ADVERTISEMENT

What has gotten into Kirk Ferentz???

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
Do you like the new Kirk or the old Kirk better?
tongue.gif

Meet the new Ferentz, way different from the old Ferentz
The days of the Hawkeyes taking a knee and OT appear to be over

Marc Morehouse, The Gazette
SEPTEMBER 20, 2015 | 2:15 AM
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...z-way-different-from-the-old-ferentz-20150920

IOWA CITY — 52 seconds on the clock. Ball at the 30. This is where Kirk Ferentz takes a knee and shifts into thoughts on overtime.

He gears down. He thinks cautiously. He doesn’t want any sudden movements. Don’t do anything risky. Take the knee, go into OT.

You wanted a new Kirk Ferentz. You got a new Kirk Ferentz.

Late Saturday night, the Hawkeyes had 52 seconds left on the clock. They had the ball on their 30-yard line. The game was tied 24-24 after Pitt drove 75 yards for a touchdown.

New Kirk went for the win and the Hawkeyes (3-0) delivered.

Seven plays, 31 yards and all 52 seconds later, Marshall Koehn tied a Kinnick Stadium record with a 57-yard field goal as time expired in the Hawkeyes 27-24 victory.

You’ve seen New Kirk fake some field goals, and that’s been lighthearted fun for everyone. Like funny “HAHA,” but let’s not get crazy with “New Kirk” talk. Saturday night was another level. The situation was similar at Ohio State in 2009. The Hawkeyes went into overtime and fell a game short of their first Rose Bowl since 1991. Obviously, the stakes weren’t as high Saturday night, but you certainly could argue the new breeze that seems to be blowing through Iowa football was in the balance.

Take a knee and go into overtime, tell your players you’ll take your chances with the percentages. Or go for it and tell your completely fresh narrative.

“He’s putting confidence in us,” wide receiver Matt VandeBerg said. “He feels comfortable about where we’re at. Obviously, we need to continue to push forward, but I think as far as where we’re at, we want to be the aggressors, we want to go out there and score every time we get the football.”

New Kirk knew that Pitt (2-1), which piled hit after hit on quarterback C.J. Beathard, would blitz and fly up field. It didn’t matter. Beathard scrambled 12 yards on first down. Then, a 4-yard pass to tight end Henry Krieger Coble. Another Beathard scramble up the middle for 7 yards.

Suddenly, Pitt’s calling the timeout. Pitt is on its heel and Iowa is the aggressor here. New Kirk, and staff, is pressing buttons, putting the pressure at the feet of the other sideline.

What’s gotten into your coach?

“I don’t think anything has gotten into him,” said Beathard, who completed 27 of 40 passes for 258 yards and rushed eight times for 39. “We work those situations a lot in practice. Forty seconds left in the game, get it here for a field goal. We work those situations all the time in practice.”

You could probably make a strong argument that Beathard is the impetus for New Kirk. While arguments are being made, you might be able to say Beathard is the most physically skilled QB Ferentz has had in his 17 seasons.

Beathard took Pitt’s best. Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi is a brilliant defensive mind. Old Kirk might’ve said something about Beathard doing his job. New Kirk said this:

“I tell you, if anybody’s ever had questions about that, I want to talk to them,” Ferentz said about Beathard’s toughness. “He looks like a nice guy and he is a really nice guy. He’s a nice young man, but I’ll tell you, he’s hard as nails.”

This harmonic convergence of New Kirk and a QB who while he took off on a scramble with 8 seconds left in the game kept his eye on the clock the whole time and made sure to go to the turf with at least two seconds left, has unlocked this offense.

It was a jagged line Saturday night. Iowa has thrown 40 passes in just 11 games the last seven seasons and is just 4-7, with No. 4 coming Saturday night against Pitt. New Kirk might know that number, but hey, whatever works, right?

“It shows he has confidence in us as an offense to do the job,” Beathard said. “We did it today and that’ll let him know in the future that we can take those chances.”

Old Kirk hated the rubgy punt. New Kirk threw it out there Saturday night. And he did it with Koehn, his kicker, and it went 64 yards with no return and was downed at Pitt’s 4. Old Kirk loved the tight ends. New Kirk might still love them, but Iowa has a formation this season with zero tight ends on the field.

Old Kirk loves that 22 personnel on offense, two running backs and two tight ends. New Kirk keeps that around, but Saturday night, on a third-and-1 from Pitt’s 31 in the second quarter, the old 22 morphed into a spread and forced Pitt to call a timeout.

Old Kirk was conscious of his actions. New Kirk seems to be making sure nothing gets lost in translation. He’s confident in his players, and his players read that loudly and clearly.

“He has a lot of confidence in us,” wide receiver Tevaun Smith said. “He knows these types of wins can take the team a long way. If we execute and he gives us that confidence in a game, it’s going to take us a long way.”

l Comments: (319) 398-8256; marc.morehouse@thegazette.com

If we lose last night I doubt people are saying this stuff. As long as we stay unbeaten he has changed, the minute we lose it will be the same ole KF. Just a guess but I know this board pretty good. :) It's kind of like this great play calling by Greg Davis. When we lose, his play calling sucks again.

KF has changed because he found a QB that can run, has guts and can lead! I hope he notes the difference and quits recruiting slow-footed pocket-only passers.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
He's all in because he knows he has a Sunday quarterback with this much talent early in his junior year.

If we lose last night I doubt people are saying this stuff. As long as we stay unbeaten he has changed, the minute we lose it will be the same ole KF. Just a guess but I know this board pretty good. :) It's kind of like this great play calling by Greg Davis. When we lose, his play calling sucks again.

I can only speak for myself, But if he again trust's his team to move the ball into scoring position and it backfires, I will not be one of the ones criticizing the decision. For me it's not about still being unbeaten, It's about playing for the win vs hoping for a mistake from your opponent. Last night the other teams coach played "not to lose", Our coach played to win, I like the odds on the team that plays to win.

I agree with you to a degree. The fairweather/bandwagon section of our fan base are easy to figure out. When Iowa wins Kirk's a genius when we lose he's an idiot. That being said even Kirk admitted he needed to change some things. He didn't go to the level the TCU coach did last year. But you can tell a difference.

Enjoy the ride...this team chemistry seems to be working. No superstars just a bunch of gritty effort guys that have each other's back. Pitt hit them in the mouth and they got back up and kept working. A win like last night will help them again and again.

Pretty bush league article. KF was actually very aggressive last year frequently going for it on 4th downs. This year, we have started off winning the close ones, so this stuff is written.

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
It would have been interesting to see what he would have done if King had been tackled inside the 10 on the kickoff.

Pretty bush league article. KF was actually very aggressive last year frequently going for it on 4th downs. This year, we have started off winning the close ones, so this stuff is written.
Agreed. Coach Ferentz is the MAN. We are lucky to have him. He is pure class.

Reactions: icu81222
I've seen this KF before. The big difference is QB play. Beathard is saving KF's job. To me this is more about Beathard then it is about KF. The big plays in that last drive are with Beathard running the ball. KF has trusted some QB's and not trusted others during his tenure at Iowa. He trust CJ this year and is letting him make plays to win games. I will say the play calling was really good against Pitt. KF even said they didn't think they could run the ball against Pitt which led to better play calling in my opinion. It also lead to a much better game to watch as a fan. I don't need us to run a spread offense to like the play calling. Just take some shots here and there and don't be so afraid to throw the ball. We saw that kind of play calling against Pitt and it was a fun game to watch. Is this really too much to ask of this staff?

Last edited:
He went for it a lot, but I remember the situations being different. And the attitude behind it. Like he was trying real hard to prove he wasn't a stubborn git, but when it was crunch time the stubborn git still folded up. Even in that great three year run he showed a lot of the same tendencies. But he had defenses that kept opponents from being in the game and these situations from arising. Now he's being assertive and aggressive situationaly. It's not even working all the time, or even close, but the attitude seems different. Maybe it's perception and I'm being fooled, but it all just feels different.

And why? Easy. He's a smart man and knew drastic measures were needed to reignite the program, or he was out on his can. Thankfully for him, and us, it's paid off so far in spades.

Reactions: icu81222
I've seen this KF before. The big difference is QB play. Beathard is saving KF's job. To me this is more about Beathard then it is about KF. The big plays in that last drive are with Beathard running the ball. KF has trusted some QB's and not trusted others during his tenure at Iowa. He trust CJ this year and is letting him make plays to win games. I will say the play calling was really good against Pitt. KF even said they didn't think they could run the ball against Pitt which led to better play calling in my opinion. It also lead to a much better game to watch as a fan. I don't need us to run a spread offense to like the play calling. Just take some shots here and there and don't be so afraid to throw the ball. We saw that kind of play calling against Pitt and it was a fun game to watch. Is this really too much to ask of this staff?
I agree CJB is doing one hell of a job this year, but you all do realize that he is being coached too right? What you see him do on the field is being coached and not just happening out of thin air. Sure some of the things he is doing is through natural ability, but pocket presence is also coached as well. Its not that I do not agree with you, it is more that the credit has to go to coaches when things go right too.

I don't think KF would have ever taken a knee at home with 52 seconds left before either. This wasn't Soldier Field against the '85 Bears or even at Ohio State with an erratic back-up making his first start. I think KF has been the less conservative coach in every game so far and it's worked out.

Kirk changed because I think he heard all the fan discontent and Barta heard it as well, so with the writing on the wall Kirk has become a coach again. Nice to have him back.

I keep hearing this and it makes me laugh every time.

Kirk is in charge and nobody or group of fans made him do what he is doing. This is nothing more than fans wanting a participation ribbon for the success of the team.

Reactions: downtown hawk redux
KF has changed because he found a QB that can run, has guts and can lead! I hope he notes the difference and quits recruiting slow-footed pocket-only passers.
The bad thing is that the fans, former players, and press knew he had CJ last year. I have no idea why it took him so long to "find" CJ. But.........the fact is that we love new Kirk. Let's keep it rolling.

I respectfully disagree. The two fake field goals were outrageously aggressive (though not smart imo) and have nothing to do with extra talent on the team. As a matter of fact, Koehn is unreal accurate now and is basically taking guaranteed points off the board when doing so, gambling for more.

Last year he was mind numbing conservatively dumb by not calling timeouts with ISU's final drive. We could have got the ball back with time to kick our own field goal, but out of fear (or worse) of them probably using the extra time score a TD instead.

When were in the horseshoe with Vandenberg he was insanely conservative not going for the win in regulation with PLENTY of time with a QB that was doing very good that day. This year he takes a QB with a couple starts under his belt and does what it takes to get in FG position.

He was obsessively conservative on punt returns, far more enslaved to the fear of dropping the punt versus putting a guy back there that can go for it. This year we got our crucial, best, starting DB taking returns.

Something is new, not only by his own admission, but empirically. It started when he unprecedentedly named the starting QB for this year at the end of last season. That is way out of his comfort zone. He is different with personnel, play calling, and clock management.

Kirk is in charge and nobody or group of fans made him do what he is doing. This is nothing more than fans wanting a participation ribbon for the success of the team.
Of course no one MADE him do anything. But the truth is that KF has admitted he reads what has been written and he openly stated he is listening plainly to the criticism.

For crying out loud, he teared up when the fans roared in approval on the first fake FG attempt. He cares . . . intensely. It's not the fans needing any credit, it's just seeing reality that what the fan base thinks does matter, and does affect things to some degree. It's an axiom of college football.

Last edited:
The bad thing is that the fans, former players, and press knew he had CJ last year. I have no idea why it took him so long to "find" CJ. But.........the fact is that we love new Kirk. Let's keep it rolling.
So did people like Podolak, saying things of a degree never before uttered. Only a fool doesn't eventually listen.

So, Kirk has done everything his way......The same way for 17 years without changing.....The last couple years, fans have been calling for his head......Suddenly, he is coaching like we have not seen before, and you don't think the fans had anything to do with it? Interesting.......

So, Kirk has done everything his way......The same way for 17 years without changing.....The last couple years, fans have been calling for his head......Suddenly, he is coaching like we have not seen before, and you don't think the fans had anything to do with it? Interesting.......

No I don't. He has replaced players and played younger players repeatedly in his career. He's been aggressive in the past and conservative in the past. .I've heard more than enough coaches say the quickest way to get fired is to start listing to the fans. He went for it a lot last year on 4th and short. I imagine because he thought he could lean on Brandon Scherff. This year he is being more aggressive because I think he can lean on CJ's decision making. I think he couldn't trust CJ last year and he could Jake even though he probably knew before you that CJ had a better arm. I don't think he would have kicked a 57 yard FG with Daniel Murray as our kicker but he trusted Koehn to do it. I think he bases decisions on the players he has playing out there and not the fans. You think I am wrong? He has managed to succeed quite a bit without the fans input.

I believe every decision about this program KF makes with the help of his staff and is centered around the talent on the field. None of them are listening to what the fans want IMO. Now lets keep an eye out if Iowa loses a game. Lets see if these fans go back to giving KF full credit for his decision making. I'm guessing they will. If you think you had any influence on their decision making, you are looking for a participation ribbon IMO. I've been wrong plenty times before so take it with a grain of salt.

Will we know before end of next season if this is a new Kirk? Let's see if CJB scrambles less next year, puts up purer passing numbers, and we win fewer games in '16...

Okay was only half serious there--i love the difference this year, so far.

BTW, playing JR over CJB was pure conservatism that trumps all those 4th downs we went for last year by a long shot--sick of hearing about that...

Judging by the drop in season ticket holders, I'd say maybe a NON-participation ribbon would have been a far more accurate statement. This ain't your Daddies Kirk Ferentz, not even close. Lets hope it stays that way.

Reactions: MadDogC
I respectfully disagree. The two fake field goals were outrageously aggressive (though not smart imo) and have nothing to do with extra talent on the team. As a matter of fact, Koehn is unreal accurate now and is basically taking guaranteed points off the board when doing so, gambling for more.
I was watching the coaches show last night, and on the highlight of the first FG of the game, the Pitt player on the right side of the line broke towards our sideline at the snap to stop a fake instead of going towards the middle of the field to try to block the kick. The fakes have given Koehn a couple of games of less pressure on his kicks.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
Do you like the new Kirk or the old Kirk better?
tongue.gif

Meet the new Ferentz, way different from the old Ferentz
The days of the Hawkeyes taking a knee and OT appear to be over

Marc Morehouse, The Gazette
SEPTEMBER 20, 2015 | 2:15 AM
http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...z-way-different-from-the-old-ferentz-20150920

IOWA CITY — 52 seconds on the clock. Ball at the 30. This is where Kirk Ferentz takes a knee and shifts into thoughts on overtime.

He gears down. He thinks cautiously. He doesn’t want any sudden movements. Don’t do anything risky. Take the knee, go into OT.

You wanted a new Kirk Ferentz. You got a new Kirk Ferentz.

Late Saturday night, the Hawkeyes had 52 seconds left on the clock. They had the ball on their 30-yard line. The game was tied 24-24 after Pitt drove 75 yards for a touchdown.

New Kirk went for the win and the Hawkeyes (3-0) delivered.

Seven plays, 31 yards and all 52 seconds later, Marshall Koehn tied a Kinnick Stadium record with a 57-yard field goal as time expired in the Hawkeyes 27-24 victory.

You’ve seen New Kirk fake some field goals, and that’s been lighthearted fun for everyone. Like funny “HAHA,” but let’s not get crazy with “New Kirk” talk. Saturday night was another level. The situation was similar at Ohio State in 2009. The Hawkeyes went into overtime and fell a game short of their first Rose Bowl since 1991. Obviously, the stakes weren’t as high Saturday night, but you certainly could argue the new breeze that seems to be blowing through Iowa football was in the balance.

Take a knee and go into overtime, tell your players you’ll take your chances with the percentages. Or go for it and tell your completely fresh narrative.

“He’s putting confidence in us,” wide receiver Matt VandeBerg said. “He feels comfortable about where we’re at. Obviously, we need to continue to push forward, but I think as far as where we’re at, we want to be the aggressors, we want to go out there and score every time we get the football.”

New Kirk knew that Pitt (2-1), which piled hit after hit on quarterback C.J. Beathard, would blitz and fly up field. It didn’t matter. Beathard scrambled 12 yards on first down. Then, a 4-yard pass to tight end Henry Krieger Coble. Another Beathard scramble up the middle for 7 yards.

Suddenly, Pitt’s calling the timeout. Pitt is on its heel and Iowa is the aggressor here. New Kirk, and staff, is pressing buttons, putting the pressure at the feet of the other sideline.

What’s gotten into your coach?

“I don’t think anything has gotten into him,” said Beathard, who completed 27 of 40 passes for 258 yards and rushed eight times for 39. “We work those situations a lot in practice. Forty seconds left in the game, get it here for a field goal. We work those situations all the time in practice.”

You could probably make a strong argument that Beathard is the impetus for New Kirk. While arguments are being made, you might be able to say Beathard is the most physically skilled QB Ferentz has had in his 17 seasons.

Beathard took Pitt’s best. Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi is a brilliant defensive mind. Old Kirk might’ve said something about Beathard doing his job. New Kirk said this:

“I tell you, if anybody’s ever had questions about that, I want to talk to them,” Ferentz said about Beathard’s toughness. “He looks like a nice guy and he is a really nice guy. He’s a nice young man, but I’ll tell you, he’s hard as nails.”

This harmonic convergence of New Kirk and a QB who while he took off on a scramble with 8 seconds left in the game kept his eye on the clock the whole time and made sure to go to the turf with at least two seconds left, has unlocked this offense.

It was a jagged line Saturday night. Iowa has thrown 40 passes in just 11 games the last seven seasons and is just 4-7, with No. 4 coming Saturday night against Pitt. New Kirk might know that number, but hey, whatever works, right?

“It shows he has confidence in us as an offense to do the job,” Beathard said. “We did it today and that’ll let him know in the future that we can take those chances.”

Old Kirk hated the rubgy punt. New Kirk threw it out there Saturday night. And he did it with Koehn, his kicker, and it went 64 yards with no return and was downed at Pitt’s 4. Old Kirk loved the tight ends. New Kirk might still love them, but Iowa has a formation this season with zero tight ends on the field.

Old Kirk loves that 22 personnel on offense, two running backs and two tight ends. New Kirk keeps that around, but Saturday night, on a third-and-1 from Pitt’s 31 in the second quarter, the old 22 morphed into a spread and forced Pitt to call a timeout.

Old Kirk was conscious of his actions. New Kirk seems to be making sure nothing gets lost in translation. He’s confident in his players, and his players read that loudly and clearly.

“He has a lot of confidence in us,” wide receiver Tevaun Smith said. “He knows these types of wins can take the team a long way. If we execute and he gives us that confidence in a game, it’s going to take us a long way.”

l Comments: (319) 398-8256; marc.morehouse@thegazette.com
Morehouse is an excellent sports writer. Very talented and intelligent. I listen to his podcasts too and he has a good understanding of the game.

He wrote similarly last year about the agressiveness. He has been talking quite a bit since this summer about Kirk demeanor and opening up of Fort kinnick , so to speak.

Just listen to the difference in how Kirk talks about players and the team. Even himself. No snark. More transparency.

I thought it was a very good article but I listen and read most everything Morehouse and Dochterman put out so maybe that gives a different perspective. I dunno

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT