ADVERTISEMENT

What Happens to Ukraine if Trump or Another R Becomes President and the Rs Hold Congress?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
That was the question raised by some Euro minister on Al Jazeera. Obviously he was worried that after pushing the war hard, the US would leave its NATO allies holding the bag.

What do you think the answer to his question is?

Sure, the war might be over by then, but our own experience in Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam make clear that we shouldn't count on that.

It would probably just leave Europe having to pick up the bill a bit more, but maybe it allows others to aid Russia more as America takes inaction.

Or

Republicans just use their messaging skills to proclaim the democrats were going about it all wrong and feed the MIC with more money for Ukraine.

It would probably just leave Europe having to pick up the bill a bit more, but maybe it allows others to aid Russia more as America takes inaction.

Or

Republicans just use their messaging skills to proclaim the democrats were going about it all wrong and feed the MIC with more money for Ukraine.
They could to a certain extent, but half our aid comes in the form of weapons, and Europe might be unwilling to fill that gap if Trump or someone else was threatening NATO.

They could to a certain extent, but half our aid comes in the form of weapons, and Europe might be unwilling to fill that gap if Trump or someone else was threatening NATO.
Alternatively, it could be the final straw that convinces Europe it can't count on the US any more. It's pretty clear from watching foreign media that without Biden they might already be there.

Alternatively, it could be the final straw that convinces Europe it can't count on the US any more. It's pretty clear from watching foreign media that without Biden they might already be there.
I think they’d get there pretty quick with a second round of Trump. They’d all convinced themselves that war in Europe wasn’t possible. And here it is.

I just think they’d be unwilling to give up weapons to Ukraine when they’re worried about filling the gap.

This war will be over in the next 2 years. I would guess no more than 6 months, but its lasted longer than I expected already. I was expecting September October

Reactions: h-hawk
I think they’d get there pretty quick with a second round of Trump. They’d all convinced themselves that war in Europe wasn’t possible. And here it is.

I just think they’d be unwilling to give up weapons to Ukraine when they’re worried about filling the gap.
I also saw something on France24 today saying several of the nations supplying Ukraine are running low on their own ammunition reserves. Someone said they only stock 30 days worth.

I wonder how they calculate 30 days worth in peace time.

Reactions: mnole03
This is what Putin is banking on
Interesting point. If Putin thinks Trump or a Trump type will win, that's incentive for him to reject a negotiated settlement until then.

At the moment not many are talking about negotiations. Zelensky has ruled out giving up territory - including Crimea - and we have publicly stated we'd let Ukraine make that choice.

So a negotiated settlement isn't in sight for now. But most sane commentators are saying that has to happen eventually. Because . . . the alternatives look even more dangerous.

Most Republicans support Ukraine and loathe trump. Congress would pass veto proof legislation. I hope.

I certainly hope trump doesn’t win; however, if he does, the US would send weapons immediately and troops eventually if it’s still going on. I highly doubt it lasts more than another year though

Is that sarcasm?

If Trump was ever in the WH again, Republicans would be good little soldiers and bow to Russia.

Of course, that's if Trump's Russian financing is a "forgivable loan".
Holy hell - no. Love your hatred towards republicans though.

You guys are acting like the republicans aren’t hypocrites and don’t love making money off war lol. The right will keep this going because war is good for bizness

That was the question raised by some Euro minister on Al Jazeera. Obviously he was worried that after pushing the war hard, the US would leave its NATO allies holding the bag.

What do you think the answer to his question is?

Sure, the war might be over by then, but our own experience in Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam make clear that we shouldn't count on that.
It depends on what the brilliant Republican leader, Margorie Taylor Greene decides…since the Speaker will never abandon her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT