ADVERTISEMENT

WaPo: Biden’s war on fossil fuels has strengthened Putin and weakened America

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017

Russian President Vladimir Putin was emboldened to launch his full-scale invasion of Ukraine because he believed that President Biden was bluffing when he threatened serious consequences.
On Thursday, Biden proved him right.

Not only did the United States and its NATO allies fail to kick Moscow out of the SWIFT banking network used by almost all major financial institutions to wire money — which would effectively exclude Russia from the global economy — Biden failed to sanction Putin’s two most significant exports: oil and natural gas. To the contrary, Biden announced that he had specifically designed the sanctions “to allow energy payments to continue.”
Putin gambled that Biden was not willing to risk sanctioning his lucrative energy exports, and thus driving up energy prices for U.S. consumers just months before the midterm elections. The bet paid off.

This failure of deterrence shows the folly of Biden’s war on fossil fuels. He inherited a nation that was an energy superpower. During his four years in office, President Donald Trump opened 100 million acresof public land and water, including the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, to exploration. He withdrew from the Paris climate accord, approved the Keystone XL pipeline between the United States and Canada, and rolled back Obama-era regulations such as the Clean Power Planthat held back domestic exploration and production. Trump’s policy was “drill, baby drill.” The result? On his watch, the United States supplanted Russia and Saudi Arabia as the world’s largest oil producer.

This newfound energy independence transformed the national security landscape, strengthening the United States vis-a-vis Russia and other revanchist powers. But on taking office, Biden squandered the position of strength he inherited from Trump. He prioritized climate change over energy independence and launched a policy of energy disarmament. Biden rejoined the Paris agreement and canceled the Keystone XL pipeline, which by itself would have transported 830,000 barrels of oil per day from Alberta to refineries on the Gulf Coast of Texas — far more than the 538,000 barrels we import every day from Russia). He suspended oil and gas leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and sought to deliver on his campaign promise to ban all “new oil and gas permitting on public lands and waters.” And he made clear his intention to tax and regulate the fossil fuel industry out of business, promising that his administration would “end fossil fuel.”

These policies have backfired — undermining the United States in its confrontation with Russia today. Thanks to Biden’s climate policies, and the record inflation his administration has helped unleash, the price of gasoline has risenfrom an average of $2.38 a gallon under Trump to $3.53 today — the largest year-over-year price rises in at least 30 years. That leaves little room to absorb the impact of massive oil and gas sanctions on Russia. The highest U.S. price for a gallon of regular gas has been $4.11. If Biden were to impose the kinds of crippling energy sanctions required to truly punish Russia, prices could rise far higher.

Putin knew Biden couldn’t take that risk. He saw that Biden’s approval rating was in free fall, and that the U.S. president had no political capital to spend at home in confronting Russia’s aggression against Ukraine. And Putin had prepared for this moment by amassing more than $630 billion in reserves of gold and hard currency to ride out any sanctions we impose. When it came to an energy standoff, Putin knew Russia had the upper hand. He was right.
On Tuesday, after the first Russian forces crossed Ukraine’s border into the Donbas region, a senior U.S. State Department official told Putin he need not worry about his energy exports if he launched a full-scale assault on Kyiv. “The sanctions that are being imposed today, as well that could be imposed in the near future, are not targeting and will not target oil and gas flows,” said the official, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “We would like the market to take note that there’s no need for increasing the price at the moment.” This is pathetic. The Biden administration publicly announced that it was more concerned about the reaction of the energy market than about how Putin would react in Ukraine.

Biden’s war on fossil fuels has weakened America and strengthened Russia — because he apparently cares more about fighting climate change than he cares about stopping Putin’s aggression or the cost to Americans at the gas pump.
What Biden and the Democrats don’t seem to understand is that you cannot simultaneously wage war on fossil fuels and stop Russia from waging war against Ukraine. Biden’s energy disarmament has weakened America on the world stage. The first step in reversing Putin’s aggression is to restore American energy independence.

Wouldn’t getting off fossil fuels be the ultimate goal. Renewal energy would be climate friendly and make us less dependent on foreign powers. In his speech Biden mentioned gas prices being the top priority. Seems like you’re missing the point.
I didn’t write it. However, I think the point you are missing is that this strategy is neither attempting to get closer to renewal energy as a standard (the oil is still flowing) nor trying to hurt Russia where they thrive (fossil fuel). It’s merely an effort to keep his approval numbers from dropping more.

They said the sanctions are not targeting and will not target oil and gas flows. Then begged OPEC to keep prices the same. He chose his own popularity over hitting Russia where it hurts.

I didn’t write it. However, I think the point you are missing is that this strategy is neither attempting to get closer to renewal energy as a standard (the oil is still flowing) nor trying to hurt Russia where they thrive (fossil fuel). It’s merely an effort to keep his approval numbers from dropping more.

They said the sanctions are not targeting and will not target oil and gas flows. Then begged OPEC to keep prices the same. He chose his own popularity over hitting Russia where it hurts.
ONE guys opinion. A guy with an admitted agenda. I bet the WaPo can find someone to write a “counter” to his article, too.

Theissen is full of spit.
1. Tar sands crude is kerosene-like when refined and not even used in the US.
2. As the linked article points out the boom in tracking started under Obama only to slow when oil prices cratered in 2014 when OPEC started a price war by opening up production to drive Frackers out of biz.
OPEC still controls oil prices by controlling production as they have agreed to do presently as they love 100 dollar oil.
3. Biden tried in vain to limit gulf oil leases but courts have stopped him.
He now has averaged more leases per month in his year than Trump.
This column is a joke.

ONE guys opinion. A guy with an admitted agenda. I bet the WaPo can find someone to write a “counter” to his article, too.
Well no shit. Actually…HE’S the counter to the 300 articles ciggy posts by people from the same paper. Weird how you never say this silly shit to any of his articles.

So far, it's fact that the swift banking system remains untouched, and aside from the nordstream2 pipeline, oil and gas are unharmed too.

It's opinion that those are bad things. But it's a pretty universal opinion within the US, on both sides of the aisle. It's Europe that won't do those things.

So far, it's fact that the swift banking system remains untouched, and aside from the nordstream2 pipeline, oil and gas are unharmed too.

It's opinion that those are bad things. But it's a pretty universal opinion within the US, on both sides of the aisle. It's Europe that won't do those things.

Sanctions, sanctions, sanctions!

But not anything that will result in pain for westerners.

Remember "Victory Gardens" and rations on goods for the boys fighting the wars overseas?

The Tradition remembers....

Well, not really... I'm not that old, but I saw documentaries about it on The History Channel.

Well no shit. Actually…HE’S the counter to the 300 articles ciggy posts by people from the same paper. Weird how you never say this silly shit to any of his articles.
Because I understand what the purpose of an “opinion/ editor’s pagg he e” is FAU.
Blame my public school education for that, I guess. I know where ciggy’s stuff is coming from…the difference is Ciggy ain’t passing his stuff of as gospel or “Fox facts”….

Sanctions, sanctions, sanctions!

But not anything that will result in pain for westerners.

Remember "Victory Gardens" and rations on goods for the boys fighting the wars overseas?

The Tradition remembers....

Well, not really... I'm not that old, but I saw documentaries about it on The History Channel.
Putin,Xi and our enemies know one thing about Americans… Americans have NO patience. They can simply “out wait” us… and they will.

Because I understand what the purpose of an “opinion/ editor’s pagg he e” is FAU.
Blame my public school education for that, I guess. I know where ciggy’s stuff is coming from…the difference is Ciggy ain’t passing his stuff of as gospel or “Fox facts”….
This is from the same source as ciggy uses. Blame your public school education for not catching that, I guess.

Washington Post prints both sides of most issues. That is what good newspapers do. They invite folks familiar with the issues to write their opinions for ALL to read.
That allows @ubdecuseds” to draw their own opinions based on facts abs argument.
Really? Based on Ciggys constant and relentless postings they are all one sided. Never seen anything from him from another point of view.

Seems like leading the world in green energy would be wise so Russia and China don’t impact us.

Remember when Trump sanctioned Nord Stream 2 in the name of European security?

And then remember when Biden lifted sanctions in the name of mending European relations?

Really? Based on Ciggys constant and relentless postings they are all one sided. Never seen anything from him from another point of view.
Well speed, get a subscription to the Post and read their Op/Ed page yourself……Ciggy is under no “fair play” obligation to you or this board…Why do you hold Ciggy to an standard you refuse to adhere to?

That and Europe wouldn't really enforce the sanctions. They would simply buy under the table

Sorry, but doing the right thing to save future generations from extinction is a bit more important than worrying about whiny spoiled Americans bitching about gas prices that he has no control over. I realize most selfish, self centered greedy Republicans don't seem to be able to recognize this.

Sorry, but doing the right thing to save future generations from extinction is a bit more important than worrying about whiny spoiled Americans bitching about gas prices that he has no control over. I realize most selfish, self centered greedy Republicans don't seem to be able to recognize this.
Seems like you think very highly of yourself and nobody is as perfect as you are. Congratulations!

Yes...screwing over current generations by letting them get slaughtered, while doing something you have no clue is going to have an impact on future generations, is not only selfish, it's dumb as shit.

Reactions: Speedway1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT