ADVERTISEMENT

we have to get a big bruiser

Kurt Warner

HB Heisman
Jan 12, 2010
Iowa
We need to get a big bruiser to iowa city to have any chance against teams like this. Gonzaga was and is the better team no doubt but still a nice season for the hawks. Looking forward to the future.

If Woodbury isn't a big bruiser, what is he?

Just wondering, no troll. I'd just say he is as much a "big bruiser" as anyone else in the B1G

Woody is 245 lbs who went up against a player that was close to 300 lbs, that makes Woody a toothpick. there was talk of a 300 lb Center being talked about a few weeks ago, that would fit the bill. to compete tonight IA needed someone 275+ lbs.

A big bruiser is definitely not what we need. We need to not hedge screens so far out on the perimeter, which is what got our bigs out of position all game. Fran stuck with the zone far too much and we gave up open shots, and to Zags credit they knocked them down. Their bigs wouldn't have hurt us if we would have been in position, we just never were because we hedge too hard and played zone defense the other part of the time.

Their big bruiser didn't play a lot of the game where they kicked our Zone Defense's ass. They do have big guys(not counting their bruiser) that can take it outside(and make layups). That is what we need. Make an outside shot, and spread the floor.

It will happen. Fran will get it done. I just hope we get some shooters in next year. We will see what we have in November....

Originally posted by iowaguy88:
A big bruiser is definitely not what we need. We need to not hedge screens so far out on the perimeter, which is what got our bigs out of position all game. Fran stuck with the zone far too much and we gave up open shots, and to Zags credit they knocked them down. Their bigs wouldn't have hurt us if we would have been in position, we just never were because we hedge too hard and played zone defense the other part of the time.
That's exactly my frustration with this game. I didn't like Fran's defensive gameplan. They exploited it early and often.

Tend to agree.... We haven't had a guy that "wore out" opposing bigs since Reggie Evans right?

It might also help Woodys case if he could develop ONE post move. I think he's a good player and like having him, but he's almost a liability on offense

Originally posted by yiana:
I saw Whitey on Karnokskiy and I thought it was Gesell. Dude is enormus.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
DId you see Ndiaye for UC Irvine? He's 7'6"/300lbs- serious presence who's going to have a future. Made their game vs Louisville look like Gulliver's Travels.

Agreed on Woody's offense. There was a possession in the first half where he had it at the top of.the key with no where to go. He put the ball on the floor and tried to work his way in to the paint... it was just painful. If he had a jump shot, he would be far more dangerous.

Originally posted by wyohawk:

Just wondering, no troll. I'd just say he is as much a "big bruiser" as anyone else in the B1G
Quite simply the most non-athletic big man I've ever seen play the game.

First off woody ain't developing any post moves. Basketball is a game of position. Keep good position and things will happen. Lets see I got a seven footer who is slow and fouls a lot let me put him thirty ft from the basket trying to guard a 6 footer. That is piss poor coaching. If it were me he would camp out in the paint and stay there.

This. We played a lot of match-up zone. And that left our guys clueless as to who they were defending down low, or blocking out. Not to mention numerous mismatches... . When I saw Woody on the perimeter defending a 6'4" guard, only to get burned down low, I knew we were screwed...
Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:
That's exactly my frustration with this game. I didn't like Fran's defensive gameplan. They exploited it early and often.

Originally posted by ISPHawk:

Originally posted by wyohawk:

Quite simply the most non-athletic big man I've ever seen play the game.

7'1 and he can barely dunk. Short reach and near zero vertical. He's a solid Power conference part time center. He has his moments, but clearly our bigs were outclassed by Gonzaga.

Truth---but this team still loses to Gonzaga 8/10 times. If there's any consolation, we just really aren't talented enough to beat a team like that in a de facto road game

Originally posted by chaoshawk:
First off woody ain't developing any post moves. Basketball is a game of position. Keep good position and things will happen. Lets see I got a seven footer who is slow and fouls a lot let me put him thirty ft from the basket trying to guard a 6 footer. That is piss poor coaching. If it were me he would camp out in the paint and stay there.
Ok... so what are you going to do when your opponent is running pick and rolls? Keep Woody in the paint while the ball handler goes around a screen for an open jumpshot?

Someone needs to go out to Stoney Brook and assist Jameel Warney in graduating early so he can transfer in next year. He is exactly what this team needs!

This. We played a lot of match-up zone. And that left our guys clueless as to who they were defending down low, or blocking out. Not to mention numerous mismatches... . When I saw Woody on the perimeter defending a 6'4" guard, only to get burned down low, I knew we were screwed...
Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:

Originally posted by Kurt Warner:
We need to get a big bruiser to iowa city to have any chance against teams like this. Gonzaga was and is the better team no doubt but still a nice season for the hawks. Looking forward to the future.
Ya that would be fun watching him foul out after 2 minutes of play. Newsflash Iowa bigs will never be allowed to play as physical as that Northwestern or Gonzaga goons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT