ADVERTISEMENT

Western Kentucky to wear red jerseys during planned 'white out' game after rival's cheeky decision

I've got a CSB somewhat related to this story.
This took place over 40 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. In basketball, teams switch ends of the floor at halftime. And it is customary for teams to be playing on offense in front of their own bench for the second half. But that's not written in stone. At least back then it wasn't. Technically, the road team got to choose which end of the floor they want to start the game. We were playing on the road at a major rival. Our coach knew that the home team would be warming up on their usual end of the floor to start games so he held us in the locker room until they had taken the floor. Once they were out there doing their drills, we came out and kicked them off that end of the floor.
Their coach was pissed, but the ref explained that the visiting team gets first choice and they would have to move. It must have gotten in their heads because we ended up winning by a comfortable margin.
Point being, if WKU is worried about what color their uniforms are, EKU has the edge.

Why Penn State doesn't wear white uniforms during its White Out Game​

"First of all, part of the White Out is the contrast. It helps us if everybody else is in white, it makes our players stand out on the field for our quarterback and those types of things. That’s the first thing. The other thing is, we can’t wear white at home. There’s NCAA rules. We can’t show up and wear whatever we want to wear. We would have to get permission from the opposing team to allow us wear white, and I would never do that for anybody else, so we haven’t even kind of gone that route.”

640px-Big_Red_WKU_Mascot_Image.jpg

It’s obvious to everyone that the Hilltopper Mascot is really Grimace’s bastard son, isn’t it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT