ADVERTISEMENT

What do you consider to be the defining dish when trying a new regional / ethnic restaurant?

I'm a big get the dish the area is famous for at least a couple times when traveling.

Memphis I'm getting the ribs
Texas is brisket
New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Maryland Crab cakes
Key West getting the key lime pie and a fish sandwich
Iowa an Iowa Chop
Phoenix the tacos
Massachusets the chawdur

so on and so on

When I travel in the United States or Canada I always: 1) Try the famous local specialties, 2) try the regional pizza variety if any, 3) try the regional BBQ if any, 4) try the local seafood if any, and 5) try any world famous restaurants in the area.

This strategy has served me well. USUALLY the originator of a dish or a famous restaurant for x recipe makes a decent to great food item. Only occasionally have I been disappointed using this strategy and I can name them. For example IMO’s may be epitome of St Louis Style pizza but it’s the worst pizza I’ve ever had anywhere.

not GIF

First, great question.

When I went to Italy the first meal I had was lasagna and it blew my mind. Totally different appearance and taste than your typical Moms lasagna. So how, when I see a new Italian place down here I will always order it. If it’s trash, I’ll never go again.

This is actually pretty damn accurate. Illinois is tavern style pizza though. Wisconsin is close, but that cheese needs to be fried curds. The loose meat sandwich is every bit an equal to sweet corn in Iowa. Same for the Juicy Loosey in Minnesota. Michigan (though its a "Greek chili dog", not Coney), New Mexico (though it could be a green chili burger too), North Carolina, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, and Connecticut are the other states I know well from family, and those are all spot on.

You're doing it wrong. Marinate them in brine it first, then replace the leaves before grilling.

I've grilled mine before...in yhe husks after soaking. But that's, essentially, steaming the corn in the husks.

That's different than husking the corn and placing it direct on the grates...like shown in that list. The way they show is a bad way to cook corn.

When I travel in the United States or Canada I always: 1) Try the famous local specialties, 2) try the regional pizza variety if any, 3) try the regional BBQ if any, 4) try the local seafood if any, and 5) try any world famous restaurants in the area.

This strategy has served me well. USUALLY the originator of a dish or a famous restaurant for x recipe makes a decent to great food item. Only occasionally have I been disappointed using this strategy and I can name them. For example IMO’s may be epitome of St Louis Style pizza but it’s the worst pizza I’ve ever had anywhere.
Honestly, that rectangular shit pizza they served in elementary school is light years better than IMO's.

Honestly, that rectangular shit pizza they served in elementary school is light years better than IMO's.

I agree with that. I’ve even made school pizza from scratch using authentic recipes and that’s when I learned we were all lied to and that the “sausage pizza” we all thought we were eating was just ground beef with a little basil and Italian seasoning.

Other famous dishes/restaurants that nowhere matched the hype include The Shed in Ocean Springs Mississippi and The Drover in Omaha Nebraska, but the worst meal I’ve ever had on vacation was at M. Manze in London. M. Manze is a 123 year old restaurant that is famous for being London’s best meat pies, best jellied eel and best stewed eel. I love Japanese eel dishes but both the jellied and stewed English style eels were horrifically bad. But surprisingly even worse was the meat pie. I had fantastic versions in New Zealand, Australia, Wales and Scotland and decent ones in the US, Canada and other parts of England, but the Manze version was probably the most disgusting thing I’ve purposefully eaten. And then top all that off, the only real drink they have is a lukewarm sassafras drink that tastes NOTHING like good American sassafras.

Reactions: Tenacious E
At a Vietnamese restaurant, you always gotta try the Pho. The Pho really should be the all-star dish (i.e. the thing they do best) on any Vietnamese restaurant's menu.

If the Pho is no good, chances are nothing on the menu is good.

It takes time, patience and skill to make a good Pho broth.

I believe you can tell a lot about a place as to whether or not they have calamari on the menu, and if they do, how well it is prepared. That is my main measuring stick.
So many places destroy calamari that I’ve stopped ordering it.

North Indian. Lamb Korma
South Indian. Paper Dosa

Most Indian joints fail badly.
I don’t know if it was north or south, or an Americanized version, but the wife and I went to a place called Anita’s in Bend tonight. It smelled AMAZING from the parking lot, but the “Open”, light was off. An overly polite lady came out and told us they’d closed for the day due to a holiday and she had been unable to cook meat, and was prepping for a Saturday feast.
North, South, or Americanized? I really wanted the lamb.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I don’t know if it was north or south, or an Americanized version, but the wife and I went to a place called Anita’s in Bend tonight. It smelled AMAZING from the parking lot, but the “Open”, light was off. An overly polite lady came out and told us they’d closed for the day due to a holiday and she had been unable to cook meat, and was prepping for a Saturday feast.
North, South, or Americanized? I really wanted the lamb.
Yes. It's a hindu festival called Navratri.

In the south, the best way to know if a bbq or soul-food type place is good is by their collard greens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT