ADVERTISEMENT

Shoppers named Hy-Vee the best chain in the country. See the list.

Where do you shop? There's a Kroger in my neighborhood (Westhaven), but I still go to Publix.

I am two weeks into living in Franklin after living in the Chicago area for 25 years. I think my go-to is going to be Walmart. And supplemental trips to Trader Joe’s and Costco.

The nicest Walmart I’ve ever been in has been this Franklin one. And you can see the commitment to lowering prices from WM - as gross as giving more $$ to the Waltons is.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I am two weeks into living in Franklin after living in the Chicago area for 25 years. I think my go-to is going to be Walmart. And supplemental trips to Trader Joe’s and Costco.

The nicest Walmart I’ve ever been in has been this Franklin one. And you can see the commitment to lowering prices from WM - as gross as giving more $$ to the Waltons is.
That Wal-Mart is nice. Welcome to Franklin!

HyVee and Fareway have literally the same prices. If you buy a random cart of groceries they will be the same or very close. HyVee has done it several times over the years as a promotion to prove they are the same.

Fareway does have much better meat though. That's what I go in there for. HyVee also has great ads so if you stock up you can save a lot of money. Plus fuel saver is a big bonus.

No one is competing with Walmart or Sam's on price.
Here is the problem with the fuel saver: to get cents off on your gas, you have to way overpay on groceries. So you save $30 or $40 or whatever on a tank of gas but you pay an extra $1,000 on the groceries to get it, if you do the bulk of your shopping at hyvee. Also, their gas prices are higher than at costco or sam's.

Reactions: McLovin32
ALDI is where it's at. Every single time the wife no pics and I go in there and get a couple large bags worth of groceries, it always blows my mind when we ring everything up and it comes out to like $60. I always immediately wonder how much it would have been at Hy Vee, and usually I'd guess well into triple digits.

Here is the problem with the fuel saver: to get cents off on your gas, you have to way overpay on groceries. So you save $30 or $40 or whatever on a tank of gas but you pay an extra $1,000 on the groceries to get it, if you do the bulk of your shopping at hyvee. Also, their gas prices are higher than at costco or sam's.
That's not true at all. You just have to watch the ads. A lot of the time if you are smart you can save a lot of money on stuff you were going to buy anyways.

Reactions: Tom Paris
That's not true at all. You just have to watch the ads. A lot of the time if you are smart you can save a lot of money on stuff you were going to buy anyways.
I don't want to watch for ads to save on a couple of items. I want to buy things that are appropriately priced across the board.

Reactions: McLovin32
List is wrong. Nugget Markets is the best supermarket chain. Not my fault the voters aren't all from NorCal.

I do most of our shopping at Costco but all the rest at Hy-Vee. Having two of our kids working there helps.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Locally, the best were the old school Econofoods stores. Big stores, tons of brands, basic appearance and minimal customer service. It all added up to low prices. They faltered when they started trying to outdo Hy-Vee at their own game.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I worked for HyVee as a manager for over twenty years. They are way overpriced and use the fuel saver to get you to buy high profit items. My biggest problem with them is how they treat the employees. They pay less than a living wage to full time employees and really lead the part time employees into believing that if they work hard they will be given full time. It never happens. Their corporate officers are like cartoon villains. I’m glad that I left and wish I had done it sooner.

Hey Vee sux, but it is pretty good for Iowa. Tallest midget kinda deal.

The best grocery store chain is called HEB, and their high end branded ‘Central Market’ is the greatest grocery store ever created. It is a perfect blend of value and premium products; everything Whole Foods tried to be back in the day and more, but executed to perfection by virtue of its micro scale.

Truth bomb!

The B stands for Butt.

I worked for HyVee as a manager for over twenty years. They are way overpriced and use the fuel saver to get you to buy high profit items. My biggest problem with them is how they treat the employees. They pay less than a living wage to full time employees and really lead the part time employees into believing that if they work hard they will be given full time. It never happens. Their corporate officers are like cartoon villains. I’m glad that I left and wish I had done it sooner.
Did you leave when they laid off a bunch of managers right before covid hit?

Reactions: chubby bunny
They would literally tell you to your face that they don’t care about their employees think. I’ve seen it personally more than once.

It's been interesting to watch the company change over the last few years. They seemed to have been making a push to become attractive to the bigger fish that were buying brands pre-covid by spending all sorts of money on expansion, endorsements, sponsorships and branded apparel. As well as a lot of permanent infrastructure for the groceries to-go post pandemic.

Then they started shutting down stores and inexplicably blaming the community members. Weird move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT