ADVERTISEMENT

What happens if Wiegers has to come in during the game?

Feb 10, 2012
Can Wiegers do enough to win the game if he had to come in? I saw him in the North Texas game, but I think that is the only game he has been in this year? Would the staff have to simplify the game plan for him or being a redshirt freshman, he knows the offense and just needs more snaps?

He does the best that he can and let the chips fall where they may? The dude obviously can play QB.

Sounds crazy but in a defensive battle I would take Ryan Boyle any day of the week if by some horrible consequence both QB's go down.

The playcalling would be about 80% runs. And we'd probably end up losing. It happens.

Iowa might come close, but if Weigers comes in they won't see 7-0. It's not even a given that Iowa wins with CJB.

He does the best that he can and let the chips fall where they may? The dude obviously can play QB.

Sounds crazy but in a defensive battle I would take Ryan Boyle any day of the week if by some horrible consequence both QB's go down.
I keep thinking of the Stanzi injury and redshirt freshman Vandenberg had to come in during the game against Northwestern.

Reactions: thewop
None of us have seen him take a meaningful snap so it's basically impossible to predict. Sounds like he's made some pretty big strides since bowl prep according to the coaches. From the sounds of it talent will never be the issue with him.

I do wonder if CJ is really, really hurting but can play, if they feel confident enough in him to take some key snaps.

Forget Weigers...Put D King at q.b. He runs behind 9 blockers or hands off to J. Canzeri who runs the other direction behind 9 blockers. No passes attempted. If we don't score, Kidd punts the shit out of the ball.

The playcalling would be about 80% runs. And we'd probably end up losing. It happens.
One of the scary things about that is that supposedly he only played shotgun in high school and had no experience taking snaps under center. At the first spring scrimmage, he fumbled two snaps. Assuming he has improved since then, but the running game may not be in his wheelhouse.

Well if this does happen....

-Iowa will try to run the ball successfully
-If Iowa can't run the ball with their bread and butter, we'd see the conservative passes off of play action and my guess is the staff would try to throw in the jet sweep or something.
-If it's necessary and the game depended on it, we'd have to let Wiegers air it out. Win or lose...

We will do what every other team does when #1 goes down. Play #2 and hope for the best. Sometimes the results are much better than expected but usually there is a drop off.

Vandenberg played very well in the first game he knew he'd have to play in, the OSU game. I expect the same from Wiegers.

Yesterday CJB said something to the effect that he won't need to participate physically this week to be prepared because the biggest component of QB preparation is mental. This leads me to think Weigers will be getting a lot, if not most, of the snaps this week in practice. He'll likely be able to execute the game plan if called upon. Hopefully.

Reactions: icu81222
I say start Weigers and have done with it

My thinking as well.

If you read the quotes from yesterday, it sounds like CJB isn't ready to practice yet, so Wiegers will be with the #1's if all true.

I know CJ has said he doesn't necessarily "need to practice"...but I have a real hard time thinking if he doesn't practice at all, that he'd play.

If it come to jeopardizing the rest of the regular season versus missing only NW - if up to me, Wiegers starts.

Wiegers has zero experience so if he has to come in, hope for the best and expect the worse.

My thinking as well.

If you read the quotes from yesterday, it sounds like CJB isn't ready to practice yet, so Wiegers will be with the #1's if all true.

I know CJ has said he doesn't necessarily "need to practice"...but I have a real hard time thinking if he doesn't practice at all, that he'd play.

If it come to jeopardizing the rest of the regular season versus missing only NW - if up to me, Wiegers starts.

From what I was told by someone that saw some of the practices, Wiegers was getting all of the 1st team reps earlier in the week.

I think Wiegers would do ok. I don't think he would be any worse than Northwestern's QB.

What about a Wildcat Jay Scheel? Maybe not completely ready to be a starting receiver, but he's been quite a QB before. Wouldn't have to burn a Boyle or Cook redshirt.

I wouldn't be shocked if Wiegers starts. This NWwestern game is not our season if we do well in the final 5 games

5f8769b4-f54e-4790-98b4-697644f03789.jpg

What happens if Wiegers has to come in during the game?

We beat Northwestern and half of the posters here start bitching when CJ starts the next game because we aren't playing the best guy?

CJ is clearly the guy that shifts the odds the most in terms of odds of winning.
I think with him they are about even money.
Without him, I'd give them a 10% chance of pulling off a victory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT