ADVERTISEMENT

WEEK 1 IOWA HS THOUGHTS?

jerbob36

HB All-State
Dec 16, 2012
Anybody have quick synapsis of any HS games last weekend? Ankeny/Centennial? Valley/SEP? That was closer than I thought, and it sounds like Valley escaped. SEP not going away. Small school games?
If this thread is supposed to be in a different forum or gets no replies, I won't ask about HS games anymore. I just know it was a big Week 1 and many of us have dogs in the fight.

Bet on all the usual suspects to make it to the Dome and win state again.

Nobody talks about HS ball in Iowa anymore because it's boring circle jerking the same teams every year.

Imagine in Texas if the same 3-4 teams won State every year in multiple classes. That'd kill the millions of dollars worth of interest that those people have for that sport.

Food for thought for those of you supporting one of "those schools".

Stop f***ing winning. :)

I don't follow it much except checking on scores of my local team and my alma mater (both won), but I'd be happy to read about it. Sadly, as monkey pointed out, football in IA is in a pretty sorry state. KXNO still does their Friday night stuff, but my only radio is in the car, so that's no good. Someone made reference to a YT channel on the last HS thread but it was a bust as I didn't find anything like what he said there was. You can find scores on WHO's site but no write-ups. In short, coverage is pretty poor.

I would love to see some type of relegation system brought into Iowa High School football. The gap between the haves and the have nots is just too great. School enrollment isn't the equalizer that it once was. I'd love to see what some of the dominate lower A schools look like in a higher division, and give the poorer city teams a chance in the lower divisions.

Last edited:
I don't follow it much except checking on scores of my local team and my alma mater (both won), but I'd be happy to read about it. Sadly, as monkey pointed out, football in IA is in a pretty sorry state. KXNO still does their Friday night stuff, but my only radio is in the car, so that's no good. Someone made reference to a YT channel on the last HS thread but it was a bust as I didn't find anything like what he said there was. You can find scores on WHO's site but no write-ups. In short, coverage is pretty poor.

Football coverage might be in a bad state but football as a whole is in a lot better state than it was 20 years ago.

Yeah, I swung and missed at this topic.
Meh, not necessarily. Just need a better starter than talking about the Des Moines suburbs.

No one gives a f*** about them anymore except for the sleazeball, golf-bro, "okay, pal", dad-coach parents, who would all challenge the antagonist coach from the Keanu Reeves movie Hardball for the title of biggest douche bag in a non-professional sport........................

Friends? :D

I would love to see some type of relegation system brought into Iowa High School football. The gap between the haves and the have nots is too just great. School enrollment isn't the equalizer that it once was. I'd love to see what some of the dominate lower A schools look like in a higher division, and give the poorer city teams a chance in the lower divisions.

I'm all in favor of a relegation type solution when the districts change every 2 years.

That, and we need a 6A at this point, with about 12-14 schools. I live in NL and there is talk that CCA will be 5A in the next decade. I can't imagine them playing VHS or SEP, they rarely have a single OL that would play at those schools.

I'm all in favor of a relegation type solution when the districts change every 2 years.

That, and we need a 6A at this point, with about 12-14 schools. I live in NL and there is talk that CCA will be 5A in the next decade. I can't imagine them playing VHS or SEP, they rarely have a single OL that would play at those schools.
It's getting big over here and fast. Not the same place I remember when moving here 9 years ago. Unrecognizable in some ways.

Ankeny still has skill players, but was not good up front on either side of the ball. They barely even tried to run the ball, and Centennial's bubble on the edge kept growing throughout the game.

Bet on all the usual suspects to make it to the Dome and win state again.

Nobody talks about HS ball in Iowa anymore because it's boring circle jerking the same teams every year.

Imagine in Texas if the same 3-4 teams won State every year in multiple classes. That'd kill the millions of dollars worth of interest that those people have for that sport.

Food for thought for those of you supporting one of "those schools".

Stop f***ing winning. :)
You may have only been referencing 5A with your "those schools" comment...but just in case not, please understand that we waited over a half-century to finally get to the point where in the last decade or so we're routinely at or near the pinnnacle of the Iowa HS football mountain. So you'll just have to indulge us if we decide to enjoy seeing our program hang around the peak and take in the view from the top for however long it lasts.

Sincerely,
Lewis Central Alums
:cool:

P.S. - But yeah....5A.....like, don't even get Ol' Doodle started, and stuff and whatever. :) 😏

You may have only been referencing 5A with your "those schools" comment...but just in case not, please understand that we waited over a half-century to finally get to the point where in the last decade or so we're routinely at or near the pinnnacle of the Iowa HS football mountain. So you'll just have to indulge us if we decide to enjoy seeing our program hang around the peak and take in the view from the top for however long it lasts.

Sincerely,
Lewis Central Alums
:cool:

P.S. - But yeah....5A.....like, don't even get Ol' Doodle started, and stuff and whatever. :) 😏
It was for all classes and they know who they are.......... ;)

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
It's getting big over here and fast. Not the same place I remember when moving here 9 years ago. Unrecognizable in some ways.

Coming from one of the elite 5A schools (then 4A when I graduated many years ago) I wanted my kids to go to a school with 120-180 kids a class so they could shine; with my youngest graduating in 27 I think we're finishing up just in time.

Iowa should implement the playoff system used in Illinois. Technically no team knows which class they will be in until the end of the season although the smallest and largest schools have a pretty good idea. At the end of the season the top 256 teams are divided into 8 classes of 32 teams each. A team that was in 7A last year may have had a decrease in enrollment, but because they are one of the 32 largest schools to qualify, they are now in class 8A. Schools can at the beginning of the season elect to go up 1 class. Not many do but 4 did in 2023. Private schools also have a multiplier added to their enrollment which in most cases bump them up a class. They also implement a success penalty (not sure of the qualifiers) but the state will move you up a class if you are too successful. So, what teams make the playoffs? All conference champions automatically make the playoffs and every team that has won 6 games or more make the playoffs. In most years a handful of teams with 5 wins (see playoff points) have made the playoffs. Finally, teams are seeded within the class. 1A through 6A are broken into two geographic areas and teams are seeded in the geographic area. The top two classes are seeded 1 through 32 regardless of geographic location. Seeding is based first on wins and then playoff points. Points are determined by the total number of wins the teams have that you played. So, if a team you played goes 8 and 1 you get 8 playoff points and so on.
It's not perfect, but it tends to prevent long championship runs. In the last 5 years 4 teams have won the 8A title. The one team that won twice is a private school that has a multiplier added to its enrollment and elected to play up one class Like I said it's not perfect, but it seems to be a lot better than what Iowa uses.

Iowa, at the 5A level, is going to be a little ridiculous for a while. There has been a juggernaut team that goes on runs though for decades. IMO it’s SEP’s turn now and it’s going to take a reshuffling of powers to unseat them.

Coming from one of the elite 5A schools (then 4A when I graduated many years ago) I wanted my kids to go to a school with 120-180 kids a class so they could shine; with my youngest graduating in 27 I think we're finishing up just in time.
My graduating class was like 600-700 kids in Texas. I wish, wish, wish I was at a smaller school like you're speaking about. I get it.

Iowa should implement the playoff system used in Illinois. Technically no team knows which class they will be in until the end of the season although the smallest and largest schools have a pretty good idea. At the end of the season the top 256 teams are divided into 8 classes of 32 teams each. A team that was in 7A last year may have had a decrease in enrollment, but because they are one of the 32 largest schools to qualify, they are now in class 8A. Schools can at the beginning of the season elect to go up 1 class. Not many do but 4 did in 2023. Private schools also have a multiplier added to their enrollment which in most cases bump them up a class. They also implement a success penalty (not sure of the qualifiers) but the state will move you up a class if you are too successful. So, what teams make the playoffs? All conference champions automatically make the playoffs and every team that has won 6 games or more make the playoffs. In most years a handful of teams with 5 wins (see playoff points) have made the playoffs. Finally, teams are seeded within the class. 1A through 6A are broken into two geographic areas and teams are seeded in the geographic area. The top two classes are seeded 1 through 32 regardless of geographic location. Seeding is based first on wins and then playoff points. Points are determined by the total number of wins the teams have that you played. So, if a team you played goes 8 and 1 you get 8 playoff points and so on.
It's not perfect, but it tends to prevent long championship runs. In the last 5 years 4 teams have won the 8A title. The one team that won twice is a private school that has a multiplier added to its enrollment and elected to play up one class Like I said it's not perfect, but it seems to be a lot better than what Iowa uses.
So if I'm to understand this correctly, 8n Illinois, schools play in their own conferences much like they would in basketball or baseball in Iowa, and are then broken into "classes" for the postseason, at the end of the year, based on enrollment size?

Or is there some ranking involved based on their success?

"Private schools also have a multiplier added to their enrollment"

I thought it was for all open boundary schools(primarily private) schools.

The issue that no one wants to talk about is recruiting at the high school level. It might be less active recruiting by coaches and staff, but once one team gets on a roll it becomes a magnet for talent from the area. When your school has to compete against these powerhouse schools (which is also playing your most talented kids against you, it becomes too much to overcome.

Iowa, at the 5A level, is going to be a little ridiculous for a while. There has been a juggernaut team that goes on runs though for decades. IMO it’s SEP’s turn now and it’s going to take a reshuffling of powers to unseat them.
SEP lost to Valley week 1 so perhaps the unseating has begun?

The issue that no one wants to talk about is recruiting at the high school level. It might be less active recruiting by coaches and staff, but once one team gets on a roll it becomes a magnet for talent from the area. When your school has to compete against these powerhouse schools (which is also playing your most talented kids against you, it becomes too much to overcome.
So we set roster limits and recruiting ranking limits.

No more than 1 player that is gonna go on to play college ball is allowed to play per DSM suburb team at any given time.

That will solve many problems. ;)

Do any of the top programs schedule regional out of state games ? Living in KC now you see the local bigger programs cross scheduling Arkansas, Missouri and Nebraska schools. Don't think I have ever seen Iowa schools in that rotation.

"Private schools also have a multiplier added to their enrollment"

I thought it was for all open boundary schools(primarily private) schools.
About IL and the system. Hint, Mt. Carmel is a private school. 10 of 16 Champions over 2 years are not Public Schools. Per 8A, you can't get bumped up from there.

1ALena (L.-Winslow)14-0Ric ArandCamp Point (Central)13-1Brad Dixon30-8
2ADecatur (St. Teresa)14-0Mark RamseyDowns (Tri-Valley)11-3Josh Roop29-22
3AElmhurst (IC Catholic)13-1Bill KrefftWilliamsville12-2Aaron Kunz48-17
4ASpringfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin)14-0Ken LeonardNew Lenox (Providence Catholic)9-5Tyler Plantz44-20
5ALaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy)10-4Tim RackiPeoria (H.S.)12-2Tim Thornton45-44
6AEast St. Louis (Sr.)12-2Darren SunkettCrystal Lake (Prairie Ridge)12-2Chris Schremp57-7
7AChicago (Mt. Carmel)14-0Jordan LynchBatavia10-4Dennis Piron44-20
8AWilmette (Loyola Academy)13-1John HolecekFrankfort (Lincoln-Way East)13-1Rob Zvonar13-3
2023-241ACamp Point (Central)14-0Brad DixonLena (L.-Winslow)13-1Ric Arand14-0
2AWilmington13-1Jeff ReentsAthens11-3Ryan Knox28-3
3AByron14-0Jeff BoyerMt. Carmel12-2Michael Brewer69-7
4ARochester14-0Derek LeonardBurbank (St. Laurence)10-4Adam Nissen59-38
5ALaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy)9-5Tim RackiJoliet (Catholic Academy)10-4Jake Jaworski38-20
6ACary (C.-Grove)12-2Brad SeaburgEast St. Louis (Sr.)11-3Darren Sunkett23-20
7AChicago (Mt. Carmel)13-1Jordan LynchDowners Grove (North)11-3Joe Horeni35-10
8AWilmette (Loyola Academy)

So everyone (well a lot) get a ribbon? 7 classes for 3 million people. IL has 9 for 12 million.

I would love to see some type of relegation system brought into Iowa High School football. The gap between the haves and the have nots is just too great. School enrollment isn't the equalizer that it once was. I'd love to see what some of the dominate lower A schools look like in a higher division, and give the poorer city teams a chance in the lower divisions.
The "free and reduced lunch" % has been integrated into school classification, it brought a few schools down a classification and made others remain where they are. As well, expanding to a 5A class and attempting to keep enrollment gaps no more than 2x the enrollment has moved some around as well.

Alas, the "haves" (Dowling, Valley, Xavier, etc) and the "have nots" (CR Wash, Ottumwa, Waterloo East, DM North, etc) remain at the top and bottom of their new classes.

So everyone (well a lot) get a ribbon? 7 classes for 3 million people. IL has 9 for 12 million.

Yes, 1 more team would get a ribbon.

The difference in money and size of the DM suburban schools gives them an absurd advantage over the other teams in 5A right now. It's been 15 years since anyone outside the DM burbs have won a title and I think IC and Bettendorf are the only teams to win a title this century at the top level. That isn't changing anytime soon.

It's not always about wins and losses, it's, what is best for the kids? In the 90's we'd just paste Lincoln and DM East, so what happened? Numbers continued to drop in participation at those schools; who wants to go get your teeth kicked in week in, week out. Then what happens to those kids, missing out on the opportunity to be coached, learn leadership, and discipline.

There are many benefits to athletics bigger than wins.

Last edited:
About IL and the system. Hint, Mt. Carmel is a private school. 10 of 16 Champions over 2 years are not Public Schools. Per 8A, you can't get bumped up from there.

1ALena (L.-Winslow)14-0Ric ArandCamp Point (Central)13-1Brad Dixon30-8
2ADecatur (St. Teresa)14-0Mark RamseyDowns (Tri-Valley)11-3Josh Roop29-22
3AElmhurst (IC Catholic)13-1Bill KrefftWilliamsville12-2Aaron Kunz48-17
4ASpringfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin)14-0Ken LeonardNew Lenox (Providence Catholic)9-5Tyler Plantz44-20
5ALaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy)10-4Tim RackiPeoria (H.S.)12-2Tim Thornton45-44
6AEast St. Louis (Sr.)12-2Darren SunkettCrystal Lake (Prairie Ridge)12-2Chris Schremp57-7
7AChicago (Mt. Carmel)14-0Jordan LynchBatavia10-4Dennis Piron44-20
8AWilmette (Loyola Academy)13-1John HolecekFrankfort (Lincoln-Way East)13-1Rob Zvonar13-3
2023-241ACamp Point (Central)14-0Brad DixonLena (L.-Winslow)13-1Ric Arand14-0
2AWilmington13-1Jeff ReentsAthens11-3Ryan Knox28-3
3AByron14-0Jeff BoyerMt. Carmel12-2Michael Brewer69-7
4ARochester14-0Derek LeonardBurbank (St. Laurence)10-4Adam Nissen59-38
5ALaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy)9-5Tim RackiJoliet (Catholic Academy)10-4Jake Jaworski38-20
6ACary (C.-Grove)12-2Brad SeaburgEast St. Louis (Sr.)11-3Darren Sunkett23-20
7AChicago (Mt. Carmel)13-1Jordan LynchDowners Grove (North)11-3Joe Horeni35-10
8AWilmette (Loyola Academy)
A lot of reading. Is the multiplier just for private schools or all non boundary(primarily private) schools?

My apologies for not phrasing it as a question the first time. No jeopardy points for me

Yes, 1 more team would get a ribbon.

The difference in money and size of the DM suburban schools gives them an absurd advantage over the other teams in 5A right now. It's been 15 years since anyone outside the DM burbs have won a title and I think IC and Bettendorf are the only teams to win a title this century at the top level. That isn't changing anytime soon.

It's not always about wins and losses, it's, what is best for the kids? In the 90's we'd just paste Lincoln and DM East, so what happened? Numbers continued to drop in participation at those schools; who wants to go get your teeth kicked in week in, week out. Then what happens to those kids, missing out on the opportunity to be coached, learn leadership, and discipline.

There are many benefits to athletics bigger than wins.
CR Xavier won it all in 2006, but your point still stands, in the last 24 seasons teams outside of the DSM metro have only won 4 football titles in the largest class level.

Week1 results
W'burg still solid but will see how they stack against Xavier this Friday.
Xavier had a squeaker with WSR. Schulte could have his hands full with W'burg.
Solon flipped the script on Dav Assumption, will get to see how good they are vs an experienced CCA team.
CBLC took it to Harlan, a little surprising to me.
Liberty and IC West were in the BIG12 last week with the points they scored and no defense.
ICH got woodshedded by an IL power, they should bounce back.

The "free and reduced lunch" % has been integrated into school classification, it brought a few schools down a classification and made others remain where they are. As well, expanding to a 5A class and attempting to keep enrollment gaps no more than 2x the enrollment has moved some around as well.

Alas, the "haves" (Dowling, Valley, Xavier, etc) and the "have nots" (CR Wash, Ottumwa, Waterloo East, DM North, etc) remain at the top and bottom of their new classes.
Wash has dropped off bigly in the last few years. Weren't they nationally ranked when they had Arrington at WR a few years ago? Waterloo is planning to consolidate East and West into one school in 2028. Will be interesting to see if that goes through, and what it will mean for them.

A lot of reading. Is the multiplier just for private schools or all non boundary(primarily private) schools?

My apologies for not phrasing it as a question the first time. No jeopardy points for me
Non-boundaried school programs not eligible for a waiverA sport or activity program at a particular non-boundaried school is not eligible for an automatic waiver duringthe two-year classification period if, over the course of the previous two (2) school terms, the program (as ateam) has accomplished any of the following:Wins a trophy at the state finals, orIn Football, accomplishes the following:• Wins at least three playoff games

Alright, I think after reading it about 38 times, I've figured out what you mean by how they do things, so I'll work on conferences for that later.

What I'd do with the current setup of the top 36 teams in Class 5A is consolidate it to just 4 conferences making up the largest schools.

-16 teams make the playoffs
-top 3 from each conference are guaranteed a spot
-remaining 4 spots are at-large berths
-top 2 seeds host 1st Rd games
-Regular season is 8 conference games, and 1 non-con

Here's how I'd divide 5A:

Central Iowa Metro League-
Ankeny
Ankeny Centennial
Johnston
Urbandale
Southeast Polk
West Des Moines, Dowling
West Des Moines, Valley
Waukee
Waukee Northwest

Iowa Crossroads Conference- (because every school is connected by the major roads HWY-20 and I-35)
Ames
Des Moines North*
Des Moines East
Des Moines Lincoln
Des Moines Roosevelt
Sioux City East
Sioux City North
Cedar Falls
Waterloo West **

Mississippi Athletic Conference-
Bettendorf
Davenport Central
Davenport North
Davenport West
Dubuque Hempstead
Dubuque Senior
Pleasant Valley
Muscatine
Ottumwa

Mississippi Valley Conference-
Marshalltown
Linn-Mar
Cedar Rapids Jefferson
Cedar Rapids Kennedy
Cedar Rapids Prairie
Cedar Rapids Washington
Iowa City High
Iowa City Liberty
Iowa City West

*-an exemption would be made for Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln, so that they can stay paired with more of the teams in their region, and not be a complete geographical outlier in 5A. DSM North currently has a total BEDS over 1,000 and given their natural fit with the other metro schools, that is why they replace CBAL

**- Waterloo East and West will be merging into one centrally-located HS, expecting to start in 2028, which will make it one of, if not THE largest school districts in the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonerfarts
Non-boundaried school programs not eligible for a waiverA sport or activity program at a particular non-boundaried school is not eligible for an automatic waiver duringthe two-year classification period if, over the course of the previous two (2) school terms, the program (as ateam) has accomplished any of the following:Wins a trophy at the state finals, orIn Football, accomplishes the following:• Wins at least three playoff games
Ummm….. okay?
So who gets the multiplier?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT