ADVERTISEMENT

Wal-Mart Largest Employer in 20 States

Sigh. Another MSN ad-seller.

And for the record, the size of Wal-Mart doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that government employs vastly more people than Wal-Mart.

And for the record, the size of Wal-Mart doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that government employs vastly more people than Wal-Mart.

Need all those government workers to help process all of this:

Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.

Originally posted by moxyfruvous:

Need all those government workers to help process all of this:

Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.
Good grief. Thank heaven for Walmart, then, because just imagine how much those people would cost the government if they didn't have jobs.

You're thinking the wrong way, LC. What if all those Wal-mart workers didn't qualify for government assistance based on higher earnings? Good grief indeed.

You're thinking the wrong way, LC. What if all those Wal-mart workers didn't qualify for government assistance based on higher earnings? Good grief indeed.
What if those Wal-Mart workers didn't get any government assistance and learned to live within their means. It's possible, most chose not to however.

I am on the right side but I miss having more smaller stores (small business owners). I also understand though that Americans like buying cheap stuff from China and elsewhere.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I am not an economist and am very much a capitalist. But there must be a connection between a store buying product at low prices, selling it to customers at low prices, and paying its employees low wages.

Often vilified Wal-Mart is the devil in this thread, but they can't be the only one.

Originally posted by herk90:
I am on the right side but I miss having more smaller stores (small business owners). I also understand though that Americans like buying cheap stuff from China and elsewhere.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I'm with you on this. I will buy locally and from smaller outlets if the price is anywhere near competitive, because I believe in supporting local businesses. I buy almost all my golf stuff at my local course, for instance, even though I can get stuff cheaper online.

But I'm not a wacko on the subject. For instance, I can get a better golf glove online than at the local course, and it costs about 40% as much.

This is America. Warts and all.

rchawk posted on 3/26/2015...
I am not an economist and am very much a capitalist. But there must be a connection between a store buying product at low prices, selling it to customers at low prices, and paying its employees low wages.

Often vilified Wal-Mart is the devil in this thread, but they can't be the only one.

Of course they are not the only one, just the most obvious and blatant. Wal-Mart is also very heavy-handed in their dealings with vendors. A very close friend was a partner in a large wholesale bakery that supplied Wal-Mart with bagels. Their contract offered a 10% discount when invoices were paid within 10 days. Wal-Mart took the 10% discount but never paid in 10 days...usually 30-45 days. Kroger pulled the same thing with them. Their smaller accounts always adhered to the discount payments.

It so happened my close friend's son was working for Pfizer Pharmaceutical as an auditor and assigned the Wal-Mart account. When my friend was moaning about Wal-Mart's payment history his son started to laugh, "Wal-mart took over $20 million of unearned discounts from Pfizer last year...that's just the way they do business. You bend over and take it in the shorts or just quit selling them product".

Great company with high integrity:):)

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Sigh, another mindless post from LC.

Here's a link to Federal civilian employment. Which folks do you want to fire?

Census Bureau

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

Sigh, another mindless post from LC.

Here's a link to Federal civilian employment. Which folks do you want to fire?
Sigh, another obfuscation by Parser.

Did I say Federal? Did I say civilian? Uh, no and also no.

The linked story shows about 12 million government employees, or about 8% of all jobs.....BUT does not include public school teachers or hospital workers, so the real number is closer to 18 million. And of course that still doesn't count the people who are working for government, although their checks come from companies that function primarily as government contractors.

This post was edited on 3/27 2:29 PM by Lone Clone

Just a partial tally

Lone.....the important think to remember here is that where do you get your tee time? Where do you get your golf cart? You don't get those things on-line or from China, do you?
WalMart is the scourge of America today! Do you ever see a wealthy person livi in your community who has worked at Walmart Mart? The wealthy WalMarters live in Bentonvolle.....not CR, DSM or Pella.
Most WalMarters are hourly employees and they ain't getting rich there. Not smearing at anyone who works there. My experience would lead to believe that a manager of a WalMart store does not have the effect on his/her community that a manager of the local manufacturing plant would have. The money to be made is not working for a retailer....its building, distributing or financing something.

Originally posted by joelbc1:
Lone.....the important think to remember here is that where do you get your tee time? Where do you get your golf cart? You don't get those things on-line or from China, do you?
WalMart is the scourge of America today! Do you ever see a wealthy person livi in your community who has worked at Walmart Mart? The wealthy WalMarters live in Bentonvolle.....not CR, DSM or Pella.
Most WalMarters are hourly employees and they ain't getting rich there. Not smearing at anyone who works there. My experience would lead to believe that a manager of a WalMart store does not have the effect on his/her community that a manager of the local manufacturing plant would have. The money to be made is not working for a retailer....its building, distributing or financing something.
As I said, I will spend more to buy from a local retailer. But there is a point where the principle doesn't outweigh the additional cost. Under our system, some stores fail because they simply don't provide a sufficient reward for their cost.

I think the best example of this problem may be with hardware stores like Ace or Coast-to-Coast, which were a staple of the small Iowa town when I was younger. They also were a neighborhood staple in larger communities. I know a guy who owned one of these, and eventually got out of the business. He said that in order to serve his customers, he had to keep a large stock of screws, bolts, clamps, brackets, nails, etc. on hand.....if a customer came in and couldn't buy a bolt he needed, the customer would be pissed. But when the customer needed a new lawnmower, he went to Sears (or Wal-Mart, since that's who we're talking about here).

Now, that's sad and regrettable. The small hardware store guy usually could not only supply you with what you wanted, but could tell you what you wanted even if you didn't know, yourself. That's still the case with Ace in Cedar Rapids. Go in there and there are a couple of retired guys who absolutely know what they're doing. You say something like, "I need one of those gizmos that lets you connect a whatchamacallit to a thingamajig," and instead of looking at you like you're from outer space, these guys say, "Sure, we have those. About what size do you need?"

But if WalMart has the same lawnmower for $150 less, where are you going to go?

Originally posted by HallofFame:
Trash company
I'm not a Walmart fan....I avoid them at all costs. I can honestly say that I have not stepped foot in one in probably two years.

Do Target employees make any more? Are they treated any better? How about Best Buy or ANY of the big box stores that still operate? Instead of attacking a company for doing what companies all over this country do....why not attack the Gov't for setting the conditions which allow their practices, and set the conditions that cause so many small businesses to fail.

brawndo-logo.jpg

As I said, I will spend more to buy from a local retailer. But there is a point where the principle doesn't outweigh the additional cost. Under our system, some stores fail because they simply don't provide a sufficient reward for their cost.

I think the best example of this problem may be with hardware stores like Ace or Coast-to-Coast, which were a staple of the small Iowa town when I was younger. They also were a neighborhood staple in larger communities. I know a guy who owned one of these, and eventually got out of the business. He said that in order to serve his customers, he had to keep a large stock of screws, bolts, clamps, brackets, nails, etc. on hand.....if a customer came in and couldn't buy a bolt he needed, the customer would be pissed. But when the customer needed a new lawnmower, he went to Sears (or Wal-Mart, since that's who we're talking about here).

Now, that's sad and regrettable. The small hardware store guy usually could not only supply you with what you wanted, but could tell you what you wanted even if you didn't know, yourself. That's still the case with Ace in Cedar Rapids. Go in there and there are a couple of retired guys who absolutely know what they're doing. You say something like, "I need one of those gizmos that lets you connect a whatchamacallit to a thingamajig," and instead of looking at you like you're from outer space, these guys say, "Sure, we have those. About what size do you need?"

Lone....if that is the case, you get your old lawnmower fixed!
I can tell you a story about how WalMart works, but I will ask you to read "Deerhunting with Jesus" instead....you're a learned man the read might open your eyes.
First of all.......most of the time, what WalMart "sells" as far as name brands, they are NOT the same. They are spec'ed" out differently.
Two examples I can throw at you off the top of my head........both regarding shoes. Several years ago WalMart threatened to take "Earth" and "Red Wing" shoes to court as both refused to sell product to WalMart. As the case progressed......both agreed to sell products woith their "name" to WalMart in exchange to WalMart dropping its court case. The "WalMart" brand of shoes was vastly inferior to what "Earth" retailed vis there dealers. However, they were 1/4 the price. You couldn't find the WalMart shoes in any dealer store...and God knows TONS were brought in for warranty claims as compared to the "Earth" shoes dealers handled.
"Red Wing" also agreed to WalMart suit, but the WalMart shoes were maunfactured in Red China as opposed to RedWing Minnesota. Authorized "dealer stores" sold shoes that were all made in Red Wing Minnesota and USA made. What has happened to Red Wing, is that as "the old guard" retired and are being replaced, more and more Red Wing boots, that are sold in Red Wing dealer stores are now being made in Red China........and quite honestly, the workmanship of Red Wing has suffered accordingly. The sad new for America is that job formerly held in Red Wing, Minnesota are now being replaced by workers in Red China. It's the way we do business today. The decline of craftsmanship ands pride is easily replaced by the chase for the corporate dollar.
But honestly Lone.....read "Deerhunting with Jesus". It is, if nothing else, an eye-openiner as to how WalMart does business.

I can tell you a story about how WalMart works, but I will ask you to read "Deerhunting with Jesus" instead....you're a learned man the read might open your eyes.
First of all.......most of the time, what WalMart "sells" as far as name brands, they are NOT the same. They are spec'ed" out differently.
Two examples I can throw at you off the top of my head........both regarding shoes. Several years ago WalMart threatened to take "Earth" and "Red Wing" shoes to court as both refused to sell product to WalMart. As the case progressed......both agreed to sell products woith their "name" to WalMart in exchange to WalMart dropping its court case. The "WalMart" brand of shoes was vastly inferior to what "Earth" retailed vis there dealers. However, they were 1/4 the price. You couldn't find the WalMart shoes in any dealer store...and God knows TONS were brought in for warranty claims as compared to the "Earth" shoes dealers handled.
"Red Wing" also agreed to WalMart suit, but the WalMart shoes were maunfactured in Red China as opposed to RedWing Minnesota. Authorized "dealer stores" sold shoes that were all made in Red Wing Minnesota and USA made. What has happened to Red Wing, is that as "the old guard" retired and are being replaced, more and more Red Wing boots, that are sold in Red Wing dealer stores are now being made in Red China........and quite honestly, the workmanship of Red Wing has suffered accordingly. The sad new for America is that job formerly held in Red Wing, Minnesota are now being replaced by workers in Red China. It's the way we do business today. The decline of craftsmanship ands pride is easily replaced by the chase for the corporate dollar.
But honestly Lone.....read "Deerhunting with Jesus". It is, if nothing else, an eye-openiner as to how WalMart does business.
I don't understand the shoe story.

I am aware that brand names you buy in chain stores aren't necessarily the same as you buy from a dealer. Same is true for Sears. Model numbers are different, and although they may look the same and have all the same features, they aren't the same product.

But I don't see how WalMart can sell shoes with the RedWing or Earth name that aren't made by/for Red Wing or Earth.

Thanks for the book tip.

I don't understand the shoe story.

I am aware that brand names you buy in chain stores aren't necessarily the same as you buy from a dealer. Same is true for Sears. Model numbers are different, and although they may look the same and have all the same features, they aren't the same product.

But I don't see how WalMart can sell shoes with the RedWing or Earth name that aren't made by/for Red Wing or Earth.

Thanks for the book tip.
Lone...they ARE "jobbed" out by the manufacturers to WalMart specs...the work just isn't done by the same folks or to the same specs are the manufacturers require for their products sold by their dealers. In short, WalMart is buying the "name" for
distribution at a lower price point......and lost in the marketing, a "lesser" product. And they did it via capitalistic bullying......a long, drawn-out expensive lawsuit the manufacturer cannot afford. WalMart has 100's of lawyers working for them corporately in Bentonsville.
Also, a side bar...in the interim, Earth has been sold and the new owner seems to be well on the path of self-destruction of the product, himself....that is my editorial opinion.

I'm curious to hear your answer to your own question.

I'll hang up & listen.

Retail has never been a particularly high hourly wage industry. In fact, probably one of the lower wage industries.

If you think Walmart is THE scourge of America, then don't shop there.

Originally posted by 86Hawkeye:

Retail has never been a particularly high hourly wage industry. In fact, probably one of the lower wage industries.

Retail is low, but those numbers are astonishing low, even for rural, or repressed areas.

They quoted full time employee averages in the $12-$13.00 range. That is around $27K per year, not including part time. I don't know a lot about them, but I would guess based on my knowledge of that sector, the average store has a footprint similar to this...

GM 125,000
ASM 75,000 x 4
Area Manager 50,000 x 6
Shipping 30,000 x 2

That equals about $28 an hour for around 13 employees. I find it hard to believe the average Wal Mart store employees enough additional full time employees at a low enough wage to bring their average down to $13. Even with 20 employees at $10.00 an hour, their average would still be around $17.00. I guess if they don't contract out janitorial, and don't hire a high amount of part time, it's possible.

If those numbers are correct, they are really, really scary.

86...The local shoe store, grocery store or clothing store is not even close to being any state's largest employer.
When "the stupids" patronize WalMart, this is the kind of thing that happens. Mississippi, Arkansas, Mizzery and Illinois...look where they are today....all riding the wings of WalMart to the bottom of the economic garbage heap. Guys....is the answer trade unions or WalMart for the health and welfare of America? We have chosen the WalMart way and for the past 30 years we have steadily declined.

86...The local shoe store, grocery store or clothing store is not even close to being any state's largest employer.
When "the stupids" patronize WalMart, this is the kind of thing that happens. Mississippi, Arkansas, Mizzery and Illinois...look where they are today....all riding the wings of WalMart to the bottom of the economic garbage heap. Guys....is the answer trade unions or WalMart for the health and welfare of America? We have chosen the WalMart way and for the past 30 years we have steadily declined.
This is America, Joel. Good people and good businesses don't always win. Oldsmobile and Pontiac have joined Hupmobile and Hudson.

Or, as Sonny & Cher put it, the grocery store is now the supermart.

wal mart is basically America and the government, it is basically the food bank or the warehouse for the masses, the outlet for the masses to buy their darn food with their darn food stamps

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT