ADVERTISEMENT

What does Fran say to his team after again giving up 60% shooting at home?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
"dont worry guys, we will outscore them" well maybe sometimes. Just incredibly bad to give up such great visitor shooting two games in a row.

I would love to see Fran focus on some semblance of a tough Duke, Knight IU, UNLV, Virginia type top defense. I dont think Fran's team have gotten hardly any big time stops in the last 10 years. As someone else posted "soft soft soft..."

I know a guy ... :)

AP_18295546080184-scaled-e1673050154405-1024x683.jpg

Fran addressed the defense and wasn't happy. Neither was Connor when he chewed Kris M's butt out for lazy d. When P-Mac plays better than Kris it's because of effort. Not great that uhlis and perkins seemed to completely disappear last night either. If Fran is as pissed as i think he is we should see a better effort on Thurs but if Kris decides to just get his 20 points on 25 shots then we aren't going past the first round in either tournament.

Fran addressed the defense and wasn't happy. Neither was Connor when he chewed Kris M's butt out for lazy d. When P-Mac plays better than Kris it's because of effort. Not great that uhlis and perkins seemed to completely disappear last night either. If Fran is as pissed as i think he is we should see a better effort on Thurs but if Kris decides to just get his 20 points on 25 shots then we aren't going past the first round in either tournament.

I also wondered what was up with Perkins and Uhlis, Perkins especially as he has the ability to really excel in all areas and has done it. Someone posted that maybe Perkins wasnt getting the ball enough and wasnt running the point, and I think Perkins does need the ball more. Too much dribblng by Connor and Uhlis.

I wouldnt mind Uhlis starting each possession at the point but he dribbles in place too much and isnt penetrating, bending the defense , and then scoring or hitting open teammates

Reactions: Bishop1971
I also wondered what was up with Perkins and Uhlis, Perkins especially as he has the ability to really excel in all areas and has done it. Someone posted that maybe Perkins wasnt getting the ball enough and wasnt running the point, and I think Perkins does need the ball more. Too much dribblng by Connor and Uhlis.

I wouldnt mind Uhlis starting each possession at the point but he dribbles in place too much and isnt penetrating, bending the defense , and then scoring or hitting open teammates
Perkins is the only player that will take it to the rim in traffic.

Not sure why they don't zone more or match up zone that works for a couple of stops they did that against Indiana

Fran assured Perkins and Uhlis disappeared as they were not on the court nearly enough. The lineup he had out there with around 5 minutes left was incredibly slow. Cmac, Sandfort, and Pmac were the 1,2,3. I was telling my wife that we were going to get shredded defensively at that time, and we did. Stops were going to be what would win that game.

Fran assured Perkins and Uhlis disappeared as they were not on the court nearly enough. The lineup he had out there with around 5 minutes left was incredibly slow. Cmac, Sandfort, and Pmac were the 1,2,3. I was telling my wife that we were going to get shredded defensively at that time, and we did. Stops were going to be what would win that game.
Especially Payton and PMAC amd they had size on who they were guarding

That lineup also made mistakes on offense

That lineup also made mistakes on offense
Connor and Uhlis should never be on the floor together. Neither are offensive threats. But alas, our defense is terrible. We lack size, quickness and strength for the BIG. Just a middle of the road team.

Reactions: CarterHall

I don't equate Kris shooting 3/12 from 3pt line and PMAC shooting 5-8 from 3pt line as a difference in effort between the two. One can suggest that Kris should have driven the ball more instead of settling for some deep 3pt shots he took.

Doubling Walker in post, trapping ball handlers,, full court press---Nebraska passed out of these double teams to wide open 3pt shooters. Fan's defense is geared towards less physical contact to avoid fouls and creating turnovers to generated easy fast break points and speed p the opponent----more possessions/more points for everyone. Doesn't work when an opponent has 3 or 4 guys knocking down 3pt shots at 54% clip. The nebraska game looked similar in effort to MSU game, but Iowa guys didn't knock down 3's.

Iowa managed to finish Dead Last in B1G in both opponent 3pt FG% defense (36.5 %) and overall FG % defense (47.4)....Iowa was of course also last in points allowed. Everybody scores a lot vs Iowa and at high efficiency. That has to be on Fran's system--how he plays defense, offense, who he subs, who he recruits.

I don't equate Kris shooting 3/12 from 3pt line and PMAC shooting 5-8 from 3pt line as a difference in effort between the two. One can suggest that Kris should have driven the ball more instead of settling for some deep 3pt shots he took.

Doubling Walker in post, trapping ball handlers,, full court press---Nebraska passed out of these double teams to wide open 3pt shooters. Fan's defense is geared towards less physical contact to avoid fouls and creating turnovers to generated easy fast break points and speed p the opponent----more possessions/more points for everyone. Doesn't work when an opponent has 3 or 4 guys knocking down 3pt shots at 54% clip. The nebraska game looked similar in effort to MSU game, but Iowa guys didn't knock down 3's.

Iowa managed to finish Dead Last in B1G in both opponent 3pt FG% defense (36.5 %) and overall FG % defense (47.4)....Iowa was of course also last in points allowed. Everybody scores a lot vs Iowa and at high efficiency. That has to be on Fran's system--how he plays defense, offense, who he subs, who he recruits.
And defensive effort. Like the lazy close outs on those open threes is ticking me off. Everything you said is accurate as well but i want to see more effort from the players. I see the women's team close out harder than the men's team all the time

"dont worry guys, we will outscore them" well maybe sometimes. Just incredibly bad to give up such great visitor shooting two games in a row.

I would love to see Fran focus on some semblance of a tough Duke, Knight IU, UNLV, Virginia type top defense. I dont think Fran's team have gotten hardly any big time stops in the last 10 years. As someone else posted "soft soft soft..."
Yeah, that’s what he said- jeepers some of you truly must be happier in this dark space.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT