he must be fired midseason is unreasonable IMO given KFs history.

SIAP….Bartas salary is 650,000 through 2024. That’s nothing compared to KF or BFs salary…Guy sucks at his job regardless of the current offensive problems… fire that schmuck for someone with balls that will do something about Brian… that’s my fix to this situation.

All I am saying is I would like to see everyone calm down a little bit and see what happens. If we make it through the entire off-season and no changes were made, yeah, I get it, then you can go off. But KF deserves as much.
The problem is that the above could have been written last December. The can has been kicked down the road long enough.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Yeah Barta keeping KF happy has not been the issue. That's fine. What is nuts is the last extension he gave. To a coach in his mid-60s that goes until 2029 and offers payout north of $40 million if you let him go? Insane. Just nuts. Who was Barta negotiating against? Himself? If your mid-60s coach really wants to pull up stakes and go take another job, you say more power to you and move on.

Barta seems to value not having to hire another coach above everything else. It came back to bite him in the butt with the Iowa offense this year. He literally can't do a darn thing with that buyout.

The extension that Barta gave to Fran I thought was a bit too skewed in Fran's favor, but not like football. Fran's contract now goes through 2027-28 season and Fran is owed 60% of his remaining salary if he's let go at any time. Still expensive and gives some security to the coach, but doesn't hamstring the AD if the team's performance warrants it.

I still can't fathom the buyout in KF's extension. It would be one thing if he was 45. But he's 67 years old now. He's not taking another job if you don't give him that buyout. He's just not.
I totally agree. It doesn't seem like many see how absolutely ridiculous, unnecessary, and irresponsible it was.
Too bad Barta can't get hit with a financial penalty for doing it. However it was such bad judgement that it could be the basis for termination.

In a thread a couple of weeks ago, I asked who above Barta signed off on that. Someone must have.

• Haha
There is no reasoning with the swarm here. This is their life and all they got obviously. Its sad as hell, but this is it for them.

Lol

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
Do people realize how silly they sound when arguing that we should be grateful because we recently beat teams that "were ranked at the time" and "we participated in a bowl game". As if that's an actual achievement or makes watching an offense that can't score so much more palattable?

How did Tom Davis get shitcanned for making sweet 16s while Kirk Ferentz becomes a demigod for beating Georgia Tech once?

I have to agree. The worst day as a Hawkeye....is still better than the best day...as a clone.

• Love
Reactions: IAGuy
154614390.jpg.0.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: HerkyFan4Life
Here was I don’t understand about a number of Hawkeye fans. Do you not remotely have a clue how much better this could have been had we just had an average offense? Kirk was gifted by Iowa being in the BIG West. Had Iowa been stuck in the East he would be long gone by now. In most years it would have been a battle between Rutgers, Iowa, Indiana and maybe Maryland to avoid the cellar. KF has had his offensive head buried in the sand for well over a decade. I had hope for BF but that was wishful thinking. One thing we know for sure, we can’t be worse than 131.
My post was expressing my thoughts about the perspective of Gary Barta as an AD at Iowa - not my own opinion about the football program.

I don’t beat you up on here like many try to. I do not even have the animosity towards ISU many do abs get criticized for it. But let me give you brutal honest feedback to your reply here that you won’t like probably.

Yes, we as fans here are spoiled to some degree. Over the past 40+ years now we have achieved a ton of success in football that Iowa State has never nor ever will. The bar here has been set at levels far above what you can ever dream as an ISU fan.

This is why you don’t understand and can’t relate. It’s no different than why we as Iowa fans can’t relate to the disgruntlement Alabama fans feel at times.

With all due respect, our achievements in football have been at a level in football are levels above what you can understand. Call us spoiled, but this is why you can’t relate as a Clone.

who do you think is going to lead us to the promised land?
Honestly, I have no idea who might be a good replacement. I have heard about this guy and he sounds like a possible candidate, Jason Candle, Toledo. Haven't researched him but I know he was on Campbell's squad a couple of years ago.

I don’t beat you up on here like many try to. I do not even have the animosity towards ISU many do abs get criticized for it. But let me give you brutal honest feedback to your reply here that you won’t like probably.

Yes, we as fans here are spoiled to some degree. Over the past 40+ years now we have achieved a ton of success in football that Iowa State has never nor ever will. The bar here has been set at levels far above what you can ever dream as an ISU fan.

This is why you don’t understand and can’t relate. It’s no different than why we as Iowa fans can’t relate to the disgruntlement Alabama fans feel at times.

With all due respect, our achievements in football have been at a level in football are levels above what you can understand. Call us spoiled, but this is why you can’t relate as a Clone.
I get your point(s) and don't necessarily disagree. I certainly don't mean you shouldn't be incensed about the offense.. I just think calling for KF's departure is not a rational position at this point. And I have seen this kind of thinking backfire, big-time. Nebraska comes immediately to mind, but the same thing has happened elsewhere, like Oklahoma and Texas. And I can remember when a lot of ISU fans were glad to see Earle Bruce leave because he was "old eight-and-three Earle."

I get your point(s) and don't necessarily disagree. I certainly don't mean you shouldn't be incensed about the offense.. I just think calling for KF's departure is not a rational position at this point. And I have seen this kind of thinking backfire, big-time. Nebraska comes immediately to mind, but the same thing has happened elsewhere, like Oklahoma and Texas. And I can remember when a lot of ISU fans were glad to see Earle Bruce leave because he was "old eight-and-three Earle."
Nebraska has fired 5 coaches in the last 15 years. Iowa has two in 44 years so not an apples to apples comparison.

Wisconsin fired Paul Chryst to get ahead of a slide that saw happening and to avoid going into a deep hole that will take a long time to get out of hand. And this is why Wisconsin will continue to stay ahead of the curve.

• Haha
The problem is that the above could have been written last December. The can has been kicked down the road long enough.
Not to quote Kirk or anything, but, they did win 10 games last year. That is a big deal and not many programs can accomplish this, no matter how much the negative fans want to diminish it by saying the schedule was weak. It was not a reach to think that the very young oline would get dramatically better, both by experience as well as integrating some of the apparent talent we were able to accumulate in recruiting the year before. Also, our WR core of KJ, AB and CJ would all be much better, Lachey would add a second tight end and the youth at the RB position would be a huge plus. Oh, and one of the quarterbacks would emerge as the offense would start to click with them. All of that was very believable and one would think accountable. But we didnt know CJ would transfer, KJ would not play, Spencer wouldnt improve and the offensive line could actually get worse. So saying all of that I don't blame KF at all for staying status quo over the off-season last year. This year though is very much different.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
So saying all of that I don't blame KF at all for staying status quo over the off-season last year.
Unreal any fanatic could even say this. Evidence again Kirk is galvanized deep into the hearts of many fanatics like yourself. Damn.

Well it could be that Brian is an effective OC (although I doubt it) but it doesn't really matter because whoever Kirk's offensive coordinator is will do exactly what Kirk wants done. Hell, I could be Kirk's offensive coordinator and be just as effective as anyone else who's had the job. The best OC in the world would be just about as effective as Brian if he was on Kirk's staff.

And what does that do seriously. Going to make a really good impression on the young men that are visiting this weekend.
There isn’t a damm thing we can do except hurt this program by all the negativity.
The only power we have is to not show up ,,,,,,
I would support tailgating the first half - sends a message to those who count on our money. If you want to organize something to help do something in the realm.
Lmao your worried about the impression of young men from fans booing on Saturday. But zero worry about what all the talking heads in sports media are saying about this team and staff. This kids done want to come play in front of fans that don’t care. If that was the case they would all end up on the coast for warm weather and pretty woman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT