ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City police investigating stabbing

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The Iowa City Police Department has identified this man who may have witnessed a stabbing Saturday. (Iowa City Police Department) The Iowa City Police Department has identified this man who may have witnessed a stabbing Saturday. (Iowa City Police Department)
IOWA CITY — The Iowa City Police Department is investigating a stabbing that happened over the weekend under the Benton Street Bridge.

Yossarian Ulyesses Williams, 47, of Iowa City, has been charged with willful injury causing serious injury in relation to the stabbing, which happened at about 1:20 p.m. Saturday under the Benton Street Bridge, according to a news release from the police department.

Flourish logoA Flourish map

Williams was arguing with another person before he started stabbing him in the chest, shoving him into the river and telling him he was going to die, according to a criminal complaint against Williams.

The victim had emergency surgery at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, and is in critical condition, the complaint states. The identity of the victim has not been released.

Williams is being held in the Johnson County Jail on a cash-only $10,000 bond.

Investigators are attempting to identify a potential witness to the stabbing, and released a photo of the person Monday. The witness is described as a white or Hispanic man with a long beard wearing all blue clothing and carrying a blue backpack.

What ever happened to @JackieTreehorn? He used to laugh when I said riding under the Benton Street bridge was a risk. Any of you IC guys, @lucas80 see the expanded Hobo Camp on the east side of the river north of Benton Street? Meanwhile the Johnson County Supervisors are totally gutting a totally functional administration building to the tune of 10 plus millions, while our jail needs replaced to house the influx of out of state criminals that have been pouring in. Johnson County Supervisors are the most inept bunch of useless people in government I've ever seen...

What ever happened to @JackieTreehorn? He used to laugh when I said riding under the Benton Street bridge was a risk. Any of you IC guys, @lucas80 see the expanded Hobo Camp on the east side of the river north of Benton Street? Meanwhile the Johnson County Supervisors are totally gutting a totally functional administration building to the tune of 10 plus millions, while our jail needs replaced to house the influx of out of state criminals that have been pouring in. Johnson County Supervisors are the most inept bunch of useless people in government I've ever seen...
So, run for office. It sounds like you have it all figured out.

Reactions: HawkMD
So, run for office. It sounds like you have it all figured out.
You too...

They are going to have to do something about that homeless camp by the river. Because it seems to be getting bigger by the day, and it’s only going to get tougher.

That’s not the first time someone got stabbed under that bridge. One time I went to Brueggers, and the cops were finishing up with a crime scene in the parking lot. Blood everywhere. I go inside and ask the worker what happened, and he said a homeless guy got stabbed in the neck under the bridge and stumbled to the store looking for help.

You too...

I’m fine. I vote with my tourism dollars. You are the one who wants to subsidize pickleball on the backs of the taxpayers

Reactions: HawkMD
I think it's the homeless dudes attacking each other, I doubt they're gonna go after a regular civilian out for a walk or a bike ride. It is jarring in the summer taking that bike path south along Riverside Drive, you go past the Ice Cream place with the families and happy people on a Friday or Saturday night, go over those two cool foot bridges and then you're into homeless mess.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Meanwhile the Johnson County Supervisors are totally gutting a totally functional administration building to the tune of 10 plus millions, while our jail needs replaced to house the influx of out of state criminals that have been pouring in. Johnson County Supervisors are the most inept bunch of useless people in government I've ever seen...
Haven't there been several bond referendums for a jail that have failed?

Haven't there been several bond referendums for a jail that have failed?
Yes, but no referendum was required for spending millions renovating the administration building which was perfectly functional...

Here are some of the arguments presented by opponents of the jail bond:

– The new 195-bed jail has drawn the most attention, with critics of the proposal saying too many people are arrested, minorities are jailed at disproportionately higher rates and the justice center proposal is too expensive. Jeff Cox, a University of Iowa professor who has campaigned against the justice center, said he'd support more space for jail alternative programs and the expansion of court facilities. But he believes something closer to 150 jail beds, not the 195 proposed, is the appropriate number. “They're using (jail alternatives) as a kind of Trojan horse to expand the number of people incarcerated,” he said.

– Martha Hampel of Iowa City, another leader on the anti-justice center side, said she thought the jail diversion programs pursued by the county were fantastic, but she does not believe a new facility is necessary to do them. She said alternatives could be found, like renting space, and voting down the justice center bond would force the county to think outside the box. “I think they're literally stuck in this giant box that is the proposed justice center,” Hampel said.

Reactions: pjhawk
Most of them don’t belong in jail, but the county just built a big new homeless center. There are more resources in Iowa City than in most communities. They should use them, and stay overnight in the approved locations, or the city should move them along.
You cannot allow a large tent city to form there, or it’s going to be very hard to undo.
They’ll end up wishing they were more proactive.

Most of them don’t belong in jail, but the county just built a big new homeless center. There are more resources in Iowa City than in most communities. They should use them, and stay overnight in the approved locations, or the city should move them along.
You cannot allow a large tent city to form there, or it’s going to be very hard to undo.
They’ll end up wishing they were more proactive.
Same issue in Minneapolis/St Paul. The cities have many “tent cities” and they get moved from time to time and pop back up. It sad because most of these folks don’t want to go to a shelter. There are 100s of not 1000s of night beds open in the cities; but they check for drugs, alcohol and weapons so a lot of these folks simply won’t go.

• Love
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
They actually clean that up? Figured they enshrined that kind of graffiti down there.
Million dollar plus clean up. The university actually did...

The UI has collected photographs and images of graffiti for the UI Libraries' special collection in order to document the protests.

“The spray-painting has been preserved in photographs and will, I hope, contribute to educational programming across our campus for years to come,” then-executive vice president and provost Montserrat Fuentes said in the release. “But what is most important is that we work with the communities that are suffering and struggling to be heard to ensure that their voices are amplified and that we continue to learn and move toward meaningful change.”

‘Archiving the movement'​

To preserve the messages, UI Libraries will collect photos in an 'institutional archive” that will grow and expand with additional documents, video clips, sound recordings and first-person narratives, according to UI officials.

The Old Capitol Museum and Stanley Museum of Art will work with UI Libraries to ensure the collection is not static, 'but becomes a platform for interactive engagement, collecting and retelling first-person stories of individuals whose contributions to the campus community are underrepresented in the archives.”

Images of the graffiti eventually will be made available online, according to Margaret Gamm, head of the UI Special Collections and University Archives.

'This process ensures the photos will be easy to access and will raise the visibility of the vital information they contain: the voices of marginalized people,” she said in a statement.

They are going to have to do something about that homeless camp by the river. Because it seems to be getting bigger by the day, and it’s only going to get tougher.

That’s not the first time someone got stabbed under that bridge. One time I went to Brueggers, and the cops were finishing up with a crime scene in the parking lot. Blood everywhere. I go inside and ask the worker what happened, and he said a homeless guy got stabbed in the neck under the bridge and stumbled to the store looking for help.
Happens 5 times a day it seems in California cities. Homelessness & illegal immigrants are a serious issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT