ADVERTISEMENT

Water taxi starts Monday at closed Black Hawk Bridge

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
While the Black Hawk Bridge remains closed, commuters now will have a way to get themselves — but not their cars — across the Mississippi River at Lansing.

Starting Monday, a free water taxi will cross the river there at certain times of the day for seven days a week until the bridge is repaired and reopened to traffic, the Iowa Department of Transportation announced Friday.

Commuters crossing the river from Allamakee County to Crawford County in Wisconsin — or vice versa — can drive to designated parking lots and be picked up by a shuttle and taken to the water taxi. The shuttle and the water taxi are free. The crossing will take about 30 minutes, the Iowa DOT said.

The historic Black Hawk Bridge was ordered closed Feb. 25 after two piers shifted, causing the structure to move. The Iowa DOT said the repairs may take until the end of April. Meanwhile, construction on a $140 million replacement for the bridge started last year just 50 feet to the north of the structure — but won’t be done until 2026, the Iowa DOT said.

There are over 2,200 trips a day over the Black Hawk Bridge. But while it’s closed, the two closest bridges over the Mississippi are miles away — either to the south using Highway 18 between Marquette and Prairie du Chien, Wis., or to the north, crossing the river on Highway 14 between La Crescent, Minn., and La Crosse, Wis.

The new water taxi will travel between the Lansing Marina and the Big Slough Landing and will be available seven days a week at these times:

• 7 to 10 a.m.

• 11 to 1 p.m.

• 3 to 6 p.m.

On the Iowa side, parking and a free shuttle to the water taxi is available at the Lansing City Hall (201 John St.) and at Middle/Kee High School (269 Center St. in Lansing). Parking is from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

On the Wisconsin side, drivers will need to park at the DeSoto Community Center (57 Crawford St. in De Soto) and take a shuttle to the water taxi. Parking is from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Parking is not allowed at the Big Slough Landing.

They need one of these, except bigger.

KLJRQW2QKEVSWLLKMWGTEEP4IA.jpg

Curious if they can figure out something like the Cassville Ferry. Granted, this would be an open water solution, but still...better than nothing.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Curious if they can figure out something like the Cassville Ferry. Granted, this would be an open water solution, but still...better than nothing.
Yeah, looks like you need to have a vehicle parked on both sides of the river instead of riding in your vehicle across and back.

Reactions: bagdropper
Yeah, looks like you need to have a vehicle parked on both sides of the river instead of riding in your vehicle across and back.

That's what I was thinking too.

I'm curious of those 2,200 daily trips, how many are people actually crossing for work versus people just passing through. I'm betting maybe tops 20%. That whole area is rather sparsely populated on both sides of the river.

Lansing to Ferryville WI (right across the river) is 52.8 miles per Google maps. Yikes!

Reactions: cigaretteman
Thanks for sharing! I've always enjoyed trying out different ways to get around. One of my favorite experiences was riding in a limo from Limo Miami—it was unforgettable! Seeing initiatives like the free water taxi during bridge repairs is really cool. It's important to have alternative options for commuters, and it's great to see efforts being made to keep things running smoothly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT