ADVERTISEMENT

Walgreens to close 1,200 US stores

I sold consumer packaged goods to Walgreens for 12 years. It was solid business when I first started but quickly got stale. They’ve tried one business model after another and several consumer/shopper levers that just haven’t gotten traction.

It’s an amazing company with a long history. But it may be dying in front of us.

I wonder what the revenue mix is between health and prescription products and normal retail goods. They have a lot of merchandise that seems cheaper everywhere else. Household goods? School supplies? Makeup?

We still get prescriptions there but rarely anything else. 90% of the time use the drive through.

To my eye, WAG has had a lot of issues, some internal, some external.

On the internal side, as you note, they just overbuilt in world that no longer caters to bricks and mortar. (Interestingly, I thought we were really going to see the power of that distribution asset during Covid in terms of vaccine administration, etc., but it just never really materialized.) In addition, they seemed to reach our to way too many "adjunct" business models to get a greater place in the health care space, when all of the incentives around integration favored hospital based systems, and most of them have failed pretty spectacularly. (E.g., minute clinics, and who could possibly forget the disaster with Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.)

Externally, they have a more diverse and powerful group of competitors in the big box world and in the online world, and pbms have cut pharmacy margins to the bone. And recognize that the Inflation Reduction Act's "negotiated pricing" provisions are going to kill pharmacies -- while the incremental discounts associated with the first ten drugs are relatively modest, the real impact of the program is to require that the discounts be passed through and made available to patients at the point of sale. In other words, that's a good thing for patients, but say goodbye to whatever profit margins might have been available to pharmacies for the ten biggest medicare and Medicaid drugs on the market (cause they sure aren't making their numbers based on dispensing fees).

Note also that as stores close, their leverage with PBM networks gets even weaker as the 'local/regional go to" for employees of the benefit plans the pbms administer on the private side. Vicious cycle.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
So many places now have next day Amazon delivery.

Walgreens and CVS likely got sales on overpriced retail goods because it was conveniently close. People now way that against “order from my phone and have it tomorrow” at a cheaper price.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I wonder what the revenue mix is between health and prescription products and normal retail goods. They have a lot of merchandise that seems cheaper everywhere else. Household goods? School supplies? Makeup?

We still get prescriptions there but rarely anything else. 90% of the time use the drive through.
Only thing I get there is photos.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Around here it's

CVS----->opposite corner----->Walgreens

Can't have one without the other, it seems.
THIS!!! I always thought it was a dumb model to build these almost always next to the other. Now, they are all dying off together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT