ADVERTISEMENT

WBB game thread: Southern @ # 4/6 IOWA

I was curious so I looked back at past schedules. I believe 34 points is the fewest Iowa has allowed to an opponent since November 2016. Obviously Southern isn't very good, but Iowa surrendered 67 to them last year.

We still have a long way to go, but this is a good start on the defensive end.

Wetering has looked fantastic. Such a shame we didn't get to see her these past two years!

Too bad about Hannah picking up those early fouls. Hopefully she gets more run time in the second half.

Oh, can we please never schedule this opponent again?
Ugliest basketball I've ever witnessed
Will get nothing but bruises from this game.
Seriously I doubt there has ever been a team this bad play in Carver

Ugliest basketball I've ever witnessed
Will get nothing but bruises from this game.
Seriously I doubt there has ever been a team this bad play in Carver
I did not like all the fouls. That was not BB it was a street fight in the 1st quarter. I wouldn't say that Iowa gets nothing out of the game, as they learned to adapt to the style of a play and find some success. I also think Molly Davis getting extended minutes will help. I thought the team actually flowed better early on with Molly running the point because it changed the focus of the defense.

Clark also needs to learn to give up the ball instead of trying to force the offense when teams get so physical with her. She was incredibly rattled in the early minutes before she twisted her ankle about being fouled constantly. I think Bluder also needs to recognize the way Clark is being played and get Davis into the game as another ball handler to force defenses to play off. Bluder needs to improve at situational subs. Clark seemed much calmer when she came back from the locker room and got into the groove. She's such a great player she just needs to learn to not let the other team get her so flustered.

When Clark went down (scary) and Molly was running the offense, the focus shifted and the spacing immediately opened up. I also think Molly being smaller and incredibly agile (seriously that girl moves like a ninja in traffic) is advantageous when teams are basically jamming the guards like a WR (best I can describe that style of play).

Other takeaways -- Gabbie's floater game is much improved. She looked good yesterday and I was really proud of her given her past struggles. Hannah had a few mental errors early but came back late in the game and was unstoppable.

Addy hit a 3. Could be a sign of things to come. McCabe saw extended minutes and looked really excellent. She is so much more than just a shooter.

I do agree that I hope we never play Southern again. I have concerns about players getting injured. I'm sure we can find a team that plays a physical style of defense that plays under control as some of those fouls were easily preventable.

I did not like all the fouls. That was not BB it was a street fight in the 1st quarter. I wouldn't say that Iowa gets nothing out of the game, as they learned to adapt to the style of a play and find some success. I also think Molly Davis getting extended minutes will help. I thought the team actually flowed better early on with Molly running the point because it changed the focus of the defense.

Clark also needs to learn to give up the ball instead of trying to force the offense when teams get so physical with her. She was incredibly rattled in the early minutes before she twisted her ankle about being fouled constantly. I think Bluder also needs to recognize the way Clark is being played and get Davis into the game as another ball handler to force defenses to play off. Bluder needs to improve at situational subs. Clark seemed much calmer when she came back from the locker room and got into the groove. She's such a great player she just needs to learn to not let the other team get her so flustered.

When Clark went down (scary) and Molly was running the offense, the focus shifted and the spacing immediately opened up. I also think Molly being smaller and incredibly agile (seriously that girl moves like a ninja in traffic) is advantageous when teams are basically jamming the guards like a WR (best I can describe that style of play).

Other takeaways -- Gabbie's floater game is much improved. She looked good yesterday and I was really proud of her given her past struggles. Hannah had a few mental errors early but came back late in the game and was unstoppable.

Addy hit a 3. Could be a sign of things to come. McCabe saw extended minutes and looked really excellent. She is so much more than just a shooter.

I do agree that I hope we never play Southern again. I have concerns about players getting injured. I'm sure we can find a team that plays a physical style of defense that plays under control as some of those fouls were easily preventable.
I agree Gabe. As crazy good as Clark is the one way to get her out if her game is to be extremely physical with her, and get her flustered. She needs to calm and hit all those free throws and let the game come to her when teams try that tactic. We saw it last year from Indiana and some other BIG teams.....

Agree, get CC flustered she forces things. Hate seeing her jawing a ref in transition to defense with the ball in play and not in position to defend or know where the ball even is.

Reactions: undersized_post
Agree, get CC flustered she forces things. Hate seeing her jawing a ref in transition to defense with the ball in play and not in position to defend or know where the ball even is.
This is one of the things she was working on in the off-season. Not sure how you do that though. Maybe take notes from Keegan Murray?

Wetering has looked fantastic. Such a shame we didn't get to see her these past two years!

Too bad about Hannah picking up those early fouls. Hopefully she gets more run time in the second half.

Oh, can we please never schedule this opponent again?
Hannah entered the game [briefly] late in the first quarter and was quickly (1 minutes 18 seconds) whistled for two offensive charges (which also accounted for two turnovers). She was able to get untracked in the third and fourth quarters scoring all of her 10 points in just over 13 minutes. In that same time she also pulled down 6 rebounds (2 of which were offensive for put backs) and contributed 1 assist, 1 steal, and 1 block. She also led the team for the second half with a plus 20 +/- after leading the team with plus 51 in the exhibition with Nebraska Kearney. If she continues to play like this and increases her minutes, I am optimistic that she can average a double double and win B1G post season honors.

If Shateah continues her impressive play, Kate and Sydney might get fewer minutes.

I was impressed also with Taylor and Molly although the later is less surprising with her extensive college experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: undersized_post
Saying Clark shouldn't react to fouls is easier said than done. On one play last night she literally got hit hard enough that it drew blood and no foul was called.

In hockey if a penalty draws blood it is usually elevated to a double-minor. In women's college basketball, it earns the sport's most watchable player a blank stare and no call from the officials.

Saying Clark shouldn't react to fouls is easier said than done. On one play last night she literally got hit hard enough that it drew blood and no foul was called.

In hockey if a penalty draws blood it is usually elevated to a double-minor. In women's college basketball, it earns the sport's most watchable player a blank stare and no call from the officials.
I don’t disagree, but if every non call means a player can mentally take themselves out of the game to protest hurts the team.

That is a guy who is trying to sound like he is smarter than he is. AIA methodologies. Lol
I think All Iowa Attack is a really good AAU program, but player performance against Southern University isn't high on the list of things I would cite to support that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT