ADVERTISEMENT

Watched 95 uconn-Iowa game

FairfIowafan1984

HR All-State
Sep 7, 2016
Iowa
i was bored last night and that game popped up on utube. So I watched it because that may be my favorite Iowa teams with settles, kingsbury, woolridge,Murray, Bowen. Anyways it was the championship game of a early tourney.

I remember being so mad I was 10 because it was on ESPN 2 and back then We couldn't get espn2. I remember we won and uconn had a super star named Ray Allen "Jesus shuttlesworth".

We won in overtime 101-95, we were up by 20 in the first half then nobody could score for Iowa but Kingsbury had 29 pts in the second half tied and game on a fadeaway 3. If you ever have time that's a great game to watch it should be on big Ten classics.

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
I loved that game. Kingsbury was fearless in the second half. He was shooting the ball from Steph Curry land in the 2nd half. Dr. Tom!!!

Reactions: FairfIowafan1984
I believe that was the Alaska Shootout tournament and I was on the road from holidays in Iowa to Maryland (moved to MD in spring 95 for job). Kept me entertained and drove the 1100 miles back straight through other than pit stops. Spent big $'s to get a large dish set up to watch all Hawk games not being showed in MD. Back then, you could find free/unscrambled feeds on various satellites.

Kingsbury is the greatest shooter in Hawkeyes history I got a picture with him when I was a kid he was my favorite player. I never realized how huge he was I was in awe. I really loved those teams just wish kingsbury issues his senior year didn't happen and settles back didn't go out like 2nd game of the season.

We had final four potential with that team. And I'll never understand why woolridge wasn't drafted I looked up his overseas numbers 5 years ago he was averaging 27 points 10 assists. If bobby jackson made it andre would have been better.

It probably was the great Alaskan shootout we used to play in that ever year and lose to duke, but did we beat them once anybody remember?

Also it should be called chris kingsbury range when steph shoots. I remember during warm ups chris would shoot from half court and drain it.

I was living in Slater Hall back then and of course we couldn't get ESPN 2 in the dorms. So my friends and I somehow ended up at the old Holiday Inn bar in Coralville to watch that game. For some reason we couldn't find any other place that was carrying the game.

Loved watching Woolridge play, he was totally screwed by the Big Ten for player of the year his senior year. Bobby Jackson numbers were worse and he was cheating to even get on the court.

I was living in Slater Hall back then and of course we couldn't get ESPN 2 in the dorms. So my friends and I somehow ended up at the old Holiday Inn bar in Coralville to watch that game. For some reason we couldn't find any other place that was carrying the game.

Loved watching Woolridge play, he was totally screwed by the Big Ten for player of the year his senior year. Bobby Jackson numbers were worse and he was cheating to even get on the court.
Big Ten was in league with Minnesota that year. Minnesota got caught and Big Ten saved face by making the Gophers the scapegoat.

I'm gonna go with that because it makes me feel better.......................

Kent McCausland was the better shooter of the 2. I recall him leading the country in 3 point shooting at one point in his career. He probably finished in the range of 45-50% for his career. If it wasn't for him we would have never beat Kansas that year to break their 60 some game win streak against non-conference opponents. Kid could really shoot it. Now Kingsbury on the other hand was more spectacular with the range he had and his fearless get out of my face I'm gonna bury a 35 footer attitude. Good times for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: K OKeefe
My Minnesota cousins even said that was bs that andre didn't win player of the year he's the only player to ever lead the Big ten in scoring and assists in the same year.

Minnesota won the big ten that year if I remember right but Iowa was 2nd right? Andre may be the most screwed Hawkeye of all time. Should have been a first round draft pick, should have won player of the year. I remember I was in Illinois at the airport and a bunch of Illinois fans said "how did Andre not get drafted in the NBA he was the best player in the league" I said also not getting player of the year they didn't know and looked at me shocked saying who won it over him.

Reactions: Kurt Warner
My Minnesota cousins even said that was bs that andre didn't win player of the year he's the only player to ever lead the Big ten in scoring and assists in the same year.

Minnesota won the big ten that year if I remember right but Iowa was 2nd right? Andre may be the most screwed Hawkeye of all time. Should have been a first round draft pick, should have won player of the year. I remember I was in Illinois at the airport and a bunch of Illinois fans said "how did Andre not get drafted in the NBA he was the best player in the league" I said also not getting player of the year they didn't know and looked at me shocked saying who won it over him.

Agree, Andre was an absolute beast. When the shot clock was dwindling Andre would take over. Other teams knew he was the man and was gonna get the ball but there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it and was the same as unstoppable. Yep, like 1984 says it was probably the biggest screw job of all time that he didn't win mvp..still can't believe it. He is one of my favorite hawks of all time. Thanks nebraska, could you please send another Andre Woodridge our way?

What I would give for another Andre woolridge I was at the black and gold blowout when he was first enterduced to hawk fans he threw no look passes and the guys would drop it or go through there hands. I was amazed and my dad said he's just way to good for these guys.

When the NBA draft started he was projected the 28th pick when bobby jackson was picked I think 22nd I was just waiting for him to get drafted next.

To this day I still can't figure out how he didn't get drafted....by the way hawk fans look up his overseas numbers they are amazing.

And Nebraska will never produce a better basketball player than him so don't count on them giving us another one.

Andre was the 1st to lead league in scoring and assists, but it's been done since him. Marcus Taylor - MSU

What killed Andre's NBA chances was Dr. Tom's zone defenses. He never had to work on containing an NBA PG and at the Draft Camp that year he got exposed by some really good quick PG's from that class. Andre later had another shot with Denver as he dropped some bulk and got quicker and was going to make the Nuggets but the NBA went on strike and he opted for guarenteed cash overseas.

Didn't know that 2432hawk crazy I'm shocked that he did that I never thought of him as a great player....who's stats were better though? Wasn't Andre 20.5/6.2 something along those lines.

Agree, Andre was an absolute beast. When the shot clock was dwindling Andre would take over. Other teams knew he was the man and was gonna get the ball but there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it and was the same as unstoppable. Yep, like 1984 says it was probably the biggest screw job of all time that he didn't win mvp..still can't believe it. He is one of my favorite hawks of all time. Thanks nebraska, could you please send another Andre Woodridge our way?
What he said!!!

Andre's agent had a promise from some team, I think it was the Nets, so he cancelled workouts with other teams on the advice of his agent, he then had a bad workout with the Nets before the draft and they went with someone else was the story I was told by his brother but I was drunk when I met him in vegas so take it for what you want.

i was bored last night and that game popped up on utube. So I watched it because that may be my favorite Iowa teams with settles, kingsbury, woolridge,Murray, Bowen. Anyways it was the championship game of a early tourney.

I remember being so mad I was 10 because it was on ESPN 2 and back then We couldn't get espn2. I remember we won and uconn had a super star named Ray Allen "Jesus shuttlesworth".

We won in overtime 101-95, we were up by 20 in the first half then nobody could score for Iowa but Kingsbury had 29 pts in the second half tied and game on a fadeaway 3. If you ever have time that's a great game to watch it should be on big Ten classics.
The BTN will replay "The Game" between OSU and Michigan 100 times before they will show that game.

Kingsbury is the greatest shooter in Hawkeyes history I got a picture with him when I was a kid he was my favorite player. I never realized how huge he was I was in awe. I really loved those teams just wish kingsbury issues his senior year didn't happen and settles back didn't go out like 2nd game of the season.

We had final four potential with that team. And I'll never understand why woolridge wasn't drafted I looked up his overseas numbers 5 years ago he was averaging 27 points 10 assists. If bobby jackson made it andre would have been better.

It probably was the great Alaskan shootout we used to play in that ever year and lose to duke, but did we beat them once anybody remember?

Also it should be called chris kingsbury range when steph shoots. I remember during warm ups chris would shoot from half court and drain it.
Iowa beat Duke in Hawaii in 94-95, lost to them in 95-96 in Alaska.

Remember every single broadcaster would refer to him as "Woodridge" I swear Espn never got it right once.....woodridge for three, he pretty much by himself almost beat Kentucky his senior year he had like 34 I believe we lost by 4? Think they were a 1 seed Kentucky. God I miss those days and carver was always rocking.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Remember every single broadcaster would refer to him as "Woodridge" I swear Espn never got it right once.....woodridge for three, he pretty much by himself almost beat Kentucky his senior year he had like 34 I believe we lost by 4? Think they were a 1 seed Kentucky. God I miss those days and carver was always rocking.

And we still played crap teams back then, yet people showed up

Yeah have been very disappointed in the crowds at carver. Think people are too lazy to go anymore, that and the 60-65 inch hd tvs haven't helped either. I'll have to admit watching on my 60 in with the fireplace going is not bad at all, not bad at all.

Completely agree. I am guilty as well. It's just really hard to be a die hard fan in both football and hoops. Lots of schools don't have to worry about one or the other.

Not trying to derail the fond memories of the Iowa vs. UConn game; however, this was another Iowa Classic with arguably the best Iowa team ever.

Kind of like the Bizon.
Extra Special Pronunciation Ninnies. / ESPN

Kent McCausland was the better shooter of the 2. I recall him leading the country in 3 point shooting at one point in his career. He probably finished in the range of 45-50% for his career. If it wasn't for him we would have never beat Kansas that year to break their 60 some game win streak against non-conference opponents. Kid could really shoot it. Now Kingsbury on the other hand was more spectacular with the range he had and his fearless get out of my face I'm gonna bury a 35 footer attitude. Good times for sure.
I'm good friends with AJ Guyton and he told me Kent was one of the purest shooters he ever saw in his college days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT